Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 PM

994 posts, read 982,290 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about jumping jobs? I'm stuck in a rut and having a hard time find a job that I would feel comfortable with . I never liked the idea of just working somewhere long enough ( weeks to 1-2 months ) just until I found something else . It's not right to the employer and to your well being , in my opinion. I am stuck in a rut with my job search and thinking I will have to consider this option . What have you done in this instance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,611,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
How do you feel about jumping jobs? I'm stuck in a rut and having a hard time find a job that I would feel comfortable with . I never liked the idea of just working somewhere long enough ( weeks to 1-2 months ) just until I found something else . It's not right to the employer and to your well being , in my opinion. I am stuck in a rut with my job search and thinking I will have to consider this option . What have you done in this instance?
Stay at least 1 year in a place. It looks better. If its really bad, you can cut it to 6 months, but thats only if they are not giving enough hours or its a really hostile environment or something. In your case, I'd wait the year.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,164,097 times
It's the week between Christmas and New Year's. Recruiters and hiring managers are on vacation, don't worry about the lack of calls. Keep your head up, get feed back on your resume from friends, change and improve it.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 AM

405 posts, read 576,318 times
I don't think jumping jobs really matters, my friends ex has had 8 jobs in 10 years in 6 states. His is the most extreme case I know but if he can keep getting jobs than employers must not care. You really can't find out the culture and environment, duties, etc..until you're 2 months in.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:08 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,486,349 times
Depends on the corporate culture, the industry norm, and essentially the hiring manager's philosophy.

Having several different jobs every few months might be normal in retail or hospitality or construction. Having a few different jobs (showing upward mobility) over a 5 to 10 year span is pretty normal and expected in the corporate environment these days. Especially early on in your career when you are eagerly climbing the ladder.

If you're in a corporate environment, with the mindset to move up, my advice would be to show growth and experience gained over the years. That's the most important aspect that is measured in my experience. Try to stick it out for 1-2 years, unless it is a terrible environment. God knows there are plenty of them out there.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,645,322 times
Jump every 2 to 4 years....that's what many suggest.
It may be less in industries like tech and advertising, where short tenures are more commonplace

Old 12-27-2017, 01:45 PM

1,104 posts, read 924,789 times
I have job-hopped a lot and would recommend it. In my experience, working next to people uncomfortable in the same company for 5, 10, 20 years, no progression prospects, nothing, was an eye-opener. If you do not trust where you are, be brave enough to keep moving.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:37 AM

234 posts, read 163,154 times
I personally can't stand working the same job for very long or I get burnt out. This is why I like working seasonal jobs that only last 2-3 months at most. Sure, these kinds of jobs pay minimum wage....but I'm okay with that. I don't know how some people work the same 9-5 job for decades. Talk about soul draining.....unless it is something you are passionate about and love doing, then ok.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,586,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
I personally can't stand working the same job for very long or I get burnt out. This is why I like working seasonal jobs that only last 2-3 months at most. Sure, these kinds of jobs pay minimum wage....but I'm okay with that. I don't know how some people work the same 9-5 job for decades. Talk about soul draining.....unless it is something you are passionate about and love doing, then ok.
You are committing yourself to a lifetime of minimum wage jobs with, I assume, no benefits. How do you plan or retiring or covering healthcare? How are you going to feel when you're 65 and your SS is $700 a month?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
It's one thing to start a job, find out it isn't for you, and move on. It's another to never be satisfied and always be looking to jump.

It's called "work" instead of "fun" and people give you money to do it for a reason. You really need to ask yourself what the basic discontent is. If you just don't like working, I've got some bad news for you. Maybe you're in the wrong field, or wrong part of the country. But just endlessly wandering between jobs is not a recipe for any kind of success or happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment