Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The problem with making it TOO easy to apply for jobs online is that employers will get hundreds or even thousands of resumes from people with zero qualifications. Literally zero. It's work to weed through them. Ten or more years ago, you had to print and mail your resume or fax it. A level of effort that matches that (say, text boxes that allow you to paste info from your resume) and checkboxes confirming (for example) that you live in the area and have the degree or experience required would, I think, filter out people with no qualifications but not be too much work for people who do.
The problem with this is that people who already have jobs don't necessarily have 2 hours to spend filling out an application that requires you to fill in 200 text boxes. I don't mind some text boxes that ask for demographic information, but when I have to fill out a text box section for my HS diploma and I have 2 graduate degrees, text boxes for every single supervisor with phone number and email address, even for jobs that were some time ago and the supervisor might not be there anymore, etc... it just causes me to leave the application.

I understand that with this current system, people are flooded, but there has to be a balance between flooding and making the application so onerous that qualified applicants get turned off because they find out that their carefully crafted resume now has to be cut and pasted into text boxes that don't accept rich text format and only accept a certain amount of characters per position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I have a friend who is just about top of the line in his field (Power Electronics). The company he worked for suddenly sold out to a overseas company and he was laid off. He thought it would be easy to get a job. He went online for 6 months sending out resume after resume and applying at the online sites. Got 5 replies in all that time.
Hi finally just got up and went into a local company got to see the operations officer and was hired on the spot. Said they had been advertising for 3 months and couldnt get any qualified candidates. My friend mentioned that he had applied twice for jobs that the company had advertised and hadnt received a single reply.

Is there a ranking of people who work that field? Sounds like an odd thing to know.
What are you basing that on?

Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
arent internships supposed to be a tax-deductible loss for employers.
If unpaid, yes.

Otherwise, if they're doing a job that a paid employee might do, or have a financial impact that a paid employee might have, they must be paid interns.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,228,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Is there a ranking of people who work that field? Sounds like an odd thing to know.
What are you basing that on?
Why do you care? is it your field too?
Anyhow he owns in part many of the currently used patents in power and PM motor Inverters and is right on the cutting edge of new design.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The problem with this is that people who already have jobs don't necessarily have 2 hours to spend filling out an application that requires you to fill in 200 text boxes. I don't mind some text boxes that ask for demographic information, but when I have to fill out a text box section for my HS diploma and I have 2 graduate degrees, text boxes for every single supervisor with phone number and email address, even for jobs that were some time ago and the supervisor might not be there anymore, etc... it just causes me to leave the application.

I understand that with this current system, people are flooded, but there has to be a balance between flooding and making the application so onerous that qualified applicants get turned off because they find out that their carefully crafted resume now has to be cut and pasted into text boxes that don't accept rich text format and only accept a certain amount of characters per position.
An application with 200 text boxes (which I've never come across) would be far more work than printing and mailing a resume, which is the level of difficulty I suggested.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
I have a friend who is just about top of the line in his field (Power Electronics). The company he worked for suddenly sold out to a overseas company and he was laid off. He thought it would be easy to get a job. He went online for 6 months sending out resume after resume and applying at the online sites. Got 5 replies in all that time.
Hi finally just got up and went into a local company got to see the operations officer and was hired on the spot. Said they had been advertising for 3 months and couldnt get any qualified candidates. My friend mentioned that he had applied twice for jobs that the company had advertised and hadnt received a single reply.
The chances of me EVER applying online were zero. I'm retired now, but back in the day I never "sent out resumes" either.

Both are stupid, unproductive moves. You want a job?....... GO TALK TO PEOPLE!

Another portion of the article pointed out that people will not move to where the jobs are. That's a serious mistake, too.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
Quote:
Could be either HR or IT incompetence. The book Why Good People Can't Get Jobs tells about an engineering position where the computer rejected 25,000 applicants for a job. Or maybe there was something about your friend's resume format that was hard for the employers' software to read. I didn't have any trouble getting jobs by applying for them online.

See https://books.google.com/books?id=IU...%2C000&f=false

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Because the kids do not behave and they expect to pay drivers $12 an hour in a fairly high cost of living area (MD)....to put up with the abuse from unruly children. Welfare sounds more appealing.
They're advertising pay of $17.50 in Illinois. Has to be lower cost of living. Remember this is the State which went 2-1/2 years without a budget, and only passed one because the bond rating houses threatened to cut the bonds to junk status.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
There is often a huge disconnect the more removed you are.

Similar happened to a friend that was a plant super independent for medical gases...

The ironic thing is he was later recruited for the job he had previously applied.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:07 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,228,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Could be either HR or IT incompetence. The book Why Good People Can't Get Jobs tells about an engineering position where the computer rejected 25,000 applicants for a job. Or maybe there was something about your friend's resume format that was hard for the employers' software to read. I didn't have any trouble getting jobs by applying for them online.

See https://books.google.com/books?id=IU4CGIQ4D9EC&pg=PT8&dq=employers+unrealis tic+expectations&hl=en&sa=X& and eventhou people kept offerin g him jobs they were all in ved=0ahUKEwir6cWCm53VAhWDeCYKHV92Dt8Q6AEIQTAF#v=on epage&q=10%2C000&f=false
I would say both...
Anyhow he was interested in changing his point of focus. So even thou he was offered jobs from other companies he wanted to try something new. He thought it would be a piece of cake with all his experience. But as he found out, the "Computerized" HR departments look for specific keywords in your resume or input fields. If they dont match their parameters, the entire resume is rejected and no one ever sees it. Its like the shopping web sites that are item specific. No one ever sees the accessories and matching items because they are on another page and no one really knows what they are called anyhow. So they never get sold.
A friend of mine had a 100 year old company that manufactures and sells burner parts. They went to a web based catalog as soon as the internet became reliable. For years sales stagnated and they almost went under. Someone proposed to them to go back to a print catalog along with the web one. THey sent out catalogs to all their existing customers and they had a 400% increase in sales because people could now see their products even if they didnt know the name.

Companies lose out on a lot of good profitable employees because they dont talk to them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment