Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:00 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,220 times

Advertisements

I never interned while getting my marketing degree because I had to work full time while going to school so I couldn’t afford to take an internship because most internships don’t pay. Fast forward years later and I still can’t get a marketing job. I have been out of school ten years so now my degree is a waste and I have been trying to figure out how to get out of being UNDERemployed. Most people have to take a paid job while in school so they can’t afford to do an internship. Is it basically pointless to go to school if you can’t intern? It seems like it. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Everybody's circumstances are different. If internships don't fit your life, then don't do them. If it can work for you, do them. It's that simple. A successful life can be had either way.

People make things more complicated than they need to be.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Internships, IME are a bridge between school and work. Theoretically, if a person had time for school, they had time for an internship. In hindsight, it would have made sense in the long run to figure out a way to fit in the internship. I know people who have managed to student teach and work weekend jobs at the same time. It can be done. I don't now if your issue is an issue for "most people." If that were the case, no one would be able to get marketing jobs.

Have you tried getting an entry level job with a company that has a marketing department? Start at the bottom, prove yourself then try to move up.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:25 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I never interned while getting my marketing degree because I had to work full time while going to school so I couldn’t afford to take an internship because most internships don’t pay. Fast forward years later and I still can’t get a marketing job. I have been out of school ten years so now my degree is a waste and I have been trying to figure out how to get out of being UNDERemployed. Most people have to take a paid job while in school so they can’t afford to do an internship. Is it basically pointless to go to school if you can’t intern? It seems like it. Am I wrong?
Your logic is a bit flawed. Is it possible that the reason why you're underemployed and not utilizing your marketing degree because you never bridged the gap between schooling and lack of relevant experience? That is exactly what an internship does.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We had over 100 interns here this past summer, high school, college, and graduates. They were all paid from $15 (high school) to $25/hour. I worked with several of the high school interns on a couple of projects, and was amazed at their work ethic, level of interest in the work and what they were able to achieve. All were happy to give up their summer to learn skills that could help them in the future, and to get some training in doing resumes and interviews for jobs. The college and graduate interns have been given assignments aligned with their area of study, and again, we have had great results with their work and they have been very enthusiastic. All had to apply and be interviewed, so there were many applicants disappointed, but that in itself is a learning experience since it's real life. I often hear that internships, especially paid are hard to find, but they are out there.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:06 PM

801 posts, read 547,333 times
BIt sounds like you are grumpy because you never figured out how to use your degree.

You don't NEED to intern to get a job after college but you do need to find a way to get relevant work experience. Interning is just the most common way...

I work with a few people from the marketing dept at my company. Only one of them had an internship. The rest worked in low pay sales (teller, best buy, the mall) while in school. During their interviews, they explained how those skills they picked up there were transferrable to marketing and yea.. now they are making near six figures.

It seems like you were expecting your college degree to be a magic piece of paper that will land you a job without educating yourself outside of school.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
I'm glad that was not the case when I went to school. Many worked paying jobs in the summer, in jobs like retail, factory (there were more of those back then) or even (this being Southern IN) on a farm. And, except for those with a military obligation, all got hired.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:07 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:
Much like myself, you had a skewed conception of the way education/degrees and experience/internships work in the real world.

The intern experience would have meant as much as the degree if you had gotten it. Internships...

1) Teach you what the job will be like so you can see if you will like it.

2) Give you practical experience so companies don't have to train you from scratch.

Both of these things are very valuable to employers.

What you should have done if you could have done it over is worked part time, gone to school part time, and interned part time.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
Employers would have everyone working for free if it was up to them

Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
An internship would help with the first job out of college, but after 10 years, it doesn't matter. At this point experience counts more. So rather than look at internships, can you tell us what you have done job wise and what you would like to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment