Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,980,015 times

Advertisements

I wa reflecting on this post based on my own experience. I am on my way out indirectly due to a bad manager. Tgere is a theme on the team I am leaving, after about 2 years everyone has left tbe team. The team is about 3 years old at this point. The first hire left at year 2. The secknd hire was an internal transfer, stuck around for about 2 years and transferred into a more senior role on her old team. The 3rd hire is leaving after 2.5 years for an opportunity more inline with his interests after trying to create that role at the company but getting blocked because no one had his knowledge.

I am the 4th and after 2 years my niss had no idea how to get me promoted, he hasn't been promoted and tge career path in my team is a dead end. There are other politics too. At the end of the day, I was more experienced than my manager, he didn't want to jump in the ring with the politics and he didn't know how to get in the ring to advocate for me. The only logical job for me in the company in the shirt term was his job - obviously not an option. I sent clues all this year so he wasn't that surprised Inam leaving, but there was plenty of time for him to do something. I was willing to stick around if I could find a path, but there was no path. And he left it in my hands. He is also so far from the decision making he wouldn't even hear about oppotuniities.

So he pulls me aside today to ask me to "be careful" about what I tell people about me leaving, particularly our team (there are 2 newer hires left) because he is worried about morale. And thate might look bad with hald of his team leaving in short succession (me and are 3 leaving this month). I agreed but thought to myself, anyone who has been around could put 2 and 2 together.

I do like my boss, he just wasn't the right boss for my current career phase. I am thinking about a way to leave him some candid advice on my way out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment