Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:32 PM

13,151 posts, read 21,150,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Just because you own a business doesnt mean your better than the person whom your looking for to fill a position.
News Flash! Very simple concept even a stupid baby can understand:

I have the job.
You want the job.
You do it my way.

Any questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
We can all "play the game" but if your hiring, than hire somebody. One thing i cant stand is seeing same help wanted ad when you had 1k people applying for the job. Are you really that picky?
Once again..

I have the job
You need the job
You do it my way or you don't get the job!"

Remember, before the recession, the shoe was on the other foot and employees played all sorts of stupid games with employers. Well, the roles have reversed and suddenly your on the receiving end of what you dished out.

However, all your whining, crying, complaining and stomping won't change anything. You had your chance with eh Occupy movement and you failed. It's businesses who rules; don't forget that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,926,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

I have the job.
You want the job.
You do it my way.

Any questions?

Once again..

I have the job
You need the job

Remember, before the recession, the shoe was on the other foot and employees played all sorts of stupid games with employers. Well, the roles have reversed and suddenly your on the receiving end of what you dished out.

However, all your whining, crying, complaining and stomping won't change anything. You had your chance with eh Occupy movement and you failed. It's businesses who rules; don't forget that!

Who said? Who died and gave business more power over people? With out people or employees you wouldnt be in business now would you? Shoe on the other foot too. Your employees can make you great or sink your titanic in a heartbeat.

Some times "your way" is not the best way nor the smart way. I get it that your looking for a person to fill your need, but dont over do it. Like somebody said, no expect a fresh kid out of school have 2-5 year experience right off the bat, nor post experience requirements that has nothing with the job your posting. It does happen, and its stupid. Wasting resources. Just means your really not looking IMO. I never once play the negotiation game with any employers. I apply, they make a offer. I refuse and get another offer. I dont give numbers because then your becoming greedy. I do have a min i will take on the market i am in, but i dont tell the employer that, as they will just go with that and hire me. We all have our doubts on employers and employees, but got to be a common ground were we can walk in, apply for the job, get a interview on the spot or few days after you look at it. Forcing anybody to do a personally test is very waistful, nor has any affect on the person, so why use it when your just looking for a cashier?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,187,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Because technology is not reliable. I would not want to partake in an interview in which my participation relies solely on the basis if the technology is working or not.
Uh, no: Skype, WebEx, and other similar videoconferencing apps and the underlying tech therein have been baked for more than ten years, we first started using it frequently at world's largest software corporation c. 2004. Grad school, 2007-9, delivered quite a bit of course materials via videoconferencing on very large monitors through dedicated conferencing centers. Worked great. That kind of bandwidth has since trickled down.

There are still a few glitches, for home use. They are rare, in places with modern fiber infrastructure all the way up here in 2017: what was cutting edge in 2004 has little if-anything to do with today. That bandwidth being available in pretty much all major metro areas, and not-so-major for that matter. These days, Skype works pretty well over WiFi too though Cat 5 (soon to be Cat 6) is still usually a better idea.

I suppose mom and pop are still on dial-up somewhere. There are always a few holdouts. I'd be mildly surprised if "Skype interviews" were prevalent in such areas anyway.

Video interviews have their uses, I've conducted and been on the receiving end of many. I'd prefer in-person, but it's a viable option for certain types of interview. For a mid-to-senior professional role, I still need to see the candidate in person for at least one of the interviews. There are occasional exceptions to that, too, phone or video conference only all the way through.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 AM

120 posts, read 97,137 times
Quote:

I have the job.
You want the job.
You do it my way.

Any questions?
That is the attitude with recruiters today,you have that "better"then everyone because you got hired,this is exactly why business are loosing money because of people like YOU,with your attitude i would NOT want to work with someone like you and i suggest others do the same..

Old 04-18-2017, 04:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,738,564 times
Quote:

I have the job.
You want the job.
You do it my way.

Any questions?

Once again..

I have the job
You need the job

WRONG. Interviewing is a two-way street. The economy is better. Unemployment is low. We're no longer at the point where employers are getting 50 wildly overqualified applicants for every posted job. It's more likely that an employer is going to complain of a skills gap where a job is posted and it is hard to find that perfect candidate.

If that same employer who is complaining of finding quality candidates is also insisting on interviewing 10 people in person for a single opening and making those people pay their own way to interview, I don't think that employer is going to find the best candidate. All that is going to do is guarantee that you find the most desperate candidates!

Additionally, these days, interviews often involve people in multiple locations anyway, so a phone/Skype interview might be unavoidable. We've had people come in person to my office to do a Skype interview with a manager in a remote office with no one located locally. We've also had people locally and several people remotely.

I think that what you don't realize is that most business have moved onto Skype/Webex and that in many ways, the traditional in-person interview is the way of the past.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 AM

486 posts, read 996,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
So I guess you feel the same way about online applications? Can't even walk into a business anymore and ask for the manager or an application. They will say "Apply online".

Since everything is going digital, I don't see a problem with Skype interviews.
I agree. However, most workplaces (including many large corporations) don't really have the technical knowledge or outside the box thought process to do Skype interviews. It's too logical, therefore it must be rejected. Maybe some companies are doing Skype interviews, but it is such a small percentage that it is negligible.

I think companies should charge an "application fee." Think of how much companies can make off of applicants. I am unemployed and I have been told by HR/Hiring Managers and other posters on C-D that hundreds of applicants can apply for one job advertisement. I am amazed companies haven't determined that if they charged the applicants a $10 application fee, they can pocket $1000 if 100 applicants apply for one job opening.

My local county government charges application fees. They charge you $15 for each job you apply.

Care.com charges job seekers for every job they apply to (they have to buy credits and use the credits for each job they apply to).

It is a win-win for companies and job applicants if application fees became the norm. Companies make money and get only the best candidates, and job applicants may have less competition when applying for jobs, because you will only pay to apply for the job you really want or are truly qualified for.

Of course, in real life, companies would just put up even more fake job ads to generate income, and most job applicants don't have extra income to put toward job application fees, with no guarantee they will get a job.

Oh well, I'm just philosophizing because I am bored and unemployed.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,491,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Interviewing is a two-way street. The economy is better. Unemployment is low. We're no longer at the point where employers are getting 50 wildly overqualified applicants for every posted job. It's more likely that an employer is going to complain of a skills gap where a job is posted and it is hard to find that perfect candidate.

I think that what you don't realize is that most business have moved onto Skype/Webex and that in many ways, the traditional in-person interview is the way of the past.

WHAT???
Unemployment is low and wages are lower.

I am not "siding" with employers - don't get me wrong.
But they are in the driver's seat at this time and it will probably remain this way for a long time.
Whoever owns the candy store makes the rules.

Please list at least 20 businesses that you know for a fact moved on to Skype for interviews.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,943,633 times
An interview is also a test of punctuality. If you're unable to physically turn up to an interview on time, then how on earth are you going to consistently turn up to work on time?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,198,238 times
Quote:

I have the job.
You want the job.
You do it my way.

Any questions?

Once again..

I have the job
You need the job

I am sure a lot of kings had similar thinking right up to the point where the peasants chopped their head off. We are on this rock together and have to work together, share, prosper together etc.... It takes customers for a business to be successful and those customers are also your employees.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,491,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
That is the attitude with recruiters today,you have that "better"then everyone because you got hired,this is exactly why business are loosing money because of people like YOU,with your attitude i would NOT want to work with someone like you and i suggest others do the same..
And how has allowing your pride to run your professional life worked out for you?

I could care less when others put on airs that they think they're better than me.
(I'm quite confident in my fabulousness)
I keep my eye on the big picture and play the game to get what I want.
It's not that complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment