Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times

Advertisements

I had a couple of phone interviews last week (one with a recruiter, the other with the hiring manager) that seemingly went very well. There seemed to be a significant amount of interest from both sides. They also asked five of my references to complete a questionnaire about me. After the phone interview with the hiring manager, she asked me if I could come in the following week (this coming Thursday) for an in-person interview with her staff and director. She said she'd send me a follow-up email later that day with interview location details and the job description for my reference. I said, "Great, thank you!" and confirmed that I could come in for the interview.

Later that evening, I still had not received an email from her with the details for the in-person interview. I sent a brief thank you note to her via email for her time earlier that day to discuss the position, and to reaffirm my interest in the role. It has been a week since the phone interview, and I still have heard nothing from the hiring manager. I sent her a brief email earlier this afternoon to confirm the date/time of our interview, and to also inquire about the location details which she has yet to provide. It's only been a little over an hour since then, so I'll give it a little more time before I get overly concerned.

If I don't hear from her today, I was going to call tomorrow to try to firm up some of the details. However, does this seem a bit unusual? I hate to say it, but I feel like I'm being "ghosted" by the hiring manager. I realize being busy can get in the way of these more trivial management tasks, but not to the extent of blowing off requests for additional information, particularly if I don't get a response to my email that I sent this afternoon.

What are your thoughts on what to make of this situation? I've never been asked to come in for an interview only to be ignored as the day approaches and I try to request more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 02:31 PM

I'm also wondering if an internal email filter might be marking my emails as spam, since I'm emailing from a public email service provider. I had sent a request to the HR person the day of the phone interviews, and I remember that I didn't hear back from her either. This is a major healthcare provider where PHI and phishing are big security concerns. Hmmm, maybe this might be what's happening?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I'm also wondering if an internal email filter might be marking my emails as spam, since I'm emailing from a public email service provider. I had sent a request to the HR person the day of the phone interviews, and I remember that I didn't hear back from her either. This is a major healthcare provider where PHI and phishing are big security concerns. Hmmm, maybe this might be what's happening?
That is a possibility. Be sure to keep checking your spam folder. Perhaps you could call by phone to verify that they have not been sending you emails. If they have not, forget them and move on. They are not worth your while.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:18 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,945,057 times
well, i would certainly try calling. The hard thing about interviewing at this time of year is, well- people are out of the office a lot (and sometimes unexpectedly)

If the office location is a distance from you, i certainly wouldn't count on there being an interview on Thursday if you hear nothing by tomorrow. But seriously, just pick up the phone. It could certainly be that something else happened- an assistant was supposed to give you the details and forgot, a message is in "draft" and forgotten- you never know! this is a hectic time of year for most- and i'm always surprised when hiring managers even start a interview process during this window.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:30 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I would call. They led you to believe they would follow up shortly, and they should honor that.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Delays happen, especially around the holidays. Sometimes significant delays. If you've already followed up, be patient.

If you really were a top candidate, they won't forget about you.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
I had a couple of phone interviews last week (one with a recruiter, the other with the hiring manager) that seemingly went very well. There seemed to be a significant amount of interest from both sides. They also asked five of my references to complete a questionnaire about me. After the phone interview with the hiring manager, she asked me if I could come in the following week (this coming Thursday) for an in-person interview with her staff and director. She said she'd send me a follow-up email later that day with interview location details and the job description for my reference. I said, "Great, thank you!" and confirmed that I could come in for the interview.

Later that evening, I still had not received an email from her with the details for the in-person interview. I sent a brief thank you note to her via email for her time earlier that day to discuss the position, and to reaffirm my interest in the role. It has been a week since the phone interview, and I still have heard nothing from the hiring manager. I sent her a brief email earlier this afternoon to confirm the date/time of our interview, and to also inquire about the location details which she has yet to provide. It's only been a little over an hour since then, so I'll give it a little more time before I get overly concerned.

If I don't hear from her today, I was going to call tomorrow to try to firm up some of the details. However, does this seem a bit unusual? I hate to say it, but I feel like I'm being "ghosted" by the hiring manager. I realize being busy can get in the way of these more trivial management tasks, but not to the extent of blowing off requests for additional information, particularly if I don't get a response to my email that I sent this afternoon.

What are your thoughts on what to make of this situation? I've never been asked to come in for an interview only to be ignored as the day approaches and I try to request more info.

Companies do that all the time. I had something like that earlier in the fall with "Company X". I never heard a peep out of those people. I reviewed their interview process on Glassdoor and in reading reviews from others, found that that's basically the way they roll. They had their own internal recruiters and weren't going through an agency. I had to go to their main HQ which was an hour from my house, though that's not the location where I would actually report if I was hired. The interview process itself took several hours. I took an actual day off work to do this. I was pretty pissed that I didn't even hear "no thanks, we went with someone else."

I told myself I'd turn down any further interest from that particular company.

A couple of weeks ago, an external recruiter contacted me about a role that sounded exactly like the one I had interviewed for before. I asked him if the client was Company X. He said yes, so I shared with him that I'd interviewed with them previously and never heard anything back from them. He didn't respond to that. The only reason I shared that with him was to clue him in to what kind of people they are.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just say "no thanks." I need to stop being nice.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 AM

Default Update

So come to find out, the email DID get stuck in the spam filter. My spam filter.

I hardly ever check my spam folder other than to empty it every few weeks, because it's usually littered with phishing emails. Well, it just so happens that her email went directly into it the same day of the phone interview. I think what triggered it is that she posted the job description as some sort of embedded image, and my email spam filtering software must have believed this to be a potential threat. I'm also thinking that their spam filter may be hi-jacking my emails with the lack of response I've received on my inquiries.

At any rate, I have the address and confirmation now, so all is good.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
So come to find out, the email DID get stuck in the spam filter. My spam filter.

I hardly ever check my spam folder other than to empty it every few weeks, because it's usually littered with phishing emails. Well, it just so happens that her email went directly into it the same day of the phone interview. I think what triggered it is that she posted the job description as some sort of embedded image, and my email spam filtering software must have believed this to be a potential threat. I'm also thinking that their spam filter may be hi-jacking my emails with the lack of response I've received on my inquiries.

At any rate, I have the address and confirmation now, so all is good.
Great news! Fingers crossed for you!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Great news! Fingers crossed for you!
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment