Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
"had to," or "chose to."
I had a lawyer look over it and he said if I wanted my severance, I had to sign it. This guy had no skin in the game whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 11:30 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
It doesn't have to "support a lawsuit". You cannot respond to a suit with, "What I said is true!" and get it dismissed. If you're sued, you have to retain an attorney, appear in court, file motions, etc. Why take the chance? Why say anything other than, "I can confirm that Jane Smith was an employee from January 1 1980 to December 30 1988"? Nobody cares what's "right"... they care what's legal, and if you say "Joe Bob was fired for incompetence and i have a mountain of evidence backing that up", he can still sue you and cost you thousands, even if you'll ultimately win.
Let's say they fire you for incompetence, and you apply for a job with the competition. They are most likely to say nothing or, "Wow, you hired Bob, he's the best!". Then dance and laugh around the office that the under performer they fired is now working for their competition.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Due to past experience of having a data base stolen by a 'christian.' Who let everyone know it at every opportunity possible. He was a busy boy those 2 weeks.
This christian was able to do this because god was on their side. As they say, after lowing their jaw a little, "It's all good".

Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
So another update. I found out that the latest 4 that were hired in our office (including me) were laid off today. In addition two people from our Michigan office were laid off! Makes me feel better as my manager truly was telling me I was doing better since the coaching talk!
I am sorry to hear that you got laid off. But I bet it is a relief to know it wasn't your performance. From what I read it seemed like to did everything possible to improve your skills. Many people wouldn't have.

All the best to you and I hope you get to travel.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
Quote:
So another update. I found out that the latest 4 that were hired in our office (including me) were laid off today. In addition two people from our Michigan office were laid off! Makes me feel better as my manager truly was telling me I was doing better since the coaching talk!
Yay, you! I have seen the most recent hire let go as well due to budget - and he was doing well. It is just they had to pick SOMEONE.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:01 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
I find it unprofessional and skeevy for managers to tell someone to come into a meeting behind closed doors, without telling them first what the meeting is about.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:15 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default come into a meeting behind closed doors, without telling them first what the meeting is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I find it unprofessional and skeevy for managers to tell someone to come into a meeting behind closed doors, without telling them first what the meeting is about.
I don't think this is unprofessional and skeevy, but 98% of the time it is code for "We'll send your things over in a box that held copier paper"

Then there was the one time when it was code for "You might notice some changes in your Manager when he... um, er... she returns to work on Monday..."

Old 01-25-2017, 03:47 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Shame, all of it, but do best you can. Hope you're in a hot market or city for your field; before I relocated, a long time ago, made sure of that personally (Seattle, in my case). That's kept me on a positive job arc, to say the least, for nearly two decades.

Losses should be parlayed into wins, wherever possible. Strategy includes activities that one, increase value; or two, preserve value; or three: stop value loss. Case one is a great career place to be, case 2 or 3 sometimes necessary as-well. So I've found.

Been "laid off" periodically too, but in IT that's more than to be expected. It wasn't a layoff or RIF so much as end of the job. I'm on great terms with some of those previous managers, if not most. Couple are references, all you have to do is ask. As I am a reference for others, it's not a problem.

Good luck, they should have handled it more deftly than they did (not provided you any clues or breadcrumbs to follow), but that's neither here nor there. Remember it fondly as you can, and that you made improvements to performance out of a sense of professionalism: sometimes that's as good as it gets.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
if HR is there, then the fat lady has entered the building, your gone, take all your personal home tomorrow, including any office supplies laying around

Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. I just got out of the meeting. Was told that the business has been affected and there is a need to downsize. And my position along with other positions are being eliminated. No mention of performance or anything. Oh well. Time to work on my resume and start again. Onwards and upwards!!!
You didn't mention your age.

At the beginning of 2014 my colleague/mentor of 28 years and I moved from Law Firm D to Law Firm H. The champagne was still flowing when, at the end of January my mentor and I had a meeting with the department chair (the first time I had met her) with a definitely hostile undertone. I caught the hostility; my mentor didn't. On February 10, 2014 I slipped on ice running for a train. My mentor suggested I find a way to avoid using the foot cast for my broken ankle since it was making a lousy impression. On February 13, 2014 I was asked to submit a memo describing all open matters my mentor and I were working on. I asked him "does this mean I'm being fired." He answered "not yet." Within a few weeks most well-paying matters were pulled from our desks and given to other attorneys. We were invited to participate on the matters. From that point on, every single comment on every single document was highly critical, even though I had been using my format for 28 years.

I was given notice on July 11 or so for termination at the end of 2014. This was ascribed to "downsizing." Since the firm had already given up one out of five floors we occupied and shuttered a local office in an adjoining state. It was real. It was also clear they were building a case against me in case I didn't sign the separation agreement and decided to sue for age discrimination, since I turned 57 during 2014. It was let slip that I was about 10 years too old and the wrong gender. So I feel your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
He can try, but it's unlikely he'll get it. Most companies will just confirm the employee's title and how long they were employed for. Anything else said (good or bad) could result in a lawsuit.
I wish this lie would disappear. If what the person says, good or bad, is true then there is no basis for a lawsuit. You can always speak the truth and as long as a company does that, all is good.
Prior to our firm's losing its independence, in June 2004 we hired an attorney who was given a glowing reference. She was a walking disaster. We fired her in March 2005 and she sued in March 2006. We settled. We were seriously considering suing the firm that gave the reference. We didn't mostly because the firm was financially drained by the settlement, which occurred during the waning days of 2010. The settlement was one of three major factors forcing us to merge and me and my mentor to leave the merged firm, Firm D, for Firm H.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment