Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on a couple of opportunities.

Recently was approached with an opportunity to take on a new position.

Position is 100% remote with the ability to work out of any city.

Position has up to a 75% travel requirement depending on client needs.

Don't have all the details yet on whether the travel is M-F or just a couple of days each week.

My thoughts are that on average there will be 1-2 weeks of travel most months.

Wondering what your thoughts are on a position like this. The option to work from home sounds like a fantastic opportunity and is exactly what I am looking for.

However, the travel requirement seems to take away some of the glamour and appeal. Especially during a busy month where the 75% could be a reality.

Assuming the salary, benefits and position title/duties were to your liking, would you have preference for remote offer over the traditional position where you work in an office with little to no travel?

Last edited by usamathman; 06-09-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Yes, assuming I had a solid, written job offer letter in hand, not a verbal offer or description of the job prior to job interview.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:45 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
75% travel? It sounds like it is remote work because you are working on site where you are sent. Would be 3 weeks a month, sounds rough

Is travel for a week on site or 1 day there, spend night in hotel, fly back next day and work, fly again next day and repeat?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times
I've done both and loved the remote/travel before kids. Traveling with children at home is rough on your family. Not sure what your personal life is like but I'd definitely factor in what's more important to you outside of work.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 AM

796 posts, read 930,298 times
my last job was suppsed to involve regular travel, but that never materialized. the company reorganized, and I was shifted to a different department that required me only to travel 1-2 times a year max. having school age kids, it was very convenient, but I grew very tired of the isolation.

they ended up letting me go in april, and I start a higher paying job where I'll work regular hours in an actual office. I am really looking foward to starting that next month to be honest.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,804 times
This is where most jobs are going to go. My employer has a voluntary, work from home model right now. However, there has been talk of it being made mandatory. For the employer, it makes sense. You are using your own electricity, water when you flush the toilet. The company saves a ton of money. The only caution I have is to find out how the travel is paid. Will you have a company credit card and get to charge everything, or, will you be required to pay out of pocket, and then submit receipts and a travel voucher to get reimbursed? Will mileage be paid up front, or reimbursed later?

My company uses the, you pay for it, we reimburse you later model, and everyone hates it. That is the only complaint I have heard, other than that, every loves to work from home. I might give it a try once my youngest starts school.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 PM

25 posts, read 17,937 times
I have worked from home for the past 3 years. I relocated from the city my office was in & it was worked out to allow me to work from home. My job involves what I would call moderate travel which is about 10-20% of the time. My travels can be to trade shows, our manufacturing facility or customer visits. I have to say I really like this arrangement most of the time. The travel gets me out around other people. But when working from home I do not have to worry about commuting, dressing up, going out for lunch, etc.

To me 75% travel works out to full time travel. If you say a month is 4 weeks you are traveling 3 of the 4 weeks. Then once you start figuring in holidays, vacations, etc most of your work time will be spend on the road.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
75% travel will probably be three weeks out of the month. It is a lot to be on the road.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
A job with that much travel will be difficult. I know several people who do it. My cousin ended up getting a divorce and never started a family as the result of her job, which is like the one you mention. She did remarry someone with a more travel-oriented job, but maintaining relationships when you are on the road that much is very challenging. I know someone else who recently quit a job with around 1/2-2/3 travel, even though he really liked it, mainly because of the strain it put on his relationships. The other person I know also has strain on relationships due to the travel and it's more at the 1/3-1/2 level.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,552 times
I wanted travel jobs when I was younger. Then I had a traveling job for about half a year and grew very tired of it quickly. The novelty wears off fast. And like others mentioned here, if you have a family, such a job is a no-go.

I'd take the remote position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment