Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,583,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Would you like hydraulic oil with that burger??
better than snot and spit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,614,495 times
I'm all for this. I trust a computer to take my order more accurately than a 16 year old kid.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,995,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea44 View Post
ANYONE WHO WORKS IN FAST FOOD OR RETAIL DOES NOT DESERVE $15/HR.
THOSE JOBS ARE MEANT FOR HIGH SCHOOL KIDS JUST STARTING OUT.

THEY ARE NOT MEANT FOR 30 YEAR OLD SINGLE MOTHERS WHO CAN'T AFFORD RENT.

BY THAT AGE, you SHOULD already have a career.

This is quite literally the stupidest argument I've ever heard. No job was made for any particular demographic. Companies hire employees because they need their work to generate revenue. There is no such thing as a kid's job. This is the sort of logic that justifies paying "women's occupations" less than "men's occupations". Truthfully, I feel there is a good deal of racism involved in the desire to keep the minimum wage down, especially when it comes from people who think unskilled factory workers deserve middle-class wages.

Last edited by gladhands; 12-02-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,557,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think the fast food workers were wrong to push for a $15 an hour minimum wage. The fact is, that many people with degrees or certifications don't earn $15 an hour. Healthcare workers and others should be first in line for a $15 an hour minimum wage.
If fast food workers got $15/hr, the other positions in healthcare would gradually increase as well, in order to compete with fast food payrates. Many jobs that pay higher than fast food would also increase pay because people would expect more money for the harder jobs and jobs that required skill/experience/schooling because workers would compare the pay to $15/hr.

Workers would say "why would I work for $16/hr as a 911 dispatcher with high stress if I can work for $15/hr as a low stress cashier." Then the 911 dispatcher job would have to raise their pay in order to get qualified applicants.

Increasing min wage, indirectly, helps increase pay for people that are already making MORE than minimum wage.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The campaign is for a $15 minimum wage...that would apply to all min wage workers, health care included, it's just fast food workers were the ones to pick up the mantle and start fighting, because they have big numbers. Why on earth would you think this would only apply to fast food workers? Minimum wage means no one in that state is allowed to pay anyone less than that, not just one class of worker.
The problem, though, is that people like EMTs, school aids and paraeducators, entry level office workers and others requiring degrees or certification are earning about $15-16. Fast food workers do not require the same skills and education, but if they make the same, all of these other workers will want more, and the costs to those companies will also rise. These are all people that typically rent apartments, and the landlords will see the increased pay and take advantage of the opportunity to raise rents even higher, in addition to the cost of fast food and retail products going up. In the end no workers really come out ahead, big business maintains profits, and landlords increase theirs.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,932,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
the restaurants that use ordering tablet are basically fast food restaurants that you happen to sit down at. In a number of years I can imagine if you wanted human service you would have to go to a more expensive place.
Restaurants like Noodles & Co. have servers who bring you the food but require no tip (they state as much and CEO says they are paid a regular wage already). Why can't all restaurants operate like this if they can? It apparently does not affect food prices - as their food prices are also marked up, but not outrageously so, not any more than any other non-fast-food sit-down. It comes down to the owners bagging more profit for themselves, while withholding from their employees - we take care of them too.

What I want is restaurant-quality food (obviously having to pay their prices) without having to tip too. Not to mention, other countries already do this. Does the food actually cost more than it should there?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:34 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,021,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm all for this. I trust a computer to take my order more accurately than a 16 year old kid.
I don't understand the intolerance toward other people's mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, computers included. Most employees get their jobs right most of the time. And if someone makes a mistake when they work with you, does this mean you should write off the entire human service industry? No. If a person makes a mistake, I point it out graciously. In the majority of cases, they apologize, fix it, and we finish our business. This teaches both of us important things: it teaches me patience, and it teaches them to be careful not to do X when assisting with Y.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:07 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,263,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Not a good sign, it looks like there will be fewer McDonalds jobs in the future.

The push for a $15 starter wage has negatively impacted the career prospects of employees who were just getting started in the workforce while extinguishing the businesses that employed them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/eb5f795...fight-for.html

You have to adapt and overcome.

WalMart didn't put all the mom and pop shops that used to shoe horses in every town for a living out of business, and kiosks aren't an excuse to not learn another line of work.

SS

Old 12-02-2016, 02:23 PM

51,228 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem, though, is that people like EMTs, school aids and paraeducators, entry level office workers and others requiring degrees or certification are earning about $15-16. Fast food workers do not require the same skills and education, but if they make the same, all of these other workers will want more, and the costs to those companies will also rise. These are all people that typically rent apartments, and the landlords will see the increased pay and take advantage of the opportunity to raise rents even higher, in addition to the cost of fast food and retail products going up. In the end no workers really come out ahead, big business maintains profits, and landlords increase theirs.
That's a ridiculous argument IMO....be happy with a poverty wage because making a living wage isn't all it's cracked up to be, really?

Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think the fast food workers were wrong to push for a $15 an hour minimum wage. The fact is, that many people with degrees or certifications don't earn $15 an hour. Healthcare workers and others should be first in line for a $15 an hour minimum wage. Not fast food workers. In fact, at many of these restaurants you don't even have to be literate to work there, because they put pictures of the food items on the cash register. It's a fast-paced, hard job but not one that requires specialized skills or even literacy.
First, let's address someone making $15 an hour when you have degrees or certifications.... YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING VERY WRONG. Sorry that things worked out poorly for you, but please don't lash out at others for your misfortune. If people are willing to accept that "MW isn't for people in their 30s, then people need to accept that $15 an hour with a degree or certs is just as bad.

But instead of elevating everyone up, they'd rather keep them down. "Soldiers, nurses, cops, firefighters, and teaches don't even make that much! So your solution is to keep EVERYONE down on low wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment