Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 PM

1,149 posts, read 933,810 times

Advertisements

So glad I do not have that at my job. There is not even an attendance policy. It is up to manger's discretion. Mine is awesome, although, we do have the option to work from home when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:48 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Get up early and call Uber. Let them drive in the bad weather.
My son tried to do that today. There were no Uber or Lyft drivers on the road.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 AM

199 posts, read 165,851 times
If a manager is so incompetent that he has to rely on a silly point system for tardiness, he should be fired.

Treating everyone like kindergartners is incredibly demotivational.

Whatever happened to simply talking to someone with chronic punctuality issues?

"Hey Bob, I see you've been running late for the past few days. You need to stop or I may have to fire you" is how a good manager would handle it.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 AM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filochica View Post
I had posted in a previous thread quite awhile back about an attendance points system at my office. Basically, any time an employee comes in late or has an unscheduled absence (due to illness, etc.) points accumulate. After a certain # of points, you get a written warning and progressive discipline. The problem is that with all the icy/snowy winter weather, there have already been times where I've arrived late due to the road conditions. I am a wreck b/c there is some upcoming bad weather for next week and if I don't go in, I will get a written warning b/c if I don't I will accumulate more points and at that time I will have the # needed for disciplinary action. What are everyone's thoughts? I don't want to get a written warning but also don't want to be driving in icy conditions. I think it's so unfair to get points for something like that and I just don't know what to do. The only reason I've had an unplanned absence or late arrival is b/c of the bad weather. I have never had an unplanned absence otherwise and have excellent attendance. What's frustrating is that I have plenty of PTO accumulated to use in these instances yet I'm still being penalized.

The thing that is really upsetting is that the points don't apply to management. My manager has been out nearly once every week for the past few months and I'm sure she's not getting points or she would have been terminated.

put in a vacation day , the day before the bad weather comes.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

But the first 30 posts mentions to not worry about what others are doing, worry about yourself.
Now, considering what others' attendance are like is back on the table?
Not so much care about what others are doing. My thoughts are that if people can make it to work on time why can't everyone else make it to work on time. I would bet if you looked at the number of people at a given place of work the majority have found a way to get to work on time. A minority comes in to work early. An even smaller number come in over a half hour early. More than likely the half hour early people will stay later as well. I am thinking on average 5% of people are repeat offenders for any one thing, including coming to work late.

My wife is a "just on time" kind of person. She needs 15 minutes to get to work and leaves exactly at 15 minutes prior to starting work. She had been late before as well. You can not anticipate everything when you are a "just on time" kind of employee. It is my theory that you can make mistakes on your way to work if you do not give yourself time to get to work.

Where I work we have people that are late to work often and I have never understood that. If you are late to work one time then you know you need to leave early. What trips me out is these women that apply makeup on the freeway. I have no idea how they can drive while looking into the mirror. Was this a random idea, that they needed makeup? I would think that if you wear makeup you would prefer to take the time at home to apply it before getting into the car.

I don't care what others do. I only want to know the numbers for how many can get to work on time.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
The other day I tried to leave for work early (gave myself an extra half an hour) and there was no storm, no nothing, and I still got to work late. I was SO mad. But the trains were so out of whack and one of the trains I was on just stopped in the middle of the tunnel because of "massive signal problems." Nothing I can do, but I find that employers around here are a little more understanding of delays due to the MTA.

Here's the thing---if I help out my employer, there is no reason he shouldn't help me out. For example, I was late that Saturday but I also never got a lunch break AT ALL because I was working ALONE which I shouldn't be doing anyway. So, let him take that "late time" and apply it to my "lunch" that I never got because I am an hourly employee anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
4wd, all season tires, drive slower. Those are the choices. The state doesn't close down Everytime due to weather. Very few occasions that I can remember everything being covered in ice during rush hour. Do you picture police, ambulance drivers, doctor's, hospital workers, snow plow drivers....everyone standing next to their window too scared to go out until it warms up? I live in one of the northern most states, my employer has never "closed up shop" because it's slippery out.
Leave earlier.
Some of those vehicles are adjusted for snow. Actually, I am in health care and also live up north. Within the past few years, I remember them completely shutting down certain roads/highways/whatever after a certain time. This was because in a previous storm, cars had been driving on certain roads that obviously hadn't been getting plowed and then the cars were just getting stuck in the middle of the highway. Obviously this is rare, but in that case, the management has to figure out who is getting mandated to stay and who might come in early. It is unreasonable to expect someone to come in 5+ hours early ahead of a storm for a shift with nothing set-up for them. (Usually hospitals have to set-up some kind of sleeping arrangements.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My coworker was trying to call for car service the other day and everyone told her they had no cars available.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Plus, IIRC, surge pricing is 4x the usual rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not so much care about what others are doing. My thoughts are that if people can make it to work on time why can't everyone else make it to work on time. I would bet if you looked at the number of people at a given place of work the majority have found a way to get to work on time. A minority comes in to work early. An even smaller number come in over a half hour early. More than likely the half hour early people will stay later as well. I am thinking on average 5% of people are repeat offenders for any one thing, including coming to work late.

My wife is a "just on time" kind of person. She needs 15 minutes to get to work and leaves exactly at 15 minutes prior to starting work. She had been late before as well. You can not anticipate everything when you are a "just on time" kind of employee. It is my theory that you can make mistakes on your way to work if you do not give yourself time to get to work.

Where I work we have people that are late to work often and I have never understood that. If you are late to work one time then you know you need to leave early. What trips me out is these women that apply makeup on the freeway. I have no idea how they can drive while looking into the mirror. Was this a random idea, that they needed makeup? I would think that if you wear makeup you would prefer to take the time at home to apply it before getting into the car.

I don't care what others do. I only want to know the numbers for how many can get to work on time.
Then you do care what others are doing. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't say "you shouldn't care what others are doing" and then change your tune further down the thread.

Speaking of which, if your wife still has her job, what do you care? Some of us do have that option.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Can you leave earlier to allow for travel in bad weather? Even if it’s 1-2 hours earlier, you have to adjust your schedule to allow for increased travel time. You still need this job while you’re looking for a better one, so do what you need to do to avoid points. The bad weather won’t last forever. I agree it’s a crappy policy, but management isn’t sympathetic and they aren’t going to change their policies for you or any other employee just because of inclement weather. You need to make adjustments to your schedule during the bad weather season.
This right here.

Until you change jobs, it’s your responsibility to do everything you can to get to work on time. I’ve lived in the Chicagoland area all my life. No stranger to bad weather here. I used to leave early for school to get to class on time. When I held hourly jobs, I had to leave early for work in bad weather. There were very, very rare times of especially bad weather that started just as commutes would begin and management would give an okay if under 30 minutes late.

I remember once I went off into the ditch due to a snow drift (and still being a young driver) and had to get towed out. Ended up over an hour late. They were glad I made it safe, but I still lost the pay time and had it marked as a late show. I was upset about it, but I was actually late, so I just made sure I wasn’t late again... and vowed not to work in that kind of environment against as long as I could help it.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:43 AM

390 posts, read 379,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
So glad I do not have that at my job. There is not even an attendance policy. It is up to manger's discretion. Mine is awesome, although, we do have the option to work from home when needed.
Same here. After reading some of the threads in this forum I am so happy to be where I am. Very lenient as long as you get your work done. We can work from home if necessary. A little late OK as long as the work is done. Leave early OK as long as the work is done. There are lots of times we have to come in early or work late due to work load or impending projects.

Heck a few weeks ago we had tamale and cerveza Friday LOL. No work got done for a couple hours. It's a give and take.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
I did not leave early when I was late. I stayed late. For example, when I came in an hour late, I worked an hour later than usual to make up my time, as approved by HR.
Do you have flex time?

I have worked for a Company with the point system. I like my job, so I do what I have to to keep it. In 17 years I have never been late. I live in the Northeast--so we certainly have weather. I have maybe had 5 points in my entire 17 years.

Quote:
The only reason I've had an unplanned absence or late arrival is b/c of the bad weather. I have never had an unplanned absence otherwise and have excellent attendance.
^ 3 times in 4 weeks attendance issues does not equal excellent attendance.

Plan for the weather. Today I knew it might be icy. I usually leave the house about an hour before I have to start. Today, I left two hours. Last year pending snow storm, it was suppose to start around 4am. I left my house at 2am. weather.gov is my friend, I check it every night and every morning, I plan accordingly. There have been many times I pack an overnight bag and stay closer to work. Unless it is a total Blizzard and the roads are closed, I am expected to be at work on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment