Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,821,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
If I ask a question it's usually confirming what I think the answer is and then they correct me if I'm wrong
It appears you company has workers, that find it easier to run to the supervisor, instead of using their own initiative, and have the same problem and get the same answer over and over again. The sign of lazy employees that want someone else to do their thinking for them. Your manager is doing the right thing, telling the employees to start taking responsibility for their job. And if they are not willing to do so, and are not really qualified to handle a job they have had for a period of time, then it is time to replace them.

Your manager is tired of having employees bringing problems that they should have the experience and training to handle themselves, and is telling the employees to start doing the job they are paid to do, rather than have her holding their hands, long after they should have reached the point of having a value to the company.

Her recent email, is telling the employees to do they job they have been hired and trained to do, as she also has work she must do. Having employees that have to be given assurance they have made the right decision, means there are employees that should be replaced. Consider that email, as early soft notice to either start doing your job you are paid to do, or you will no longer have the job. Notice that if you can't do your job without constant hand holding you are not worth keeping as an employee. The manager has enough on her plate, she does not have time to constantly do your thinking for you, and patting you on the back and tell you, you are right before you do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,705,851 times
Quote:
If I ask a question it's usually confirming what I think the answer is and then they correct me if I'm wrong

If you have no confidence in your abilities, how can you expect anyone else to? Be confident in your decisions, and test them if necessary. But if you are constantly looking for reaffirmation that you know what you're doing you may well be one of the reasons the manager had to send that email.

The manager isn't doing anything wrong. The manager is trying to get the department to think for themselves like grown ups.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,867,060 times
Sounds like this manager works at the Post Office.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 PM

599 posts, read 695,372 times
Geez, I need to send out an email like that.
I'm so sick and tired of people asking me the same questions over and over again especially being at the job for over several months.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:40 PM

599 posts, read 695,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So now there are hidden messages in the email?

Here is what you do: Do your job as you know it should be done.

If you come upon a problem, try to solve it. If you feel you were not trained to solve it, tell your supervisor. If you TRY to solve the problem but cannot, then ask a co-worker or whoever you report to for help.

If you have never been a manager, which I am guessing you have not, it is very easy to assume that a manager's job is to sit and watch employees work all day. I assure you, that is not it.

Managers have other stuff THEY are supposed to do for their managers. But if they have to spend all their time "putting out fires," i.e. looking up and answering your question every 30 minutes or solving problems YOU are supposed to solve, then they never get to do THEIR jobs.

So stop throwing out this unprofessional attitude and work like a pro.
Wow, heaven to my ears.
People need to grow up, im.not your mommy

Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 PM

1,281 posts, read 781,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Geez, I need to send out an email like that.
I'm so sick and tired of people asking me the same questions over and over again especially being at the job for over several months.
Now that I agree with because if you get new information you are supposed to write it down and create a manual for yourself.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM

856 posts, read 1,057,016 times
Exclamation Manager Says Endeavor to Solve Yourself

Quote:
She sent this email today to everyone explaining that too many staff members are just asking for assistance and not trying to resolve the problem first. So basically she wants to get paid to do nothing and not help her staff.

So now what is going to happen is people will be afraid to ask for help and will screw things up. Now if the same person asked for help 3 times in one day then I could see how that would be annoying but just once a day if you are a new employee?

There are too many responses for me to read so I will hope I am not duplicating anyone:

What you miss is that an effective employee will endeavor to resolve an issue themselves and if are unable to do so, will bring choices of resolution to their manager, asking for a 'best choice' pick.

The key is to not come to your boss empty-handed.

Probably, too many in your company/department are bringing 'problems' to your boss without having gone to the trouble of making a determination as to what could be a resolution.

So they arrive empty-handed, asking for help.

That is sooo lame.

So, no, your boss is not expecting to sit around and do nothing but is expecting you and your peers to do their best thinking before coming to that person for help.

As for your: "So basically she wants to get paid to do nothing and not help her staff."

Mod cut.

You need to grow up. What you said is very immature.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-11-2017 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
There are too many responses for me to read so I will hope I am not duplicating anyone:

What you miss is that an effective employee will endeavor to resolve an issue themselves and if are unable to do so, will bring choices of resolution to their manager, asking for a 'best choice' pick.

The key is to not come to your boss empty-handed.

Probably, too many in your company/department are bringing 'problems' to your boss without having gone to the trouble of making a determination as to what could be a resolution.

So they arrive empty-handed, asking for help.

That is sooo lame.

So, no, your boss is not expecting to sit around and do nothing but is expecting you and your peers to do their best thinking before coming to that person for help.

As for your: "So basically she wants to get paid to do nothing and not help her staff."

[snip]

You need to grow up. What you said is very immature.

[snip]

The manager doesn't know the answer either which is why she sent the email. People who are lower than her the management level know a lot of more. She on the otherhand only wants to talk about sick leave, vacation request or paycheck issues.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-11-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,891,253 times
Quote:
Isn't there a manual or other forms of reference that will tell you that without wasting your time and the manager's time? Isn't that what the email was all about, using available resources rather than wasting time and effort?

Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Isn't there a manual or other forms of reference that will tell you that without wasting your time and the manager's time? Isn't that what the email was all about, using available resources rather than wasting time and effort?

Yeah but this is something I do maybe once or twice a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment