Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 01:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,031,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You don't really want those jobs filled. Not really.

If you were actually losing money by those jobs being unfilled, at some point someone would figure out that hiring the best you could find and then training him would be the best business route.
Exactly. My last employer was a PITA like this.

We needed an additional android developer. We had someone on staff that took interest, had basic knowledge, but wasn't an expert by any means. Instead of transferring him from his software developer role and mentoring/training him, they let the job sit vacant for over 6 months. I don't know if they ever filled it, actually. Dumb move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,492,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Print still has it's place and those that don't realize are foregoing market share.

A little off topic...

I had a crew working late a couple of weeks ago and was charged with feeding them... Pizza Hut opened nearby and twice sent over someone to solicit the hospital business... so I thought why not?

I walk across the street to order $300 of pizza pointing to the special... the manager asked if I was here for pickup... said I will wait and go ahead and charge my card.

Manager then said the special is ONLINE ONLY... told him it is a little late for that as I am already here... Pizza Hut says that's OK as I can use my phone... well my work phone is an old Nokia so no online and I show him... still says no... I then ask if I could use his phone to make the order and again no...

I left and got Chinese from the next door establishment... and it was less expensive.

Having worked in retail and sales... I was always taught to take care of the customer in front of you...

Reached out to Pizza Hut corporate and was told each manager has individual discretion and hoped I would try again... that was it...

I can say I have no intentions of placing any Pizza Hut orders for the Hospital anytime soon...

Makes me wonder where they find these individuals to be managers???
I wonder if you told Pizza Hut corporate that nope, you'll continue to give your business to the Chinese restaurant instead, if they'd done anything about that. Probably not?

Old 07-22-2017, 02:38 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I wonder if you told Pizza Hut corporate that nope, you'll continue to give your business to the Chinese restaurant instead, if they'd done anything about that. Probably not?
It didn't mean much to Big Pizza Hut.

As someone has mentioned, it might have been that their POS software technically wouldn't have allowed them to apply the discount to a walk-in.

Of course, that doesn't mean a manager couldn't have made an equivalent discount on the spot (just that it would have come out of his own money rather than Big Pizza Hut's money).

"Take care of the customer in front of you" used to be a thing. You see that fail when you're standing at the counter and the clerk is answering the phone instead of asking the caller to hold while he waits on you.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,430,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I would agree if it were just basic salary. But we're paying that salary while sending them to school full time. That has to count for something.
I'm going by your description of desired candidates vs. compensation package offered. If it's working for you, carry on.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:09 PM

25,665 posts, read 17,406,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
How long have you been retired? When's the last time you applied for a job?.............:

If you believe that jobs cannot be had for the asking you are wrong, and the post I was answering is a perfect example. The story was about a guy who hid in his house and posted applications and resumes, but didn't get anywhere until he took personal action.

You furthered the point with the story about your wife who scored a zero until she actually started talking to people. The fact that she did not see them face-to-face is inconsequential. She took action; she talked to people; she got the job.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,793,507 times
Yep... I've seen it where I work too.

There was a time a time when the Hospital would bend over backwards to accommodate Surgeons... this is no more.

The Stark Law changed all that and has been interpreted very broadly...

The wife of one of the Docs were expecting their first child and the staff went in and bought an expensive stroller as a baby shower gift...

Legal said it has to be reported as it exceeded the dollar threshold... even though it was not the Hospital paying for it and technically it went to the wife of the Doc...

The rules, no matter how well intentioned have left us as a nation being run by lawyers...

The daughter of an elderly patient was so impressed at her mother's care she sent Starbucks Cards for the staff that provided her care... the cards had to be returned to the daughter and made the family's act of kindness go negative from the family's point of view... the patient said she can give to anyone she wants... which I guess is true but accepting would jeopardize the job of those receiving...

However, had the patient sent a box of candy of nominal value it would have been OK... as it was no money or the equivalent...

We have lost several very accomplished nurses and managers simply because they said these rules interfere with their provider relationship...

New hires know no difference so are more malleable.

One of my actions was used to demonstrate how things had changed...

A trauma surgeon got the ER Call... she was out with her twin 4 year old girls and there was no one else to cover as the on call were already working cases...

I told the Doc I would watch her kids so just bring them with you... they girls were so sweet and really enjoyed seeing where Mom works... I had them for a little over 3 hours... under the new rules the Hospital would have to account for the fair market value of my services provided... totally indifferent to the fact the Mother was saving a life at the time...

Never been harder is what we as a society have brought on ourselves.

My Uncle got his first real job by making a proposition to the company owner... he was hiring but my uncle had no experience... my uncle said I will work a week and if either decides it is not a good fit... no harm... the owner took him up on that offer and he was kept on until he went into the Service.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,804,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Print still has it's place and those that don't realize are foregoing market share.

A little off topic...

I had a crew working late a couple of weeks ago and was charged with feeding them... Pizza Hut opened nearby and twice sent over someone to solicit the hospital business... so I thought why not?

I walk across the street to order $300 of pizza pointing to the special... the manager asked if I was here for pickup... said I will wait and go ahead and charge my card.

Manager then said the special is ONLINE ONLY... told him it is a little late for that as I am already here... Pizza Hut says that's OK as I can use my phone... well my work phone is an old Nokia so no online and I show him... still says no... I then ask if I could use his phone to make the order and again no...

I left and got Chinese from the next door establishment... and it was less expensive.

Having worked in retail and sales... I was always taught to take care of the customer in front of you...

Reached out to Pizza Hut corporate and was told each manager has individual discretion and hoped I would try again... that was it...

I can say I have no intentions of placing any Pizza Hut orders for the Hospital anytime soon...

Makes me wonder where they find these individuals to be managers???
Each Pizza Hut is a small business, that is a franchisee of Pizza Hut corporation. And yes, each store owner, makes their own rules, and is not controlled by Corporate Headquarters.

A lot of retail businesses, are locally owned, and are franchised, including most fast food type restaurants, and even many retail stores.

A lot of businesses that appear to be part of a national company, are still small businesses that the owners bought a franchise to be one of the stores with a certain name and type of product be it food or other items. Here is a partial list of franchised businesses. Click SEE FRANCHISOR ADDITIONAL RESULTS and get page after page of franchised business listings.

When you go to a franchised business, you are going to a small businessman/woman owned business.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,793,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Each Pizza Hut is a small business, that is a franchisee of Pizza Hut corporation. And yes, each store owner, makes their own rules, and is not controlled by Corporate Headquarters.

A lot of retail businesses, are locally owned, and are franchised, including most fast food type restaurants, and even many retail stores.

A lot of businesses that appear to be part of a national company, are still small businesses that the owners bought a franchise to be one of the stores with a certain name and type of product be it food or other items. Here is a partial list of franchised businesses. Click SEE FRANCHISOR ADDITIONAL RESULTS and get page after page of franchised business listings.

When you go to a franchised business, you are going to a small businessman/woman owned business.
I hear what you are saying but the store has a sign prominently posted that Reads we Value your opinion and a phone number to Corporate.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,718,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
An application with 200 text boxes (which I've never come across) would be far more work than printing and mailing a resume, which is the level of difficulty I suggested.
I have seen some that require you to find codes from lists of items that have hundreds or over a thousand codes. The amount of time it takes to fill in a text box application that has a code for your university, your major, the state of the school (starting with HS diploma level), your job field... it is ridiculous. Usually I see those and quit immediately.

My point was that there has to be a balance between weeding out people who apply indiscriminately and making the application so onerous that qualified applicants will give up.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,804,557 times
You have to look at it from an employers point of view.

The majority of the applicants, will never be qualified for the job that is being advertised. Because the applicant thinks it is something they would like to do, does not mean they are anywhere near qualified to do the job.

Applicants say the company should hire them, and spend a year or two training them to do the job and make them qualified. Today the average younger worker, figures that as soon as they get trained they will look for a higher paid job. The employers know this, and that is exactly why they do not want to train someone to do the job. It costs money, and the untrained trainee is no where near fully productive for maybe a year or more. Training and getting a new employee up to speed where they are really productive is expensive, so if a new employee can be expected to within 2 years look for an even better job, it is not cost effective to train someone.

That is the big reason they only hire trained people, that are really qualified for the job. If you want to get a job and really be trained to do the job, will you be willing to sign a firm 5 year contract that allows the employer to recover most of the training costs before you leave? Most won't, so they are not going to train someone that is completely not qualified for the job, and the employer will not hire you if you would not be willing to do so.

Too many starting workers, look at mid career wage figures for a job, and demand that wage for a starting position where they have to be trained. They do not look at what is starting wages for that particular job, and the two are considerably apart.

There are the reasons, that some jobs are hard to fill. There are simply not enough qualified people for the job, and employers have been burned too many times hiring someone that is not qualified that leave as soon as they can get trained, which costs the employer production, time and costs they have spent training for people to train you, low production while training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment