Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,142,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I don't think jumping jobs really matters, my friends ex has had 8 jobs in 10 years in 6 states. His is the most extreme case I know but if he can keep getting jobs than employers must not care. You really can't find out the culture and environment, duties, etc..until you're 2 months in.
8 Jobs in 10 years is not that bad, especially if it is contracting or project based. I know some IT guys that do contract work and change employers every 12 months.

It's a different story for FTE positions though. My former colleague had switched jobs three times after 5-6 months at each permanent FTE position. He couldn't get interviews from anybody for months.

I stuck my neck out for him and made a case to the hiring manager. They only took him, after I vouched for him and he promised to stay for a year. The manager left the company, and the new manager let him go to get their own people.

He was unemployed for a few months. He tried applying at former employers and I vouched for him again. Every one of my friends(managers) said he was a great candidate, but they don't trust him to be there in 6 months. If he left in 6 months, they would be left stuck with a vacancy again.

I have done all that I kind for the fella, but things are not looking up.

Last edited by move4ward; 12-31-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:50 AM

282 posts, read 237,028 times
I'm in a similar boat. This is my first job related to my degree. I've been here half a year and recently a co-worker came back from maternity leave and she's made the environment very hostile. I'm not the only one who talks about how she ******* at everyone for nothing, acts like doing the simplest part of her job is the worst drag on anyone around, and she brings her home drama to work every day (and often comes in late and leaves mid day for it. She's got 4 kids with 3 different fathers and the man she's with now seems to **** her off too). Management shows that they care to resolve it, but realistically she won't change and they won't enforce anything because she "knows how to do her job." Which is a pretty basic position anyway.

That alone wouldn't be so bad, but I went through a temp agency that told me the job pays a certain amount per hour. When the hiring process happened, this got cut by $2/hr. They got it moved back up $.50/hr, but still a loss compared to what I was expecting. I do get profit sharing paid every month (which admittedly is sizable. Around $2/hr). But I have a set schedule of 50hrs/wk. Which isn't so bad, but a quarter of my pay comes from overtime hours. And only when I include all that overtime am I coming around the average for someone in my field and experience. \

Long story short, I'm underpaid and I know it. And I'm getting treated like **** by a coworker I can't stand. But this is my first shot at having experience and at the time I was desperate to just be in my field. Now that I'm looking for work again 6 months in, thanks to this co-worker recently going too far, I have a place that's talking about offering $5/hr more than I'm at now, way better benefits, and the environment I want to be in. And I'm sure after the holidays are over, I can expect to hear from others.

I'm not worried about only being there 6 months. I can quickly mention I'm deeply underpaid and I doubt any reasonable company would disagree for my background.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,340,051 times
I job hop a lot throughout my life....until one day I realize, NO EMPLOYER will ever make me happy. I stopped and started doing my own thing.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 AM

234 posts, read 162,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are committing yourself to a lifetime of minimum wage jobs with, I assume, no benefits. How do you plan or retiring or covering healthcare? How are you going to feel when you're 65 and your SS is $700 a month?
I invest here and there when I can for the future. $700 social security? i'm pretty used to living on less than that a month most of the time, and who's to say SS will be around when I'm 65 and the government won't take it

Old 01-02-2018, 12:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,675,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
8 Jobs in 10 years is not that bad, especially if it is contracting or project based. I know some IT guys that do contract work and change employers every 12 months.
I've known people who have done the same job for years, but every year or so they have a new employer when someone else wins the bid. The new guy goes around and hires all of the people who are there doing the work. It's probably a PITA for them, but when that's the work you know, and the environment is good, and nobody is looking to get rid of you...

Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,675,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
I invest here and there when I can for the future. $700 social security? i'm pretty used to living on less than that a month most of the time, and who's to say SS will be around when I'm 65 and the government won't take it
I love it! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. My retirement planning has always included the notion that the government will summarily end Social Security the day after I retire. Any checks I ever receive from them will be a bonus. That can make for some pretty scary projections of how much I'll need in retirement, but if I fall a little short, I have a pretty good chance that'll be more than made up with even a partial SS check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment