Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,328,892 times

Advertisements

I work for a tech company that has been around for 5 years and I've been there since the beginning. Since being there i"ve gotten married, and had 2 kids. Only a handful of people have been there 5 years. Most people leave after 2 years it seems...some of course have been there longer, some shorter.

Apparently it's now frowned upon to be at the same job for 5 years. Have other people found that most jobs today want people in and out in 3 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 AM

901 posts, read 748,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I work for a tech company that has been around for 5 years and I've been there since the beginning. Since being there i"ve gotten married, and had 2 kids. Only a handful of people have been there 5 years. Most people leave after 2 years it seems...some of course have been there longer, some shorter.

Apparently it's now frowned upon to be at the same job for 5 years. Have other people found that most jobs today want people in and out in 3 years?
No, you read too many sensationalist news outlets

Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,997,021 times
A high turnover company wide is an automatic red flag that there is seriously something wrong with the company

Personally, I don't know how upper management gets away with years of steady high turnover considering how costly it is to an employer

Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,931,257 times
High turnover is completely normal in today's workforce. There is no expected loyalty, no pensions to stick around for. If you can find a better offer you simply jump ship without any hesitation.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,934,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

and what reliable source did you get this from? If you are going to make career decisions off of it, hopefully it was not some internet opinion article, by someone who's job it is to simply write opinion articles.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM

7,197 posts, read 9,344,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
High turnover is completely normal in today's workforce. There is no expected loyalty, no pensions to stick around for. If you can find a better offer you simply jump ship without any hesitation.
Yup. If you can find a better deal, go for it. You must manage your own career.

Furthermore, the only way to get a significant salary increase in the same job is to change companies.

Get 30%, not 3%.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,473,250 times
The only high turnover jobs I've worked were retail, but I'd say even then it isn't a given that there will be high turnover. I worked one retail job where people stayed for years and the reason was clear: they had a good benefits package for employees (I even got benefits as a part-timer) and employees were treated well. Good jobs have low turnover.

I'm in a high turnover government job. If you are ever in a government/union environment that has high turnover...RUN. I thought it was odd before I took the job but naively figured, "Employees must move on to better things!" Nope nope nope. Let your intuition guide you. Public sector jobs tend to have stability because they offer benefits not available in the private sector, so people who might otherwise leave are inclined to stay. I generally find that good/highly motivated people still end up leaving these jobs, though. In general I'd say turnover = bad.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 AM

I work at a tech startup in cambridge, MA that has been around for 5 years now. It's pretty cutting edge and this is what the top people seem to be doing. So...there must be something to this. People wouldn't just be doing it for the heck of it.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 AM

23,581 posts, read 24,109,566 times
Usually, many technology workers have skills which are in demand and recruiters are out "poaching" them, for other job opportunities.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:42 AM

yes, but it's also marketing people that seem to be moving around a lot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment