Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,563,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
A lot of how this should be handled depends on the cause. If it is a medical issue the person cannot help, the only solution would be to fire them, which is not only horrible, but probably illegal.
I don't think stinkery is a protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,684,075 times
I echo those who said this is your immediate supervisor's job to address.

I don't like the idea of the passive-aggressive notes with soaps or deodorants left on his desk.

I dealt with a woman in the cubicle next to mine a few years ago, and the odor turned out to be her shoes. She really had no idea that they smelled so bad. I made myself a spray bottle with some essential oil and water, and would spray a little at my desk when it got bad. You have to be careful there too, as some people are sensitive to those odors as well (perfumes used to be fine for me, but as I got older, now they give me an instant headache on one side.)

Maybe we all need our own bubble around our heads.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:10 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,175,295 times
just leave an anonymous note, "people say you smell bad, please re evaluate your BO for your reputation".

I had a boss, fat guy. He would wear 2 suits for the entire week, and the same shoes and nylon socks, put away under his desk. the smell of shoe leather and fungus feet where bad enough. He would come to work smelling like dove, but by lunchtime, smelled like a pigeon coop.

In reality, because of his weight, those extra crevices let off that distinct "cheesy smell". All that steam from around his color and groin, could peel paint off the walls! I am not a skinny dude myself, but I pulled my boss aside, and had a nice talk with him. It was a weird conversation, but I was very frank with him. "hey boss, you smell like swamp butt" everyone is talking. we care about you. If Uncle Buck had a body odor, he would smell like you!

He did get the picture, and was appreciative about it. From that day on , he kept extra undies at work, stayed away from nylon socks, and kept some baby wipes at his desk.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,752,088 times
What you don't understand is it is a strategy for those folks. "Leave me alone" strategy. And it works! I don't bother the guys. I make sure I have a buffer of clean air inhaled and walk fast to get past the area.

I talked to HR manager. Nothing happened except manager apologizes for him.

I talked to his buddy to tell him to use anti-perspirant. His buddy asked me, "what's an anti-perspirant?"

Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM

407 posts, read 371,954 times
OP - you might check this site out. The article has some helpful hints on how to deal with this issue. There are also links to other letters that are similar. She is spot on with a lot of her advice.

how to talk to an employee about body odor

Old 12-08-2017, 01:25 PM

9,493 posts, read 8,486,494 times
Can I just repeat this for the 10,000th time here??

THANK GOD I WORK FROM HOME!

Old 12-08-2017, 01:36 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,616,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I don't think stinkery is a protected class.
If there is an underlying medical issue causing it, it might be.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:43 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,077,671 times
When I was in the army a roommate had stinky feet. Another roommate put foot powder on his bunk when he was out & that did the trick.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:11 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
Send out a company email and post signs that say please practice good hygiene.

And use a picture like this on it
This sort of "roping in" email/message/memo may not work. Sometimes, the recipient(s) it's intended for STILL misses the point!

Old 12-08-2017, 03:30 PM

50,475 posts, read 64,345,951 times
It might not be possible for him to not smell. I worked with a very nice man, who was also a guidance counselor at a high school, he had a wife and kids. He wasn’t clueless. He smelled like a pig farm most saturdays when he worked with us. To my knowledge, nobody said anything to him, but surely he would have corrected it if he could have.

I have since heard of a few people who have a condition, which I think can be helped by avoiding certain foods, that makes them smell bad even when they are clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment