Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,858,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Will places even allow you to submit a resume in person anymore?
Many small businesses do. You have an application to fill out by hand, and you attach your resume with a paperclip (resume usually optional).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 PM

12,882 posts, read 9,112,118 times
When you're hiring for many technical/engineering jobs, there are certain minimum qualifications that are essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its sounds to me like another employer that needs to quit playing it CHEAP, and invest in a little training for a new hire. If you can get through college, have a little experience, I think someone should have enough brains to learn the job they are applying for.

Nope. I've had to try to train people who didn't have the basic technical background. It's not just about having a college degree, but having the right coursework to provide the needed fundamentals and demonstrate ability in that field.

Most jobs can be learned through on the job training in a few months anyways in corporate america with a little training and trial and error. I mean you aren't splitting atoms or building nukes in most cases

There are only about 6000 physics BS graduated each year for example. A lot more jobs that need the degree than people with it.

I don't know where this warped idea has come from all of a sudden that people seem to be incapable of learning anything new after they hit their mid 20s-mid 30s. Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,154,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You guys are making it sound like any college grad can just stroll into one of those $100k jobs, which I know is balderdash...or, heck, my wife, my daughter, my SIL, and I would be walking into them.

Wait. I just checked the Amazon job site.

All their available "university, non-tech" jobs are in Germany and Czechoslovakia.

I guess we can't just walk into them...we'll have to do some swimming.
We're talking about motivated, hard-working people that actually majored in something useful. Sorry, but the people who coasted through college and got a worthless degree (most graduates) aren't the kind of people that top companies are looking for.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,851,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Due to my rather controversial posts in the politics section, I would rather not name the company I work for. But it's a well-known tech company you've certainly heard of. But most of the major tech companies offer salaries in that range.

Is your area of expertise computer science or electrical engineering?
No, my expertise is accounting, finance, and tax. Haven't reached 100k yet though even with bonuses.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,755,975 times
Quote:
A fair wage? Where I work, we're constantly trying to fill openings. We're offering well over $100k for new college grads, and it usually takes months to fill a position. It has nothing to do with "unfair wages" or discrimination. There are just too many companies competing for the talent.
I think that depends on the field. I have just started looking for a new job after my previous employer closed his business at the beginning of this year. I took some time off and just started to look. My old employer was in a different state and I telecommuted. Now Im looking for the same position here, but all the ones I'm finding literally pay half of what I was making! I can't believe it! As I also look through the listings I see other positions where employers are trying to pay people barely over minimum wage for 40 hours yet they want you to have a degree, experience, work weekends, etc. Are they crazy?

So that's why it's taking some employers forever to fill a position, because they have to wait for someone that's beyond despera to work for next to nothing. Just my honest opinion!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,763,145 times
Finding the right job takes time and patience because if the position is worth having why would a person want to leave? It's a few positions I would like to be in a couple of years from now but if the person loves where they work then there won't be any openings. The same way I like my current job and approaching four years is the reason there are no openings right now. So finding the right job is challenging because for company to have a opening, someone has to resigned, get promoted, get terminated or retire.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,333,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
They want extremely specialized certifications and/or skills, but aren't willing to train an otherwise qualified and bright candidate.
Extremely specialized certifications and/or skills may look good on paper for some prospective employers. When prospective employers think those certifications and skills are necessary for entry level positions with low pay, they will have issues of positions remaining unfilled.

I applied for a pharmacy technician position with a nationwide drugstore chain several years ago. Several of the drugstore chain's stores had interest in me. Regardless of my experience working in pharmacy for several years, being a state registered pharmacy technician for several years, and my skills set, management members of the interested stores hyped up and concentrated only on low paying service clerk positions. In my state, pharmacy technicians working outside the pharmacy during pharmacy hours would be serious violations strictly enforce by the state board of pharmacy (e.g. improper staffing, working beyond scope of practice). I lost interest in that drugstore chain and moved on to other careers.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
We're talking about motivated, hard-working people that actually majored in something useful. Sorry, but the people who coasted through college and got a worthless degree (most graduates) aren't the kind of people that top companies are looking for.
Well, no, nobody has said that until you just now. The OP didn't say that, nor did the article he linked. If that's what you meant, you should have said that upfront rather than being disingenuous.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
It could be the on boarding process is onerous and takes months...

Never thought this to be an issue until my little Hospital was acquired by a huge company... the red tape, restriction, etc... were unbelievable... to top it off more than a few had just completed or near completed and accepted positions at competitors... does boggle the mind the cost of hiring with nothing to show.

Maybe part of the process is to break you down and rebuild in the corporate culture?

We also lost about 15% in the process... they simply voted with their feet.

Why alienate highly skilled RNs and specialized OR Techs?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,934,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.

Everyone going to college doesn't raise the competence of the general population.
It just makes college more stupid and worthless as they dumb it down for mandatory passing rates.
The graduate degree becomes the new college education.
I know my local community college was considering eliminating college algebra as a mandatory class for graduation and replacing it with what amounts to an elementary school math class. Apparently over half the students enrolled could not pass it.

There was a time where college was only for smart people, or at least people who are willing to put in effort to do college level work. This is still the case at the more selective universities though. If you can't read or do basic math you're not going to be able to get into a school like Princeton or Stanford. Those happen to be the schools where firms like Google and Goldman Sachs recruit from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment