Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times

Advertisements

When I was looking for work last year, someone from a engineering firm asked me if I was applying for an admin or an engineering job. (I have an engineering degree. I left engineering in 1999 because there was no work available.) She mentioned the salary for the admin job was $15 and hour, and the salary I was seeking was more towards what their engineers made. I told her that what they paid engineers was around what I'd been making as an admin. The wage they were paying admins was what I was making 15 years ago. I'm sure someone there is complaining that they just can't find qualified workers.

I've also noticed the "perfect candidate" mentality, multiple interviews for low-level jobs, job listings that look like two or three job descriptions rolled into one, and declining wages (especially when you take housing costs into consideration).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:21 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Seriously, how bright do you have to be to run up $75,000 in student loans to get a degree in history or psychology anyway?
You should really ask conservative pundits like Tucker Carlson or Dinesh D'Souza this. They majored in history and english, respectively. And there are plenty of others out there whose opinions you value quite dearly who majored in "useless" majors. Also, constitutional history isn't all that bad. After all, who will be tomorrow's leaders continuing the Ron Paul revolution and spreading your libertarian love?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
One of my close friends has had an excellent career that all started with his English degree... he is a technical writer and has worked for most of the big players in Silicon Valley.

When in school many thought he was going into teaching like most in his family... he surprised them when he went to work for a start up...

One comment on the flip side... it can be much harder to rid yourself of an employee... just like it is with residential tenants here which greatly intensified the screening process.

For some the key was temping until they found just the right match...

Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think the HR convention was run by an ignorant short term employee. Everything I have read and learned suggests the opposite. Common sense also suggests the opposite. Consider how much time and money is spent on training new employees. Plus experienced employees have to take time out of their work training newbies. Sure, the long term employees require benefits, but they are also more likely to remain loyal to the company in anticipation of receiving these benefits, thus not requiring replacement for another new employee who needs interviewing, vetting, training, etc. And the company morale and stability suffers with high turnover.
Perhaps, when it's time for layoffs, the short term employees take it better.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:59 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I hear you but not sure any the HVAC guys I know could do 7 straight 15 hour days...

I do HVAC trouble shooting and things like relays and condenser fan replacement... 8 hours on a hot roof would finish me...

Now long shifts in Air Conditioned Hospital space downloading/updating software is another thing.
Usually it is 15 hour days for 3 months straight.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My only experience is with commercial units such as built-up DX or Carrier Package units.

I'm in California and have never lived in a home with A/C and only one home in my neighborhood has it.

All the trades here have help wanted... not a long interview process... who did you work for, show me what you can do and pass Drug and Physical and be acceptable to Insurance Carrier.

If you know someone and ready to jump it might only be a clean driving record that is checked.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So why don't you start your own business? Then you can show those greedy companies and clueless managers how it's done.

Once you start offering those "fair wages", all the talent will come flocking to your business.
Sorry, but no. That argument is like receiving a rotten steak at a restaurant, rightly complaining about it, and being told, "Well, you have no right to complain until you've opened a restaurant that serves steak of your own!" It's a tired and invalid argument.

No, the reason companies are having a "hard time" filling jobs is entirely self-inflicted. I've been on both sides of the situation - the company looking to hire and the guy looking for a job - the past 5+ years, and it's the company's problem, not the people looking for work. Countless examples include:
  • Companies who refuse to hire the unemployed
  • Companies who practice age discrimination
  • Companies who only want "local candidates" - a pool of previous layoff victims from their own company, half the time
  • Companies who demand absurdly narrow requirements, down to which software versions you've used, that rule out anybody who doesn't already work there.
  • Companies who post fake jobs; ones already filled by internal candidates or jobs that are perpetually unfilled just to maintain the department budget or some illusion of "creating jobs."
  • Companies who pay horrible wages and expect to get miracle workers in return.
  • Endless contract jobs that pay poorly and offer lousy wages and no benefits replacing real work. You can't make a real living off this type of no-future crap.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Recently attempted to hire for an engineer position. This position was specifically designed for new college grads. Started with several hundred resumes. Most were eliminated in the first cut lacking basic qualifications. There's part of the problem -- some folks apply to everything in hopes of getting a random hit. Weeded it down to a group of candidates to interview. Over half of them turned down the interview. Made an offer to one. Couldn't come to agreement even though we offered a pretty generous package, someone else still beat us out. Tried again, made second offer. Same result.
Now we're on our third try.
With regard to the part in bold, unemployment insurance requires you to prove that you're looking for work, and our culture demands that the unemployed "take any job!" or they are "useless welfare bums."

So, until those cultural issues change, expect an endless number of people applying for the "wrong" job. Of course, corporations' general refusal to actually hire qualified candidates is a bigger part of the problem, but I've already addressed that in an earlier post.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
I think largely what is happening is most of the hiring is at the tech and educated level. Our team is all MSs or PhDs in CS, statistics, analytics, or social sciences with a very strong quantitative background. There aren't an abundance of people from the US with those types of qualifications.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 PM

531 posts, read 452,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
There aren't an abundance of people from the US with those types of qualifications.
I recently read a book about Argonne National Labs and their project to invent an electric-car battery. The team leader was from Morocco and he refused to hire US citizens. He said their work ethic was insufficient. He hired Chinese and Moroccans, instead.

Now I think this person should be working for the Moroccan Department of Energy, not at an American-funded research lab. But what happens is these H-1B holders get into management and hire their fellow Elbonians, or whatever. They say Americans don't have the qualifications, don't get along with the aliens, don't speak their language, don't work hard enough. But it comes down to hiring their buddies. Making up arbitrary requirements is one way it works.

Another way is a variation of the old "courtesy bid" scam. Your manager from Elbonia narrows the field down to his cousin's brother-in-law and two Ag graduates from UCal-Davis. He then points out that the Americans don't have the necessary qualifications and he therefore has to hire his relative. What he doesn't say is that he already rejected all the qualified American applicants for trivial reasons.

My brother made the mistake of hiring several Chinese CS PhD's for his automation company. They spent all their time surfing the Internet. Doing actual work was beneath their dignity.

Meanwhile, Argonne has not produced anything useful. But they are sucking up the money the last Administration threw at the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment