Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,270,237 times

Advertisements

Last time I changed jobs, I had a scheduled trip planned just a couple of months later. It wasn't a problem taking the time but it was unpaid. I didn't want an unpaid week between jobs and another one two months later, so didn't take time in between. The kiddo was in school, so it wasn't like we would have gone away anyhow. I didn't need to take an unpaid week to hang out at home by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:15 PM

50,429 posts, read 64,185,923 times
I would spend the off week stewing about the unknown. I wouldn't be able to relax anyway, so I would like to plunge directly into the new one.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM

44 posts, read 95,027 times
I have not personally done this, but I know plenty of people who have. For me, I wouldn't know what to do with myself during that gap. If I happened to have a trip planned that coincided with a transition between jobs, I would do that, but otherwise I would want to start my new job right away.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM

221 posts, read 184,405 times
I've taken an entire week off between jobs. Would've taken two weeks if I was able to afford to do so. My thinking behind doing that was you never know when you'll be able to take your next vacation. Starting a new job rested and refreshed is never a bad idea, either.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM

778 posts, read 340,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
Last day Friday. First day Monday. I like money.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:55 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,174,477 times
Rather than having a week of (unpaid) unemployment, I use all my PTO in my last few days on the job. Then I take the weekend off and start my new job Monday morning.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 PM

35 posts, read 39,147 times
I once took two weeks to myself between jobs.

Job #1 left me stressed and emotionally drained, so I needed some time to recoup before starting the new job. Two weeks still didn't quite cut it, but I made it work.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,615,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
I have always wanted a week or so "off," but the new employer has always required me to start right away.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM

1,281 posts, read 779,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I have always wanted a week or so "off," but the new employer has always required me to start right away.
I hate that

Old 01-13-2017, 06:09 PM

1,281 posts, read 779,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Last day Friday. First day Monday. I like money.
The new job is more money most of the time anyway so what would be the big deal with starting a week later? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment