Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Yup, because if you don't work for somebody else you don't have a real job, right?
No. There are people who are truly entrepreneurial. However, the OP sounds like someone who is "working for themselves" because they can't keep a job. There is a difference. True entrepreneurs know that they will have to be "accountable" to someone else in one way or another. Look at the CEO and founder of Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
It isn't as simple. Some think they are fighting authority, but are unwitting pawns of another authority. People perceive themselves generally as rational and independent in much of the U.S.
Given what I hear about working in most corporations, this hardly seems true. There are large books and binders full of rules and regulations - in addition to the corporate ladder, politics, back-biting and all the other stuff.

I am definitely a rebel. I had a job when I was 18 and after a week I vowed never to work for anyone ever again - and at 63 I have not.

It's hard to be much of a rebel when every minute of your life is ordered by work structure and levels of management.

This is a scale that people fall along. For example, Trump voters (base) are probably 30% of Americans and are authoritarians. That means they follow along - almost no matter what. This is the base that he remarked would love him if he shot someone. They love him for putting more troops into war, for making the government more secretive, for profiting from the office, for hiring all his family members and friends - they even love him for asking Russia to hack us.

So we start off with 30% who are Right Wing Authoritarians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

We could guess that 10-15% of the left fits this mold - but the left is definitely less kowtow to authority which is why they protest, etc....

Then we have maybe 30% of people in the middle - real moderates who make decisions based on neither authoritarian nor rebellion.

Of course, we have some people with low education, intelligence, IQ's, lack of life interest, substance abuse issues, anger, etc - who may not fit into any of those groups.

Bottom line - in my experience 10% or less of people are "Buckers of the System". One decent measurement would be whether you were against the war in Iraq. 85% plus of Americans were for it, even though most could not find it on a map. They listened to authority and cost us trillions because they do not rebel against obvious poor courses of action.

So that's my take. It may even be as low as 5-10% who buck the system. And, no, cheating on your taxes is not bucking the system.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
I find that most "rebels" just go around complaining and stirring the pot. But never actually do anything productive. If you consider the phrase "Lead, follow, or get the H out of the way" most of them fall in the "in the way" category. Neither leading or following, just causing trouble for everyone else who is actually doing.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:32 AM

92 posts, read 142,125 times
I have also seen that managers are not acting their jobs, but rather act like their subordinates and doing their jobs. Although that appeared to be in our best interest, we were all twiddling our thumbs or trying to figure out how to be productive.

I believe that we all need to be aware of what's everyone's doing, whether it's management or colleagues. If something that needs attention, then by all means go ahead and communicate about it without fear.

A person of authority always needs to keep everything in mind as best of they possibly can. A customer is not always right, but help them out with the options to consider. Sometimes, you have to go deep for them to understand something.

I felt that the Uber CEO has been more of a follower than a true leader. He had a lot of work ahead of him, but I can understand about his family situation and the legal issues he has been having. He got a lot of flack for being a part of Trump's advisory board, but had to leave because of the people's backlash.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
I'm fighting against people with blind respect and admiration for authority, people who think that all authority is inherently benevolent and justified.
But realistically, there are very few people like this in the world, particularly after you get your first job and you start to learn that unlike in government, there are very few checks and balances in a profit-driven organization - typically only those imposed by the government in the form of regulations.

So this is a straw man. And YOU seem to want to question and rebel against most anything, though you try to present a rational argument. But you are indeed an angry young man...don't worry, that will mellow over time and you'll strike a balance.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I find that most "rebels" just go around complaining and stirring the pot. But never actually do anything productive. If you consider the phrase "Lead, follow, or get the H out of the way" most of them fall in the "in the way" category. Neither leading or following, just causing trouble for everyone else who is actually doing.
Well, this would describe totalitarian governments and people all over the world.

Lead, follow or get out of the way - perfect slogan for dictators.

We "rebels", in the end, are quite normal in terms of being "in the world". But we question - and avoid - authority. I have started multiple businesses (some multi-million), raised a family, been married 45 years and done vast amounts of volunteer work.

In terms of "rebel", I have lived on a communes, worked in alternative energy, protested the vietnam war, volunteered in the poorest and most dangerous areas of the country, etc.

I know many hundreds of people who have done the same - or better..

You must only know "fake' rebels.

One sign of a "real" rebel would be a person who doesn't change over the decades when it comes to mistrust of authority. I learned my own distrust in two ways - when I was 14-16 years old.

The first was at Military School. I saw clearly what "rank" does to people. If you want some idea, read about the Stanford Prison Experiment.

The second was watching police officers testify at a trial...one where they had broken the arms AND leg of a friend of mine. Seeing them get up on the stand, swear and then outright lie changed my life.

I still feel the same today - 48 years later.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Nope, "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way" applies to real rebellions as well. Even rebellions need a leader and a follower to accomplish change.

If you, as you said, started multiple businesses, then you are in the leader position. Did you have employees? Did you give them instructions for their jobs? Are you rebelling against yourself? You are "the man" you want to "stick it" to.

But I suspect you know all that. You also know this discussion isn't about rebellions against horrible dictators but about goof off employees who want to pretend they are rebels against authority when in reality they're don't want to work. What, you never had any of those in your businesses?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,917 times
Quote:
I'm currently self employed, working on my own fixing cars and doing other side jobs. It's great being my own boss!!!
Until you get busy, have to bring on an additional mechanic, and meet a young whipper snapper who does the same thing to you (always bucks the system) as you did to your employers.

Won't be nearly as great.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:12 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No. There are people who are truly entrepreneurial. However, the OP sounds like someone who is "working for themselves" because they can't keep a job. There is a difference. True entrepreneurs know that they will have to be "accountable" to someone else in one way or another. Look at the CEO and founder of Uber.
I must be capable of holding a job, as I worked at my last job a little over 3 years. I can't be as big of a screw up as some of you make me out to be because I was able to do my job and get along with people well enough to not get fired. Both "real" jobs I've held in my life I quit voluntarily.

To quote George Carlin "I have a very low tolerance level for stupid BS" and I refuse to "go along to get along". I refuse to be subjected to BS, either it goes away or I do. Life's too short to to put up with that sort of thing, and I have the power to walk away from it and I'm not scared to exercise it.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:17 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Nope, "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way" applies to real rebellions as well. Even rebellions need a leader and a follower to accomplish change.

If you, as you said, started multiple businesses, then you are in the leader position. Did you have employees? Did you give them instructions for their jobs? Are you rebelling against yourself? You are "the man" you want to "stick it" to.

But I suspect you know all that. You also know this discussion isn't about rebellions against horrible dictators but about goof off employees who want to pretend they are rebels against authority when in reality they're don't want to work. What, you never had any of those in your businesses?
Who said I don't want to work. I just refuse to put up with favoritism, managers on a power trip who think they're King ****, or any other BS I'm subjected to in the workforce. People are too ready to accept tyranny because "It's their business and they can run it how they want". No, we have to stand up against these people and either force them into compliance, or force them out of business. We either must make them bend to our will or destroy them, there's no room for their BS in the workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment