Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:25 AM

6,887 posts, read 7,943,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
In my video, I talk about this. Take notes on a pad of paper. Maybe have 1 designated minutes\notes taker. I always just show up to meetings with my pad of paper and pen.

No, but a good meeting should have everyone on the same page and action items for everyone to accomplish between the next meeting.

This is the trap I'm talking about. If meetings were efficient, you'd have less of them and could actually work undistracted on the projects.
You make it sound like people have control over the content and/or efficiency of the meetings they have to attend. Lol!

I can't take a device to my thrice yearly training meeting (which is mostly someone sharing the party line in spite of the party line always mentioning how future meetings are going to be interactive). So I take a notepad with crossword puzzle taped into it. I have ADD. Sitting still for an hour under any circumstances is torture for me. If I don't have a distraction, I end up being MUCH ruder by fidgeting or speaking impulsively.

Lucky for me, at those meetings I have moved to a seat on the floor because I can't take the chair any longer, and no one cares about that.

If I did have need for or use for my laptop at an actual meeting, I would lay the screen down so it wouldn't look as if I were doing something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:27 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,017,022 times
Theres too many "meetings" today. I really wonder if upper management has anything to do these days when you consider 90 percent of their time is spent sitting around and talking and if not that doing only god knows what.

Meetings wouldn't be so bad if something gets "accomplished" from these meetings but generally they are all the same bunk. People spread their genius around, something stupid gets implemented and fails and more meetings happen. Just a constant cycle of reoccuring nonsense with no real end game.

If you ALL this time for hour meetings one after another, that automatically tells me you don't have much real responsibility yourself and someone needs to throw some workload on you. My offsite management team are incessant with the hour long meetings. "Hey are you going to make the meeting?" "No I'm too busy WORKING getting things accomplished"

Old 04-01-2017, 10:28 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,591,222 times
Wish I had more meetings, one every 4-6 months for 15-20 minutes. Only time I see management really

Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 PM

141 posts, read 105,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You make it sound like people have control over the content and/or efficiency of the meetings they have to attend. Lol!
They might not totally but they can make suggestions. I do Sys Admin work and we're behind on a project. I've literally borrowed a page from the software development strategy Agile and said we need to have daily "scrum" meetings of 20 minutes or so. Basically stay on topic, get a day's worth of action items as well as get on the same page, and meet again the next day to share progress. Since we started doing that, that project is getting back on schedule. Most people are just passive in their jobs and don't take initiative to improve things. It's crazy how much time is wasted in meetings. If you have 5 people making $20 an hour, you're literally spending $100 an hour per meeting. That is a lot of lost productivity if the meeting isn't actually adding value.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:55 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,501,246 times
Having too many meetings or too long of them can also be the issue. By imposing no cell phones nor laptops, you're trying to hide the symptom rather than dealing with the disease.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:53 PM

12,933 posts, read 9,201,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Theres too many "meetings" today. I really wonder if upper management has anything to do these days when you consider 90 percent of their time is spent sitting around and talking and if not that doing only god knows what.

Meetings wouldn't be so bad if something gets "accomplished" from these meetings but generally they are all the same bunk. People spread their genius around, something stupid gets implemented and fails and more meetings happen. Just a constant cycle of reoccuring nonsense with no real end game.

If you ALL this time for hour meetings one after another, that automatically tells me you don't have much real responsibility yourself and someone needs to throw some workload on you. My offsite management team are incessant with the hour long meetings. "Hey are you going to make the meeting?" "No I'm too busy WORKING getting things accomplished"

Among the many reasons for multiple meetings is the fact that most offices are understaffed today. This means instead of an efficient project organization, they've adopted matrix management. I know the theory is that matrix management is flexible, responsive, and efficient. Reality is that it's about the worst structure you can set up. So many people today are assigned to multiple cross functional teams, that very few people have just one job or project to worry about. Barney is lead of team A with Wilma and Fred. Betty is leader of team B with Wilma, Pebbles, and BamBam. Fred is leader of team C with Betty and Pebbles, and so on. So with all these mixed teams you are constantly meeting to coordinate things within the team and report to team leads. Very inefficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
They might not totally but they can make suggestions. I do Sys Admin work and we're behind on a project. I've literally borrowed a page from the software development strategy Agile and said we need to have daily "scrum" meetings of 20 minutes or so. Basically stay on topic, get a day's worth of action items as well as get on the same page, and meet again the next day to share progress. Since we started doing that, that project is getting back on schedule. ....

If you're in an organization that can get by with only one coordination meeting, that's great. Most people are on too many projects to focus only on a single meeting.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 PM

141 posts, read 105,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If you're in an organization that can get by with only one coordination meeting, that's great. Most people are on too many projects to focus only on a single meeting.
Well each project has a meeting so there's multiple meetings for different projects.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:36 AM

45,608 posts, read 61,041,044 times
What about when the guy running the meeting stops because he "has to take this" and then just wanders off leaving the rest of us sitting there?

Yes, one of my Principals and all three of the Vice-Principals. It then filtered down to the Teacher Coordinator (department head) level. For awhile I was the only Coordinator who didn't do it.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:14 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,767,783 times
It also may give out the perception that the meeting is unnecessary and that the work (eg being on the laptop at least) is trying to "catch up" on work that would be missed during the meeting.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 AM

1,104 posts, read 924,043 times
My company doesn't need distractions in their meetings to be inefficient, they do that part fine themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment