Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,034,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Not sure if my answer pertains to this question, but I know when I graduated college last year in 2016 with a degree in Biology, it was impossible to find a job. Half of it was I just graduated, so its not like I have real world experience yet. The other half was me not working in college (my parents forced me to not work, so I had no job skills).

So for the part with no experience yet, I think (in my personal opinion) employers discriminate recent graduates for some reason. Even though we literally have to start somewhere so its literally like "how can we get experience when no one would hire us?," and they claim to know this, they just do this plus ***** all over us. Most of the time they don't tell you how to start. After a while I figured out why because practically every employer did. Minority of people attempted to help, or at least try to help.

Thats my guess on why jobs go unfilled. I noticed that with jobs I applied for because the date posted would say from between 2009 and 2015 and I literally thought they probably don't have people to take down the listing, but then I come to find out they still looking. Then when they ***** all over us, its obvious why. They also must feel like wasting their time. But thats not my problem though.

My guess is this is why loads of people are unemployed, or work at retail longer than they should be.
That's why you should have been interning, going to events and meeting people in your field. Building relationships would have helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:27 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,034,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Does anyone else remember how easy it was to get a job when resumes were primarily submitted in person and there was human contact before anyone at the hiring company ever even laid eyes on the resume? If you submitted 10 resumes, chances are you'd get responses on 3 or 4 of them. Nowadays most resumes never even wind up in front of human eyes, and then employers wonder why they can't find just the right candidate.

Stop trying to hire a resume and try to hire a human being.
This exactly! Sometimes the person who doesn't look good on paper is the perfect person once you meet them. Just that 2 minute interaction can tell you much more than a resume.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:24 AM

13,101 posts, read 7,571,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here, and recently some of our $100k employees have been poached by companies like Amazon, offering them more. Two in the last 6 months, plus one to Tableau, another to Starbucks headquarters.
All this means is that our son in Seattle continually gets big raises, promotions, and stock options at his company of 4 years. He also has lost a couple of hires that he was instrumental in bringing on. Looks good on the resume. He works in a supporting role that makes managers look good . He has a huge network and I think his company knows it too. If not, he too will go.

Also means that someone else is paying a lot more because they need to have a job done or a future project grounded.

I love to invest in this type of company because they invest in growth.

Last edited by leastprime; 07-21-2017 at 03:33 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 AM

901 posts, read 748,961 times
People want 6 figure salaries and C-Suite perks and benefits for minimum wage skill sets.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 AM

22 posts, read 23,160 times
The hiring process is a joke.

First problem, HR. If you are a manager, you know what you want in an employee. I don't need Missy who used to file papers and chase claims to tell me what I need in a worker. I know the skill set I require to do the jobs and I as the manager should be screening the resumes.

Get rid of HR in the early hiring process.

Secondly, anyone who is involved on the basic level (fielding resumes and phone calls) should act in a professional manner.

You get perfectly decent, respectable people applying to jobs at stores but then the process get stalled.

Either the person who can hire is too busy or they automatically assume that the candidate is a moron for applying as a cashier or stocker or food service worker and should be treated as such.

Has anyone NOT gone through these scenarios:

1. Apply for job. Manager/HR/person in charge calls you at a bad time so you let it go to voice mail. Maybe you're just in your car or the bathroom. Okay you compose yourself and call them back. Phone tag begins until you never hear from them again.

2. Apply for a job in the black hole online. Never hear a word. Go to the store and they say apply online.
Repeat to fade.

3. You call back after they initially call you and then the snarky attitude begins. Something must be wrong with you because you are out of work in THIS GREAT ECONOMY.

Good managers and good companies should just provide excellent hiring processes and treat people of all ages with dignity.

When that happens again (it used to be more common than now, kids) then the process will be fixed.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,630,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
A fair wage? Where I work, we're constantly trying to fill openings. We're offering well over $100k for new college grads, and it usually takes months to fill a position. It has nothing to do with "unfair wages" or discrimination. There are just too many companies competing for the talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here, and recently some of our $100k employees have been poached by companies like Amazon, offering them more. Two in the last 6 months, plus one to Tableau, another to Starbucks headquarters.
I believe you both.

And how much does a 3-bedroom single family home in a good neighborhood within a 30 minute drive from your offices cost?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,630,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Recently attempted to hire for an engineer position. This position was specifically designed for new college grads. Started with several hundred resumes. Most were eliminated in the first cut lacking basic qualifications. There's part of the problem -- some folks apply to everything in hopes of getting a random hit. Weeded it down to a group of candidates to interview. Over half of them turned down the interview. Made an offer to one. Couldn't come to agreement even though we offered a pretty generous package, someone else still beat us out. Tried again, made second offer. Same result.
Now we're on our third try.

Bottom line is top candidates are in demand and can negotiate. Problem is there really is a strong difference in quality between the top candidates and the rest. Not like A-B-C but more like A -----D--F. I've posted on this before but I was amazed how poor so many of the resumes were. No internships. No professional societies. No research/project while in college. Probably 80% were not much more than: Went to college; got degree in XYZ.

Whereas the top 20%: Went to college, got degree in XYZ and ABC; research in LMNOP led to published paper; member of project team in junior year, where I did X; captain of project team in senior year where I did Y. Member of blank and blank. President of blank. Internship at company K where I did blank that saved blank dollars.

Sure we can hire warm bodies. But finding qualified people who can learn and have initiative. That's a different story.
Surely you realize that those 'A' quality graduates are worth MULTIPLES of the going wage for a standard candidate, right? As in, the company that ended up hiring them got a bargain REGARDLESS of the wages paid.

I'm amazed that such a candidate is EVER on the open market for any price. How would they not have been recruited by the top companies while they were still a student?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,048,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
Wonder why school districts and transit have a hard to recurting drivers?
Because the kids do not behave and they expect to pay drivers $12 an hour in a fairly high cost of living area (MD)....to put up with the abuse from unruly children. Welfare sounds more appealing.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,048,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think that depends on the field. I have just started looking for a new job after my previous employer closed his business at the beginning of this year. I took some time off and just started to look. My old employer was in a different state and I telecommuted. Now Im looking for the same position here, but all the ones I'm finding literally pay half of what I was making! I can't believe it! As I also look through the listings I see other positions where employers are trying to pay people barely over minimum wage for 40 hours yet they want you to have a degree, experience, work weekends, etc. Are they crazy?

So that's why it's taking some employers forever to fill a position, because they have to wait for someone that's beyond despera to work for next to nothing. Just my honest opinion!
This has been my findings as well.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 AM

626 posts, read 628,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Eh, this sounds like hogwash. Maybe some no-name online for-profit "university" perhaps.
That's wrong and I know that for a fact. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-21-2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment