Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:13 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
An good way to implement getting rid of bad managers is an overwhelming majority rules of employees voting the idiot off the island.. Something that should be considered. SOMEONE has to do it until its to late to turn the company around and obviously the higher up managers/board of directors can't be trusted in making changes since they either:

1. Don't make the changes at all
2. Don't make the changes until all is lost

Disagree. That may be just popularity.

Objective criteria should be used.

I got rid of 2 managers at a Tn corp having reports, by constantly discussing with their bosses placement fee costs, by reporting manager, in pie chart form.

Over 5 years, they had 3x the % of the white collar headcount we replaced.

They now have different jobs w/o reports, and they will never have reports again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 12:20 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Disagree. That may be just popularity.

Objective criteria should be used.

I got rid of 2 managers at a Tn corp having reports, by constantly discussing with their bosses placement fee costs, by reporting manager, in pie chart form.

Over 5 years, they had 3x the % of the white collar headcount we replaced.

They now have different jobs w/o reports, and they will never have reports again.

Some people just aren't management material.. I know I'm not and am better utilized in a different function and realize that, so that does make sense. But you were proactive about making the changes. Unfortunately, the majority are NOT these days and businesses get ran into the ground due to bad business practices by upper management or operations do due to bad middle management and things could have been years beforehand to eliminate but no action was taken.

People are more reactive these days than proactive. The employees however will know much quicker than the easily exploited , and BS'd upper management team on who needs to be replaced

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-06-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 12:41 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
When I first started in Management my very wise boss told me..

If you need 10 people hire 20, because 5 will quit and there will be 5 more you will fire.

I think it depends on the industry, mine at the time was restaurant management.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
When I first started in Management my very wise boss told me..

If you need 10 people hire 20, because 5 will quit and there will be 5 more you will fire.

I think it depends on the industry, mine at the time was restaurant management.

In a perfect world yes. But generally managers are stuck with a very limited workforce and expected to operate miracles with that skeleton crew especially in poorly ran companies.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:37 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
If a manager has that kind of turnover, then s/he should start looking at himself/herself rather than trying to pick apart what was wrong with the people s/he fired.

People fail in new roles/new companies for all kinds of reasons. In some cases, the culture and the person are a poor fit. A lot of times, the manager does not set out a clear vision of what he wants the new hire to accomplish. Not all managers are good trainers or mentors...and without some orientation or training, the new hire is automatically at a major disadvantage.

Managers sometimes also do not give the new hire feedback on his/her performance. How is s/he supposed to know how s/he is performing?

Some of it is laziness, as well. I've known managers who would rather just let someone go than try to coach them.

Some managers are hard to work with and personality conflicts happen. Office politics.

Managers who are doing a lot of firing need to look at themselves and the system at some point.

Whenever I have an employee who isn't performing, the focus is on fixing it and working with the employee to get to the root cause. I'm not out to actively fire people and as a manager it's my job to make sure that people who work for me are performing.

On those occasions where I have had to let an employee go, I do question what (if anything) could have been done better/differently.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:47 PM

741 posts, read 590,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
On those occasions where I have had to let an employee go, I do question what (if anything) could have been done better/differently.
You’re a rare breed. Very few managers have the self awareness to realize the problem is actually them.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
You’re a rare breed. Very few managers have the self awareness to realize the problem is actually them.
People, in general, have a difficult time accepting responsibility. If there is blame to go around, much should be attributed to our fragile egos.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I am a big fan, btw, of if you hired badly repeatedly, you should lose the authority to make hiring decisions.

You have demonstrated you are inept, repeatedly, at the task.
In this case, the manager has a small team. There are two titles that report to him. When I left, four people, including myself, reported to this guy.

The other analyst has been with the company for as long as it's been in business. That's the role that has seen all the turnover.

When I left, the other departing staff member (who did not report to my director) said the long-term analyst wouldn't show the other person anything, which was what happened to me, and he was fired for not "catching on." Same thing happened to me and the subsequent guy.

Interestingly enough, the role that is posted is for the role they have not had as much turnover in. If the senior analyst is going to be so territorial and if they're not going to do anything about that, don't even hire for an assistant to her and hire elsewhere.

Obviously the manager doesn't care at this point.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
I worked for a small agency within a bigger organization that had a massive turnover rate. What management told themselves, and everyone else who would listen, was that their agency was special, and that only the best could handle it.

In reality it was because the top guy is a spineless weenie who lets bullies one level below him create the most toxic work environment I've ever seen. I mean - shouting and swearing at each other, scapegoating, mean pranks, "telling" on each other, I was even photographed and had those sent to the bosses alleging I was doing things incorrectly (I was cleared, and the practice stopped). There was even an investigation done by the big organization's respectful workplace team that said it was the most toxic workplace they'd ever seen as well. But the big org's bosses don't care, because the agency makes a profit. So it continues, I hear from old coworkers. I quit a couple of years ago, after realizing that nothing would change because management continues to be so arrogant as to blame everyone else.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:29 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I worked for a small agency within a bigger organization that had a massive turnover rate. What management told themselves, and everyone else who would listen, was that their agency was special, and that only the best could handle it.
Ha. Wrong - try again. Usually the "best" leave those types of environments because they have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment