Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 02:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,234,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The Hospital IT guy... well one of the 5 for the region is a working fool...

Last week he worked seven 15 hour days... he is making more than many of the docs... several are out for vacation and one is out on medical... attitude and talent.

No matter when or where the call comes his reply is the same... "I'm on my way"

This has not gone unnoticed but for now he is that guy... his other co-workers have family and don't take it well having to leave for work...

$45 straight time plus 1.5 and double time plus weekend differential... it really adds up quick~!
I need good HVAC techs and pay more than that. Just cant find any..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,853,326 times
I hear you but not sure any the HVAC guys I know could do 7 straight 15 hour days...

I do HVAC trouble shooting and things like relays and condenser fan replacement... 8 hours on a hot roof would finish me...

Now long shifts in Air Conditioned Hospital space downloading/updating software is another thing.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 PM

4,048 posts, read 2,730,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I was once told by an HR rep that, "Bigger Companies hate long term Employees and, relishes short term Employees".
When i ask her why, she gave me some formula she learned at some HR Convention. This Formula Basically gives a chart on the productivity, and benefits paid between a new employee and a long term employee.
Long Term Employee:
More paid in Benefits, More Time off, Productivity is not as high as new employee.
Short Term Employee:
Less In Benefits paid, Less pay, More Productivity as short term worker tries to prove themselves.
I can't remember the formula in full but that's kind of how she explained it

I cant even believe that she said that...ridiculous. How did you respond?
We celebrate our long term employees while still holding them accountable for their body of work. Hiring people is an expense and a high attrition rate far outweighs the costs associated with long term employees.

And I am in HR within a big company.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,439,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well see, that is the problem then, you are not offering enough money. So the problem is not enough candidates, it is that your company is not offering enough money. This is like a farmer complaining there is no one available to pick blueberries for 12 hours a day, at a pay rate of 50 cents a day.

I work in Miami, and I am pretty positive we are not ever going to recruit someone from Memphis at the same pay considering Miami COL is much more. So if we need to recruit someone, we have to pay more, not pay what they are paying in lower COL areas.
So your suggestion is that we pay recruits from other areas more than everyone here gets paid? Is that what your employer does? So if the candidates is local the employer pays them less?

Currently we are competitive with the area. Its a small industry. We only compare incomes in other hospitals. Our county has 8 area Acute Care hospitals. I have friends that work at three other hospitals and I can tell you that we are all competitive with the pay.

I have looked at jobs in other states and I can tell you that we pay more than hospitals in other states. Back in 2007- 2008 I was trying to move to Arizona and was surprised at the pay. I was looking for something a bit more or at least equal to what we make but it cost less to live there so the employers pay less money. Recently looked at Tennessee because my wife has friends there and family in the north part of Georgia. The hospital in the city we were looking at pays a lot less than what we make here.

The problem is not pay as you suggest. The problem is that for the past 25 or so years everyone has been telling kids to go to college and get a degree in English, Sociology, or something else. There parents were both working so much that the dad's never taught the boys how to fix anything, or maybe there was no dad in the home to do that. Many young people decided that it was a lot more lucrative to learn about computers or communication but few wanted to learn about pipe fitting, steam, plumbing, or any number of trades.

Today I was speaking to one of our contractors and he was telling me that the problem he sees is that few people went into Construction right out of high school like many of us did when we were young. He works for a company that has more work then people able to do the work.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,853,326 times
It is very hard to find hands on skills...

And when you do there is often a problem... the number one for my contractor friends is a clean driving, drug test and sometimes need to be bond able...

Know a few skilled guys that have to work in the shadows because of DUI...

Right now the market is also tightening... 5 years ago I was getting a lot of calls from companies looking from any work... these are firms I have used before.

Much different now... even hard to get bids for small projects.

My best guys will go time and materials which causes fits with Admin... but has ALWAYS come out under budget...

Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats the lie today's employers tell themselves. Its humorous. Offer below market wages, throw the work of 3 people onto 1, and they can't understand why they can't fill job openings. Its probably all nonsense anyways. I see more job openings going unfilled because employers just REFUSE to fill them citing "expense concerns". Then don't waste the job seeker's time.

Their idea of "difficulty filling jobs" is not being able to find educated people with a good foundation to learn and a few years of experience for the lowest rate possible

Employers are the ones to blame for jobs being hard to fill, not the people seeking them. A few decades ago, you could apply for a job on Friday and be working by Monday. Now employers have become so picky about who they hire to the point where unfilled positions are hurting their bottom line. So you can't fill your entry-level position by requiring applicants to have a master's degree and 20 years of relevant experience? Shocker...
"Candidate must have 10 years of experience with Windows 10"

Old 07-21-2017, 05:03 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,512,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm in the SF Bay Area... some of the jobs the kids of my friends are landing are amazing... that is until they try to find housing near work... Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, etc.
Nailed it.

A $70k/year job in the suburbs of some random small city is light years better than a $120k/year job in the Bay Area.

I interviewed at Google and had an opportunity for a second interview, and had an opportunity to interview at Facebook. Turned both down because despite both positions paying well over $100k/year, it just wasn't worth the commute and absolute ridiculousness of the real estate market.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,539,876 times
Hey, it's free market economics, pure supply and demand, it's the American way. It was only about 7 or 8 years ago, you couldn't buy a job, the employers held all the cards, so today the scales are tipped a little in the employee direction. My employer took back benefits during the recession, we never got them back, now I'm retiring and they've asked me to stay on until they get my replacement (could be quite a while given current market). Sorry........ bye bye.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:11 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,319,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Nailed it.

A $70k/year job in the suburbs of some random small city is light years better than a $120k/year job in the Bay Area.

I interviewed at Google and had an opportunity for a second interview, and had an opportunity to interview at Facebook. Turned both down because despite both positions paying well over $100k/year, it just wasn't worth the commute and absolute ridiculousness of the real estate market.
In the long term I would agree. But if you're young and willing to live in a dump with others in hostel-like conditions for a few years you can bank some serious money and then go buy a house in a small city. And the prominent tech company on your resume may open up a lot of doors.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM

2,261 posts, read 4,771,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Pretty much.

Now hiring: Job Title X, Need an MBA. We want someone under age 30 with 20 years' experience that we can pay $45K a year and who will be totally cool with getting 1% or 2% increases annually.

To your other point, sometimes companies do advertise vacancies which don't exist as of yet to gather applications for a pool in case of future need. Yeah, it sucks but of course there is nothing illegal about it.

Hiring has become more complicated for a variety of reasons.

It doesn't help that so many companies have this "perfect candidate" mentality.

There is no "perfect candidate".

If I hire someone from the outside, s/he is going to have the skills/experiences/education I want but I am still going to have to train him/her on the company specific processes and such.

If I go with an internal promotion, they are going to know all the company specifics but are probably going to need coaching on leadership skills.

Most managers don't seem to get this concept anymore.

It's called coaching, and it's part of our jobs as managers.
I'm helping my wife find a new job, some secretary type work and there were alot of positions like that that required a bachelor's degree to pay someone $15/ hour to answer phones and make coffee.
I've also been looking for a job in drafting/design seems everyone either wants a full blown engineer, or someone fresh out of school to pay peanuts all for the same job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment