Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,491,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
This is the problem. Email is not for approvals.
Genuine question... how are approvals handled where you're at? It may not be the official means for approval, but it gets the ball rolling in many of the places I've been at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 03:54 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,491,629 times
Quote:
Can you give me an example of a situation that uses email as a paper trail?
Email puts requests, assignments, details, and orders into writing, and keeps a record of them. This as opposed to just telling someone in person, where if there's ever any question or discrepancy, it can turn into a "your word vs. my word" type issue.
One tip an senior employee told me was email the person you're waiting up on, and CC all the rest of the people involved... coworkers on that project, your and that person's direct manager/lead... this shows that you've completed your part of any task or deliverable and that you're waiting on the efforts on someone else. They're also time/date stamped to show that you've done so in a timely manner.
A suggestion on C-D in response to a poster who claimed his supervisor always "reneg" or otherwise give incorrect instructions was to commit those requests to writing (if not email, then some other means). That way, if that user's supervisor gets in his face about doing something wrong, he can just bring up that document/email and point out to say "nope, you specified these parameters/dates/budget/whatever"

Old 11-26-2017, 04:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,851,774 times
Quote:
It is in my company. All companies are not the same.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,133,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Genuine question... how are approvals handled where you're at? It may not be the official means for approval, but it gets the ball rolling in many of the places I've been at.
Depends on the context. If it's a resource related request, it goes through an HR or Facilities system. If it's a project related request, it goes through a project management/tracking system. That way there are dashboards for everyone involved to keep track and know when they need to act... rather than stuff getting lost in email.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Um, most court systems use email for receipt of court documents. It’s official these days, whether you like it or not. If you file something through a court system, it will then go to the recipients’ email addresses. It doesn’t go via SMS or some other instant message document. If a judge needs to email parties, he or she does not send an SMS or instant message document.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:47 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,139,031 times
Quote:
Email is for a lot of things if that's what the business uses it for. Not everyone manages their processes the way you do where you work.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:48 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,648,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
There is a senior manager at work who consistently ignores people's emails and other attempts to reach out to him. It's not that there's a delay in his response, he simply doesn't respond at all. His approval is required on many matters that affect multiple departments throughout the company, and he will ignore even urgent requests. He also tries to then "pass the buck" by calling others out on some minor mistake they made, presumably to distract from the focus of his own bad behavior.

He is a busy person, but not so much busier than anyone else at his level, and no one else behaves like this. I also don't think he's clueless, I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I get the sense that he enjoys having people chase him around for his approval on something, acting like he's so "above" them that they're not even worth acknowledging.

I also can't imagine that someone at his level behaving like this will last very long. Beyond the rudeness, his behavior is simply bad for the business.

Has anyone ever dealt with someone like this or seen this kind of behavior in the workplace? Do you just let this type of person dig their own grave?
Talk to him one on one. Be very polite and let him know he needs to answer his emails. If you don't want to talk to him one on one, then report him to his boss and let him handle it. If you don't want to talk to him or report him to his boss, the only thing left to do is simply accept the fact he doesn't answer his emails and learn to live with it and don't complain about it.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,938,318 times
Do you report to this senior manager?

Do you have a reason to email him? That would be odd.

So basically his behavior doesn't have any immediate impact on you and perhaps people are just gossiping to you about him. How do you even know the content of these oh-so-urgent emails?

It sounds like your company needs a quality management PROCESS if ONE PERSON is capable of essentially bringing all business to a halt - the way you describe it.

OR he's just getting a crap-ton of bogus nonsense emails trying to work AROUND an existing process.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:37 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,139,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

So basically his behavior doesn't have any immediate impact on you and perhaps people are just gossiping to you about him. How do you even know the content of these oh-so-urgent emails?

It sounds like your company needs a quality management PROCESS if ONE PERSON is capable of essentially bringing all business to a halt - the way you describe it.

OR he's just getting a crap-ton of bogus nonsense emails trying to work AROUND an existing process.
I don't have a problem believing the OP because we have the same issues where I work (as noted up thread). And yes, often one person can bollox things up if they have approval authority that you have to go through. If you haven't lived it, count your blessings.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:21 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Read my post above. I do have a reason to email him and it isn't odd at all that I have to email him to obtain approvals. You've assumed a whole scenario that isn't actually happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment