Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 AM

374 posts, read 1,059,647 times

Advertisements

I say you should happily agree to it. Then wait until the last minute and make some excuse that you can only do it during work hours. Then do it during work hours and take your time and be happy. Or mention to your boss that if you do it during work hours, there will be a delay on your project.

Also, when you cleaned the fridge was it during work hours? Not sure why you are not okay with that. Is it impacting you projects? If it is, then let tell your boss you need an extension because you have to clean out the fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 12,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I say you should happily agree to it. Then wait until the last minute and make some excuse that you can only do it during work hours. Then do it during work hours and take your time and be happy. Or mention to your boss that if you do it during work hours, there will be a delay on your project.

Also, when you cleaned the fridge was it during work hours? Not sure why you are not okay with that. Is it impacting you projects? If it is, then let tell your boss you need an extension because you have to clean out the fridge.
I'm not the cleaning lady and I don't want to do it.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,693,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Why would you think that 'Maybe Terri can help you.' was 'volunteering you'? I wouldn't hear it that way at all ... at worst I might only hear that since the person being asked could not help, she was just giving the person asking a suggestion for where to ask next. If you are then asked, you can just politely say 'no .. would love to but it just won't work out' .. or something to that effect. And if you are feeling really generous you might then also add that 'maybe X or Y could help'.
Yes. We do that sometimes. For example, we might have someone who would be coming in at unusual hours so we would say "Maybe V or W can help you" because we know that V or W are sometimes there those hours. We aren't volunteering V or W to stay if they aren't already going to be there. We are just suggesting that the *might* be someone to ask who could help. If V or W are not going to be around that day, then it's totally fine for them to say no.

I know sometimes I have people sent to me who I can't help, and I might send people to others who can't help them. I don't feel like anyone is volunteering me for work or that I am volunteering them for work.

As to cleaning the fridge, I am not the cleaning lady and guess what? I end up cleaning out the fridge, emptying the trash, and doing a lot of things that are not my job because it's part of being in the office environment. Everyone has to be a team player and pitch in sometimes. Period.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:38 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,969,800 times
Just say no.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes. We do that sometimes. For example, we might have someone who would be coming in at unusual hours so we would say "Maybe V or W can help you" because we know that V or W are sometimes there those hours. We aren't volunteering V or W to stay if they aren't already going to be there. We are just suggesting that the *might* be someone to ask who could help. If V or W are not going to be around that day, then it's totally fine for them to say no.

I know sometimes I have people sent to me who I can't help, and I might send people to others who can't help them. I don't feel like anyone is volunteering me for work or that I am volunteering them for work.

As to cleaning the fridge, I am not the cleaning lady and guess what? I end up cleaning out the fridge, emptying the trash, and doing a lot of things that are not my job because it's part of being in the office environment. Everyone has to be a team player and pitch in sometimes. Period.
Well that's your choice. I'm not interested in cleaning a nasty fridge that I don't even use.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwithit View Post
Well that's your choice. I'm not interested in cleaning a nasty fridge that I don't even use.
It's actually not a choice. My boss is not interested in what I am not interested in. He signs my check. If I want to continue paying my mortgage, I do what I have to.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's actually not a choice. My boss is not interested in what I am not interested in. He signs my check. If I want to continue paying my mortgage, I do what I have to.

Ok.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:00 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,298,203 times
Are you new in the company? You might want to find out from your manager if these are some of the adhoc duties required of you.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:36 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwithit View Post
I'm not the cleaning lady and I don't want to do it.
Well, in an office setting -- janitorial staff doesn't clean the fridge.

At our place we all took turns. We had 50+ employees, so it really wasn't a drag and yes -- even management joined in. So once a year I had to clean the breakroom. Friday afternoon at three, everything in the fridge and freezer was tossed, including containers. Fridge was wiped down with hot water and cleaner. The microwave was wiped down, too. Coffee pots were turned off, and cleaned. Cupboards were assessed, boxes with two tea bags or cocoa packets were tossed (The packets were kept, of course) and put on the list for purchase. Aspirin bottles were shaken to see if they needed purchased. Literally, the whole thing took less than 15 minutes because since it was shared duty, people made sure they didn't make a mess, to not have a mess left for them when it was their turn.

And people didn't want to lose their expensive Tupperware. It took about a month for the word to get around this was serious, and some serious Tupperware loss and but after a month by three, the fridge was empty anyway.

It was presented to us that we were team and this was a team effort, too. It really did help management also did this task.

If there was a big cake for some reason -- that muddled things. That required paper plates and saran wrap for take homes.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Are you new in the company? You might want to find out from your manager if these are some of the adhoc duties required of you.
No not new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment