Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,638,082 times

Advertisements

They don’t like law suits which abound with the quick hire
It’s a screening tool
Not everybody that applies is looking for employment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:59 AM

10,936 posts, read 5,781,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No one is expecting a million dollars for work. But they are expecting to be paid accordingly (Especially if they are a true asset to the company) and a livable wage to where they don't have to leech off the government while working full time while the higher ups leech all the money regardless of the company's failure or success.
Employees are expecting the maximum possible for their labor. “paid accordinglinly” has nothing to do with it. Do you really not see that what you posted and what I posted are opposite sides of the same coin?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,824,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I would like to market for an NFL team because football is my passion.
As there are so few NFL teams, the potential job market is small. There may be 500 other graduates that have marketing degrees, applying for each NFL marketing opening. One will get the job, and the other 499 will not find a job in marketing for that NFL team. So what it comes down to, is there are simply way more applicants than jobs in that field.

Too many people take the courses and get degrees in fields with way more applicants than there are jobs. They do not do the research needed, to find fields where there are openings for all graduates.

Look at Marketing fields at this link. https://www.payscale.com/index/US/Job

One thing you need to look at, is that at lower rungs, 2 out of 3 employees are women, to 3 out of 4 are women. This indicates that it is harder for a man to get one of those jobs, just as some fields it is easier for a man to get the job than it is for a woman. At the pay level, it indicates that there are way more applicants than there are jobs.

The degree which is easiest to get a job and the pay starts at 6 figures, is Petroleum Engineer, and anyone with a degree can get a job in the field.

You selected a field, that has more applicants than jobs available, and is gender biased towards women.

You have been out of college for 10 years, with no jobs in the field. You will be considered by most employers, same as they would a potential employee without a degree. Someone without a degree and 3 to 5 years working in the field, would rate above you.

With that analysis of the problems you face, you need to make a plan on how you can convince someone to give you a jot in marketing, to build some experience. Then you have t o prove yourself, to be able to move into a better job. It is a lot easier to get a job in your field, if you are working in the field.

I do know a little about marketing, spending 10 years as a commission salesman in furniture business earning $125,000 plus in today's dollars in 50s and early 60s. 8 years in the corporate world with an old line employer, working as high as division sales manager division sales manager over western half of the country, plus from 1972, being an investment real estate broker till I retired.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:56 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,014,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Employees are expecting the maximum possible for their labor. “paid accordinglinly” has nothing to do with it. Do you really not see that what you posted and what I posted are opposite sides of the same coin?
Maximum possible within reason. I don't think ANY employee would expect a million dollars though in a corporation. Only Execs are making that kind of money and more regardless of success or whether they just completely run a company into the ground (And theres more of those than quality Execs who deserve the pay)

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-29-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 02:05 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,135,103 times
We have to keep in mind that we are in an economy where candidates call the shots.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,269,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We had over 100 interns here this past summer, high school, college, and graduates. They were all paid from $15 (high school) to $25/hour. I worked with several of the high school interns on a couple of projects, and was amazed at their work ethic, level of interest in the work and what they were able to achieve. All were happy to give up their summer to learn skills that could help them in the future, and to get some training in doing resumes and interviews for jobs. The college and graduate interns have been given assignments aligned with their area of study, and again, we have had great results with their work and they have been very enthusiastic. All had to apply and be interviewed, so there were many applicants disappointed, but that in itself is a learning experience since it's real life. I often hear that internships, especially paid are hard to find, but they are out there.
I would have to say that you should keep looking. There are plenty of companies that pay for internships. The company where my wife works has a competitive marketing internship that pays successful applicants while they go through a 1 year internship that relocates them to several locations in the country and graduates can pick from one of the locations for their full time gig.

The company where I work has many paid summer internships for marketing as well as technology.

My Daughter just got accepted to a paid internship in her field of study (not marketing) and they are paying her a housing stipend in addition to a decent hourly wage (less than $20/hr) for the summer.

One caveat for you. In my experience working at over 6 companies over 25 years, Marketing folks are typically the first let go during lay offs.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:41 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,286,519 times
Quote:
Employers would have everyone working for free if it was up to them
And you base this ridiculous statement on which facts?

Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 PM

10,936 posts, read 5,781,856 times
Quote:
Maximum possible within reason. I don't think ANY employee would expect a million dollars though in a corporation. Only Execs are making that kind of money and more regardless of success or whether they just completely run a company into the ground (And theres more of those than quality Execs who deserve the pay)
My post was in response to this:

Quote:
Quote:
Employers would have everyone working for free if it was up to them
My million dollar comment was simply in response to the hyperbole in your post.

The point is that employees want to earn as much as they can get, and employers want to pay as little as possible. There is nothing wrong with either of these positions, and they are simply two sides of the same coin.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I never interned while getting my marketing degree because I had to work full time while going to school so I couldn’t afford to take an internship because most internships don’t pay. Fast forward years later and I still can’t get a marketing job. I have been out of school ten years so now my degree is a waste and I have been trying to figure out how to get out of being UNDERemployed. Most people have to take a paid job while in school so they can’t afford to do an internship. Is it basically pointless to go to school if you can’t intern? It seems like it. Am I wrong?
You don't expect employers to be reasonable and decent do you??

Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,821,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
You don't expect employers to be reasonable and decent do you??

Lol is there such a thing as employers being reasonable and decent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment