Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:35 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,858,607 times

Advertisements

There is a senior manager at work who consistently ignores people's emails and other attempts to reach out to him. It's not that there's a delay in his response, he simply doesn't respond at all. His approval is required on many matters that affect multiple departments throughout the company, and he will ignore even urgent requests. He also tries to then "pass the buck" by calling others out on some minor mistake they made, presumably to distract from the focus of his own bad behavior.

He is a busy person, but not so much busier than anyone else at his level, and no one else behaves like this. I also don't think he's clueless, I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I get the sense that he enjoys having people chase him around for his approval on something, acting like he's so "above" them that they're not even worth acknowledging.

I also can't imagine that someone at his level behaving like this will last very long. Beyond the rudeness, his behavior is simply bad for the business.

Has anyone ever dealt with someone like this or seen this kind of behavior in the workplace? Do you just let this type of person dig their own grave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 01:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,837,883 times
Yes our old VP was like this, he didn’t last long.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:20 PM

6,501 posts, read 9,895,280 times
If it affects your job then CC some other managers on every email. That at least CYA in the future if that ignoring continues.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,026,611 times
Seems to happen a lot these days. Amazes me how long Uninvolved Managers last nowadays. I swear most of them do nothing all day except sit in "conferences" doing little to no work or knocking off early and spend 80 percent of the day just chit-chatting with people and there is never any fix to the issue even though its clear as day to most people.

Im always wondering where the hell are their bosses? Don't even of them SEE this? Its glaring in simple things like dropping operational numbers, High turnover, Low Morale etc. The proof is generally in the numbers.

There are ALOT Of managers out there that last much longer than they should and generally the company doesn't make a move on it before the damage has been done and its too late. You can stop the bleeding early but once it bleeds out, forget its. Its dead

Old 11-25-2017, 03:20 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,295,329 times
If he's not your boss:

Go to work. Work. Go home. Repeat daily.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:13 PM

29,559 posts, read 22,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If it affects your job then CC some other managers on every email. That at least CYA in the future if that ignoring continues.
Yeah don't people do this anyways these days?

I get it that you're trying to be professional here, but I've come across people that never answered emails from me, that responded once a whole other group of people were CC'd in the email.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:11 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,235,815 times
Oh yes. In fact one who made it a known policy that he refused to sign or approve anything for at least 24 hours after he received it (by which he meant his secretary received it, printed it out, and put it in a nice little folder with a sticky saying "sign here). And by the way, our official system required an electronic signature so he had to read the email and e-sign anyway. He just refused to read the email until he had the paper copy.

The 24 hours weren't so he could review and ask questions. And he wasn't some older technophobe who wanted paper to avoid e-sig. He was actually quite a bit younger than most of us. He made no bones about the fact he was using both the 24 hours and the paper wet signature to demonstrate his authority and show that he had the power to make people wait.

We actually lost customers who got tired of waiting on his signature. Yet management did nothing about him.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,464,600 times
I think it's a sign of disrespect to ignore emails from people.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,136,857 times
In 2017, emails are going the way of facsimiles. Sure, email is the best way to pass on certain types of information, but an email requires a followup via SMS, Slack, etc. if you are waiting for a response. Would you send a fax and not follow up?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 PM

13,305 posts, read 8,552,227 times
Control issue.
Pity that as a mngr/boss,controlling others is an assumed task. It's not. A good leader,guides,and demonstrates healthy communication.
I've worked with over zealous email boss's,to the 'let em suffer style. Extremes only teach where the line of insanity resides.

I'd probably leave voicemails to say hey! Left some emails care to respond?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment