Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM

16,190 posts, read 21,347,231 times

Advertisements

Debates are more fun with people that have an open mind instead of an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 PM

28,731 posts, read 18,971,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I'm getting at is they should know that they are accountable for every decision they make and their is recourse for making an unpopular decision. They shouldn't just be able to get away with whatever they want just because they are in a position of authority, they need to be held accountable by those under them.

And to answer your question, no, I have held two jobs in my life and quit both of them. I've never been fired.
They usually are accountable for their decisions...just not to you.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 PM

3,577 posts, read 2,917,037 times
Quote:
I'm not picking a fight. Your comment obviously implied derision for my point of view, thinly veiled through sarcasm, and I responded with my actual opinion. Might you actually refute what I've said or offer a counter point of view?
I choose not to participate in response to your absolute authority, quest for power, and combative dismissal of any opinion that doesn't agree.

You are the Tyrant.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:58 PM

7,641 posts, read 5,155,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I choose not to participate in response to your absolute authority, quest for power, and combative dismissal of any opinion that doesn't agree.

You are the Tyrant.
It is impossible to be a tyrant without the means to compel participation.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 PM

12,965 posts, read 9,232,023 times
Are you talking about politically or about your boss on the job?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,943,299 times
Quote:
What do you think the main difference is between a person who always bows to authority and a person who is always fighting against whatever authority is in place?
I'll go out on a limb and say it is the ability -- or lack thereof -- to bend at the waist.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:45 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,764,888 times
Let's think about who typically gets furthest in life.... They don't fit in either of your categories.

The person with the greatest success is the person who finds fault in policies and can create solutions to solve the issues.
Next would be the person who typically obeys authority and rules, but will stand up and fight if something needs to be changed.
Third would be the blind rule follower.
Least successful, the person who challenges everything.

To answer your question, it is absolutely a personality trait. I've worked with people who will argue and protest anything, mostly for the sake of being disagreeable. This type of personality is not one I care to deal with. I'm all for standing up for things you believe in, but when someone is in constant battle, the real problem is them.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Let's think about who typically gets furthest in life.... They don't fit in either of your categories.

The person with the greatest success is the person who finds fault in policies and can create solutions to solve the issues.
Next would be the person who typically obeys authority and rules, but will stand up and fight if something needs to be changed.
Third would be the blind rule follower.
Least successful, the person who challenges everything.

To answer your question, it is absolutely a personality trait. I've worked with people who will argue and protest anything, mostly for the sake of being disagreeable. This type of personality is not one I care to deal with. I'm all for standing up for things you believe in, but when someone is in constant battle, the real problem is them.
Repeated for emphasis.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 PM

13,305 posts, read 8,550,624 times
I've been in the later camp most of my life.
Mostly due to distrust . Now more then ever I'm okay with such a stance. Being a sheeple might get ya to the slaughter house quicker. Comply with safety-absolutely! Comply with human regard- you betcha!
Most authority ( the power tripping sorts) will rarely win favor in my eyes. Be civil,diplomatic ..Then I'll weigh out the matters presented. But blindly submit without question...Nah.
The "because I said so" holds no water in moving my boat to your shore . Give a valid reason of how it benefits all parties..Then there is room for willingness to abide.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I've been in the later camp most of my life.
Mostly due to distrust . Now more then ever I'm okay with such a stance. Being a sheeple might get ya to the slaughter house quicker. Comply with safety-absolutely! Comply with human regard- you betcha!
Most authority ( the power tripping sorts) will rarely win favor in my eyes. Be civil,diplomatic ..Then I'll weigh out the matters presented. But blindly submit without question...Nah.
The "because I said so" holds no water in moving my boat to your shore . Give a valid reason of how it benefits all parties..Then there is room for willingness to abide.
If you are employee, your paycheck is your benefit. If you want practice in explaining the mutual benefit of every company action beyond "paycheck" to employees, it's time to start your own company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment