Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,888,498 times

Advertisements

I just got an email: "Ice tonight, be prepared for tomorrow's drive."

I wonder what would happen if I replied: 'No I'll be late, I do what I want.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:14 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,897,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
bingo

My thoughts exactly. If someone wants to be a good employee, they build in extra time for unexpected delays. I am always 15-20 minutes early, regardless of traffic or whatever. But I see people, especially younger employees, either rushing in the door at 1 minute till, or after the hour.

A lot of us have lived in snow country, and we still were able to get to work on time and show up on days when we were scheduled.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:28 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,272,691 times
I worked somewhere that had a point system and I loved it. I would save them so I could call out on a holiday NYE, Christmas etc. If I wanted off.

Anyway OP, you need to plan ahead if you are expecting bad weather.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 PM

94 posts, read 83,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Do you have flex time?

I have worked for a Company with the point system. I like my job, so I do what I have to to keep it. In 17 years I have never been late. I live in the Northeast--so we certainly have weather. I have maybe had 5 points in my entire 17 years.

^ 3 times in 4 weeks attendance issues does not equal excellent attendance.

Plan for the weather. Today I knew it might be icy. I usually leave the house about an hour before I have to start. Today, I left two hours. Last year pending snow storm, it was suppose to start around 4am. I left my house at 2am. weather.gov is my friend, I check it every night and every morning, I plan accordingly. There have been many times I pack an overnight bag and stay closer to work. Unless it is a total Blizzard and the roads are closed, I am expected to be at work on time.
I am saying that prior to the bad weather this winter, my attendance has been excellent...no unplanned absences or late arrivals.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filochica View Post
I am saying that prior to the bad weather this winter, my attendance has been excellent...no unplanned absences or late arrivals.
Keep that up during the winter.

Storms are predicted well. Ask colleagues who arrive, on time, every time, how early they left during the last storm, how early on a non snow day, and emulate their responsible, no doubt giving themselves more time, leaving earlier ways.

Either that, or a warning is around the corner, deservedly.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:11 PM

32,991 posts, read 36,513,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My thoughts exactly. If someone wants to be a good employee, they build in extra time for unexpected delays. I am always 15-20 minutes early, regardless of traffic or whatever. But I see people, especially younger employees, either rushing in the door at 1 minute till, or after the hour.

A lot of us have lived in snow country, and we still were able to get to work on time and show up on days when we were scheduled.
My son started a new job in March and just got a small raise. His manager told him he noticed that he's the only "young" guy who is always on time or early.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:21 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son started a new job in March and just got a small raise. His manager told him he noticed that he's the only "young" guy who is always on time or early.
You raised him well, obviously.

A solid work ethic.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,490,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Snow country has it's pros when dealing with weather. For example, first time a large snowstorm got hit when in the Gurnee/Waukegan area at night, I thought tomorrow morning's going to be rough. Tomorrow morning... ALL major roadways were plowed! Even secondary and tertiary ones too! The mid-Atlantic would be hard pressed to keep up that pace, let alone going further south.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM

204 posts, read 129,743 times
Some of you people posting on here are absurd and I hope I never have the misfortune of ever working for you with your callous disregard for other peoples lives. If you've never had a bad storm shut down your area you're lucky and you have no idea what it's like driving in unsafe conditions when even the local government is telling people to stay home. They do that not only for your safety but also for the safety of emergency workers who have no choice but to go out and save the dumbasses that don't stay off the roads in inclement weather.

I was supposed to go out to a city a few hours from here right when a snow & ice storm was going to kick off just before Christmas. I told the boss I didn't feel safe/comfortable driving one of our crappy vehicles into a storm just to drop off some equipment that was scheduled to be delivered and setup when it could be done any other time when it wasn't a safety hazard. The boss said we're going to err on the side of safety and to stay home. I then offered to drive into the local office - since I could safely get to the office in my personal vehicle - to do whatever might need to be done and he again said 'No. Stay home and be safe.' That's how you should run a business and keep employees, by looking out for them.

You nutjobs saying 'work over safety' are out of your minds. Advocating that people risk their lives for a paycheck no matter what. Good grief some of you need to get over yourselves.

And if your only retort is to say you'd never hire me, thanks! And please give your company names so I'll know to never apply with you regardless since I'd never want to work with, or for you, in any event since you don't care if people might die just because you want them to "be on time" real world conditions be damned. Unbelievable.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
If a manager is so incompetent that he has to rely on a silly point system for tardiness, he should be fired.

Treating everyone like kindergartners is incredibly demotivational.

Whatever happened to simply talking to someone with chronic punctuality issues?

"Hey Bob, I see you've been running late for the past few days. You need to stop or I may have to fire you" is how a good manager would handle it.
Exactly, maybe not as blunt as this but you aren't that wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment