Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,081,096 times

Advertisements

many years ago I worked in a scientific research facility and they would get research fellows and scientists from parts of the world where daily bathing/deodorant was unheard of. They were always spoken to right away if there was a problem.

Nowadays I volunteer at a social service agency and there are a few clients with bad odor (of the unchanged underwear type). I always seem to get one of them when he comes in for his monthly visit. He is a nice guy but.... I may have to resort to Vick's on the upper lip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 02:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,641,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
when I was very young, a coworker gently told me I needed to use deodorant (she said, "You smell loud!")
while it was embarrassing, it was a good thing, and I've smelled better ever since. So thanks to her!
Why didn’t you already know that you needed to use deodorant?

Old 12-09-2017, 02:44 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,862,936 times
I've noticed that older people seem to ALWAYS smell like mildew and mothballs, no matter how much they shower. Younger people smell like sweat and menses. both are equally as gross.. People smell in general, all animals do, and being cooped up in an office youre gonna smell other people.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm the exact polar opposite. If I have anything going on....booger hanging out of my nose, toothpaste on my beard, ketchup stain on my shirt.......I want someone to please tell me so I can fix it and not walk around clueless like that until I happen to check a mirror.
Understandable, but those things are different than telling someone that they smell bad. Maybe I’m just lucky but I rarely encounter smelly people. There is one girl at work who smells a bit garlicky sometimes but I would never say anything about it because she’s brilliant and she’s a great coworker so I don’t care that she smells.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,634,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Why don't you just pull him aside in a private place and TELL him what the issue has been.Maybe he's not aware of the smell.If you care about him..you will pull him aside and tell him gently.Period.How hard would that be to do??
I knew a friend who everytime we would talk..I would smell this horrible smell.I wasn't sure where it was coming from BUT I knew it was coming from him.Then I finally figured out the smell...it was coming from his feet! I told him gently about it.He had no clue! You wouldn't be mean in telling the person.You would just be a good friend.
This x10!

Truly...people will go nose blind to an odor if they're around it long enough. Just ask a smoker if they can smell that they smell like smoke. Most can't...and that's a strong odor.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,374,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Why didn’t you already know that you needed to use deodorant?
I know a few people who don't wear deodorant because they don't have to---they don't have BO.

But I think those that might not but should: (a) don't care or (b) don't smell it, either because the can't or they have adjusted to it.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:55 AM

7,467 posts, read 4,721,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can I just repeat this for the 10,000th time here??

THANK GOD I WORK FROM HOME!
Yeah but if your spouse or home member is one of those, what do you do?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:26 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Yeah but if your spouse or home member is one of those, what do you do?
I dated and eventually lived with a girl way back when who had horrible BO. 10/10 on the looks scale, probably could have been a model if she chose that path. She would get out of the shower and towel off and I'd go into the bathroom and the entire room would wreak of BO because the towel she used to dry off smelled like BO....yes, it was that bad. It was a tough conversation but I HAD to tell her and we changed her deodorant to a deodorant/antipersperant mix and changed brands and it helped tremendously.

I can understand people not wanting to confront the guy. It was a very awkward conversation for me and I lived with the girl. That's why I'd simply write a nicely written anonymous note to the guy and tell him in a very gentle way that he is emitting an odor that other people can smell. I'm sure it would be tough for him to read that but probably easier than being confronted in person. I mean, that could make someone lash or, cry or really react poorly. Tough call either way.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times
As a staff level employee, maybe a quick mention to your manager about the problem affecting your ability to work. I wouldn't even mention it in most cases.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I know a few people who don't wear deodorant because they don't have to---they don't have BO.

But I think those that might not but should: (a) don't care or (b) don't smell it, either because the can't or they have adjusted to it.
I guess these people don't sweat? You can tell when your armpits are sweaty even if you don't smell anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment