Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,427,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
1) "Sixty nine per cent of candidates from top 100 colleges are able to write a compilable code" - for a machine learning assessment. How many software jobs require anything close to writing artificial intelligence algorithms? But the real flaw here is that it was testing graduates with no experience. If you actually did any research, you'll see that Indian IT staff learn most their useable skills in the 18 months of work.

Most importantly is that Adobe, Microsoft, and many other large technology companies use a large amount of Indians to write their code. So the real world has disproved this poorly conducted survey.

Lastly, IT is not all about software development (let alone machine learning and AI)

2) The problem is that we still don't produce enough adequate engineers to meet our demands. We produce plenty of low quality ones that end up doing .NET and/or SQL work and we produce a decent amount of high quality ones that are now flocking to blockchain, NodeJS, etc... (from a software dev perspective), but by sheer numbers and size of the pool, countries like India will always be able to produce more talent. A lot of it has to do with pure intellectual power for math and sciences in India... which is generally fine because Americans are good at everything else.

So, while you lack of knowledge in this area and propaganda may make you think otherwise, it's good to actually wake up and do your own research. Reach out to Phil Ydens at Adobe... see how he runs his operations. And, no, it's not about money for Adobe.
I don't need to do my own research; most software people aren't at the bleeding edge and do pretty dull, middle-of-the-road type work (myself included). DFW has a massive immigrant population and an Indian immigrant population well into the six figures, so I'm quite familiar with H1Bs and their work.

Indian "talent" should work on building up India instead of being pawns in the game of "let's race to the bottom."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:51 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,365,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't need to do my own research; most software people aren't at the bleeding edge and do pretty dull, middle-of-the-road type work (myself included). DFW has a massive immigrant population and an Indian immigrant population well into the six figures, so I'm quite familiar with H1Bs and their work.

Indian "talent" should work on building up India instead of being pawns in the game of "let's race to the bottom."
You say that most software people aren't the bleeding edge but earlier you used a survey that conducted a test in machine learning compilation competency as your justification of why Indians aren't talented? Yeah, I don't think you know much about this field.

All you've shown through your source thus far is that "Sixty nine per cent of candidates from top 100 colleges" are more competent than people who do "middle-of-the-road type work" like yourself. Perhaps another reason why it's attractive to hire H1B's here.

H1B talent are making great money here. There's a great reason why companies like Google are offering well into the six figures for this talent... and it's not to save money.

Google Salaries : Visadoor.com

India is building up their company. Their IT industry is growing rapidly. Their other tech and science areas are following. The best part is that they have so many people that countries like the US that don't have enough can take advantage of to grow their own countries. Economics... it's a beautiful thing.

All of this is unrelated to the fraudsters in the OP... which are the real problem. I'm glad we're cracking down on them.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,844,437 times
Quote:
H1B talent are making great money here. There's a great reason why companies like Google are offering well into the six figures for this talent... and it's not to save money.
$130,000/yr in the Bay Area is living in abject poverty. Rents close to Mountain View where Google is located are somethin glike $5000/month for a 1 bedroom.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
$130,000/yr in the Bay Area is living in abject poverty. Rents close to Mountain View where Google is located are somethin glike $5000/month for a 1 bedroom.
I used Google as an example simply because an uninformed poster in this thread brought them up. If Google has their software engineers living in poverty, I guess that sucks for them. But it doesn't seem that way:

https://www.google.com/search?q=medi...ain+view%2C+ca

Old 12-28-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You say that most software people aren't the bleeding edge but earlier you used a survey that conducted a test in machine learning compilation competency as your justification of why Indians aren't talented? Yeah, I don't think you know much about this field.

All you've shown through your source thus far is that "Sixty nine per cent of candidates from top 100 colleges" are more competent than people who do "middle-of-the-road type work" like yourself. Perhaps another reason why it's attractive to hire H1B's here.

Google Salaries : Visadoor.com

India is building up their company. Their IT industry is growing rapidly. Their other tech and science areas are following. The best part is that they have so many people that countries like the US that don't have enough can take advantage of to grow their own countries. Economics... it's a beautiful thing.

All of this is unrelated to the fraudsters in the OP... which are the real problem. I'm glad we're cracking down on them.
It's all there if you want to Google it.

I work with H1Bs on a daily basis so I feel no obligation to prove that they're incompetent when it's something as obvious as grass being green or water being wet.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
It's all there if you want to Google it.

I work with H1Bs on a daily basis so I feel no obligation to prove that they're incompetent when it's something as obvious as grass being green or water being wet.
If they aren't working out for you then don't work with them. But they are working out for many businesses in America in a time where talented people in the field are hard to find. You can't deny facts.

Again, talking about legitimate hires... not the ones related to fraud as in the OP.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If they aren't working out for you then don't work with them. But they are working out for many businesses in America in a time where talented people in the field are hard to find. You can't deny facts.
Neither can you. Their incompetence is not a secret. They "work out" for companies because they're cheap and compliant. Nothing more.

I personally don't have a choice to not work with them. They're like a fungus...they're everywhere.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Neither can you. Their incompetence is not a secret. They "work out" for companies because they're cheap and compliant. Nothing more.
As evidence shows, they get paid very well. In the case of the company you provided as an example, Google, the same amount as their American counterparts. So you don't really have a point.

And as we know, huge software companies like Adobe and Microsoft have been using them for years to make solid software.

I don't even have skin in this game, but I can see right through you. You come off as one of those disgruntled employees that can't move out of .NET and/or SQL while others come in and do the advanced stuff.
Quote:

I personally don't have a choice to not work with them. They're like a fungus...they're everywhere.
And the true personality comes out....

Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
As evidence shows, they get paid very well. In the case of the company you provided as an example, Google, the same amount as their American counterparts. So you don't really have a point.

And as we know, huge software companies like Adobe and Microsoft have been using them for years to make solid software.

I don't even have skin in this game, but I can see right through you. You come off as one of those disgruntled employees that can't move out of .NET and/or SQL while others come in and do the advanced stuff.

And the true personality comes out....
LOL, none of the H1Bs around here are doing advanced stuff. I practically have to do their jobs for them.

I don't care if you agree with me.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
LOL, none of the H1Bs around here are doing advanced stuff. I practically have to do their jobs for them.

I don't care if you agree with me.
Perhaps if you didn't require them to pass machine learning compiling tests to demonstrate competency (as mentioned in a previous post) to do your less advanced work, you would have a better match. This is representative of your own hiring ability.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. Just presenting facts. Your need to deny facts may play a part in why you find yourself surrounded by "fungus"...as you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment