Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

We have a coworker who let's just say has a distinct aroma.

1) He is a very very nice guy. late 50's
2) great coworker always willing to help and very knowledgeable .
3) no one wants him to get into trouble. we like him
4) lol, I only work with him once a week so I just hold my nose.

any suggestions to gently address the problem.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

TIA

Why don't you just pull him aside in a private place and TELL him what the issue has been.Maybe he's not aware of the smell.If you care about him..you will pull him aside and tell him gently.Period.How hard would that be to do??
I knew a friend who everytime we would talk..I would smell this horrible smell.I wasn't sure where it was coming from BUT I knew it was coming from him.Then I finally figured out the smell...it was coming from his feet! I told him gently about it.He had no clue! You wouldn't be mean in telling the person.You would just be a good friend.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
BO, bad breath, or? The remedy will be dependent on the type of odor.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Send out a company email and post signs that say please practice good hygiene.

And use a picture like this on it

Old 12-07-2017, 09:24 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Sounds like a job for management to handle. Address the issue to the appropriate manager and let him/her deal with it.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM

881 posts, read 615,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Why don't you just pull him aside in a private place and TELL him what the issue has been.Maybe he's not aware of the smell.If you care about him..you will pull him aside and tell him gently.Period.How hard would that be to do??
I knew a friend who everytime we would talk..I would smell this horrible smell.I wasn't sure where it was coming from BUT I knew it was coming from him.Then I finally figured out the smell...it was coming from his feet! I told him gently about it.He had no clue! You wouldn't be mean in telling the person.You would just be a good friend.
Sounds logical -- as befits a "coder"...but human psychology is often such that "bad associations" "attach" to "whistle-blowers"...like, for example, everyone would probably say that they would like to know if their Significant Other is cheating on them...yet, what would you think of someone who one day told you just that (someone otherwise reliable, respectable, etc.)...even if true, you would have a "bad association" of that person now (the way smokers who have quit are said to get urges when in an environment psychologically tied to [associated with] smoking, whatever that is for them)....

Remember, people tend to shoot the messenger!

Old 12-07-2017, 09:50 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Sounds logical -- as befits a "coder"...but human psychology is often such that "bad associations" "attach" to "whistle-blowers"...like, for example, everyone would probably say that they would like to know if their Significant Other is cheating on them...yet, what would you think of someone who one day told you just that (someone otherwise reliable, respectable, etc.)...even if true, you would have a "bad association" of that person now (the way smokers who have quit are said to get urges when in an environment psychologically tied to [associated with] smoking, whatever that is for them)....

Remember, people tend to shoot the messenger!
so you rather her leave a bar of soap with a card saying happy christmas, use the soap, on the desk?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I once worked with a girl who wore her hair in tight braids but didn't wash her hair often enough and we could smell her coming a block away. Several of us went to the manager to get her use shampoo. However, some managers don't want to tackle the issue and will just tell you to live with it. Do not eat anything they bring to a Christmas pot luck!

Leaving soap, shampoo, laundry soap, or deodorant on her desk was really not that bad an idea as some people just think others want to smell them.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Leaving soap, shampoo, laundry soap, or deodorant on her desk was really not that bad an idea as some people just think others want to smell them.
leave it on everyone's desk so no one can say it was bullying

and hey, some of those scented soap are nice gifts

Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

TIA

Interesting. I could post the exact same thing---except he's in his 20s and I work with him more than once a week. Some days he is smellier than others. For this coworker, it's BO and not from the armpits. He's a very big guy and obviously doesn't have the greatest hygiene habits. The chair he sits in actually smells awhile AFTER he leaves and we all need to share chairs.

I did actually talk to my boss about it, since she also smells it, because my husband often tells me I lack tact and sometimes come off as mean so I don't want to approach the coworker. I have addressed my coworker about other gross habits and other crap he does but I'm passing the baton to someone else on this. Yesterday it smelled SO bad and unfortunately, I have the nose of a dog so I smell everything and everything comes off very potent to me. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what others say.

One place I was previously interning at had a coworker who had an odor problem. HR eventually addressed the problem since they already had something in place on the best way to deal with it. Perhaps someone can ask HR what the best approach would be without naming names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment