Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:02 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times

Advertisements

I suppose if you offered fair wages and benefits, it might be easier to fill these jobs, and stopped age discrimination among other things.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...155558184.html

Quote:
It has never been harder to fill an open job in the United States.

According to a chart from Deutsche Bank economist Torsten Sløk, it now takes 31 days to fill an open job in America, up from 23 days in 2006 and about 15 days in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,003,794 times
Thats the lie today's employers tell themselves. Its humorous. Offer below market wages, throw the work of 3 people onto 1, and they can't understand why they can't fill job openings. Its probably all nonsense anyways. I see more job openings going unfilled because employers just REFUSE to fill them citing "expense concerns". Then don't waste the job seeker's time.

Their idea of "difficulty filling jobs" is not being able to find educated people with a good foundation to learn and a few years of experience for the lowest rate possible

Employers are the ones to blame for jobs being hard to fill, not the people seeking them. A few decades ago, you could apply for a job on Friday and be working by Monday. Now employers have become so picky about who they hire to the point where unfilled positions are hurting their bottom line. So you can't fill your entry-level position by requiring applicants to have a master's degree and 20 years of relevant experience? Shocker...

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-19-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 PM

118 posts, read 107,586 times
Seems bizarre with all these under-employed people out here. It's hardly believable

Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,449,872 times
This probably has a lot to do with the inane garbage hr puts candidates through today. There's too much power put in the hands of people who don't know the profession they're hiring for or the business.

Additionally, certain industries need to train for the specialized job roles they require. So many companies just want to poach ready made talent from their competitors.

Lastly, If you adjust the pay higher, you will get a better pool of applicants.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,155,803 times
A fair wage? Where I work, we're constantly trying to fill openings. We're offering well over $100k for new college grads, and it usually takes months to fill a position. It has nothing to do with "unfair wages" or discrimination. There are just too many companies competing for the talent.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,701 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
A fair wage? Where I work, we're constantly trying to fill openings. We're offering well over $100k for new college grads, and it usually takes months to fill a position. It has nothing to do with "unfair wages" or discrimination. There are just too many companies competing for the talent.
Same here, and recently some of our $100k employees have been poached by companies like Amazon, offering them more. Two in the last 6 months, plus one to Tableau, another to Starbucks headquarters.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:00 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,910,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats the lie today's employers tell themselves. Its humorous. Offer below market wages, throw the work of 3 people onto 1, and they can't understand why they can't fill job openings. Its probably all nonsense anyways. I see more job openings going unfilled because employers just REFUSE to fill them citing "expense concerns". Then don't waste the job seeker's time.

Their idea of "difficulty filling jobs" is not being able to find educated people with a good foundation to learn and a few years of experience for the lowest rate possible

Employers are the ones to blame for jobs being hard to fill, not the people seeking them. A few decades ago, you could apply for a job on Friday and be working by Monday. Now employers have become so picky about who they hire to the point where unfilled positions are hurting their bottom line. So you can't fill your entry-level position by requiring applicants to have a master's degree and 20 years of relevant experience? Shocker...
Pretty much.

Now hiring: Job Title X, Need an MBA. We want someone under age 30 with 20 years' experience that we can pay $45K a year and who will be totally cool with getting 1% or 2% increases annually.

To your other point, sometimes companies do advertise vacancies which don't exist as of yet to gather applications for a pool in case of future need. Yeah, it sucks but of course there is nothing illegal about it.

Hiring has become more complicated for a variety of reasons.

It doesn't help that so many companies have this "perfect candidate" mentality.

There is no "perfect candidate".

If I hire someone from the outside, s/he is going to have the skills/experiences/education I want but I am still going to have to train him/her on the company specific processes and such.

If I go with an internal promotion, they are going to know all the company specifics but are probably going to need coaching on leadership skills.

Most managers don't seem to get this concept anymore.

It's called coaching, and it's part of our jobs as managers.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,155,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Pretty much.

Now hiring: Job Title X, Need an MBA. We want someone under age 30 with 20 years' experience that we can pay $45K a year and who will be totally cool with getting 1% or 2% increases annually.

To your other point, sometimes companies do advertise vacancies which don't exist as of yet to gather applications for a pool in case of future need. Yeah, it sucks but of course there is nothing illegal about it.

Hiring has become more complicated for a variety of reasons.

It doesn't help that so many companies have this "perfect candidate" mentality.

There is no "perfect candidate".

If I hire someone from the outside, s/he is going to have the skills/experiences/education I want but I am still going to have to train him/her on the company specific processes and such.

If I go with an internal promotion, they are going to know all the company specifics but are probably going to need coaching on leadership skills.

Most managers don't seem to get this concept anymore.

It's called coaching, and it's part of our jobs as managers.
So why don't you start your own business? Then you can show those greedy companies and clueless managers how it's done.

Once you start offering those "fair wages", all the talent will come flocking to your business.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 PM

12,888 posts, read 9,127,934 times
Recently attempted to hire for an engineer position. This position was specifically designed for new college grads. Started with several hundred resumes. Most were eliminated in the first cut lacking basic qualifications. There's part of the problem -- some folks apply to everything in hopes of getting a random hit. Weeded it down to a group of candidates to interview. Over half of them turned down the interview. Made an offer to one. Couldn't come to agreement even though we offered a pretty generous package, someone else still beat us out. Tried again, made second offer. Same result.
Now we're on our third try.

Bottom line is top candidates are in demand and can negotiate. Problem is there really is a strong difference in quality between the top candidates and the rest. Not like A-B-C but more like A -----D--F. I've posted on this before but I was amazed how poor so many of the resumes were. No internships. No professional societies. No research/project while in college. Probably 80% were not much more than: Went to college; got degree in XYZ.

Whereas the top 20%: Went to college, got degree in XYZ and ABC; research in LMNOP led to published paper; member of project team in junior year, where I did X; captain of project team in senior year where I did Y. Member of blank and blank. President of blank. Internship at company K where I did blank that saved blank dollars.

Sure we can hire warm bodies. But finding qualified people who can learn and have initiative. That's a different story.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 PM

626 posts, read 628,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here, and recently some of our $100k employees have been poached by companies like Amazon, offering them more. Two in the last 6 months, plus one to Tableau, another to Starbucks headquarters.
Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment