Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 AM

86 posts, read 105,970 times

Advertisements

So I left work today and around 8 p.m., I checked my work phone and had a meeting invite from my boss' boss and his boss with an HR manager asking me to come to a mandatory meeting tomorrow morning. I started this job last April and haven't even hit my 12 month mark.

Am I getting let go tomorrow morning? What can I do to prepare myself to conduct in a calm / professional manner?

Some tidbits:
- Started last year
- Offer that I got was for a position at a corp level
- 6 months into the job, I had a 'check-in' meeting with my boss's boss
- He told me that my technical skills were not what they expected at the Senior Level (Mind you - My job offer and the job description never mentioned anything about Senior)
- Secondly I did not lie about my experience or my educational background
- Was asked to make a presentation at a team building activity
- After the presentation, my boss took me 1-1 and explained exactly the same thing
- A week later, I received a 'coaching' agreement with action items for both my boss and I (Only my action item had a deadline) - Asked if this is the 'if I don't meet it I'm fired document?' - Answer was NO. It's not that and was told we aren't at that position yet.
- Worked my tail off studying, reading more papers and trying to gain as much knowledge as I could
- Now received this meeting request out of the blue - and it's marked 'private appointment' in outlook.

Am I basically good as gone tomorrow morning? What can I do to prepare myself to conduct in a calm / professional manner? How can I mention in a professional way that the onus was also on them to ensure it was a good fit.

I really enjoyed my job and the team I worked with and I did everything I could to ensure the success of the team (whether it took long hours or anything). I relocated from another state for this job and I want to get that point across to them. I also want to reiterate the fact that the 'expectations' of the senior role they mentioned wasn't the role originally offered to me (I have the job description & the offer letter saved).

Definitely don't want to burn bridges, but also want to ensure my point is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,862,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post

Am I getting let go tomorrow morning? What can I do to prepare myself to conduct in a calm / professional manner?

... I received a 'coaching' agreement with action items for both my boss and I (Only my action item had a deadline) - Asked if this is the 'if I don't meet it I'm fired document?' - Answer was NO. It's not that and was told we aren't at that position yet.
If the coaching you received did not appear to have an impact or demonstrate that you were capable of improving, it sounds like you may be getting put on an official PIP. A personal improvement plan has specific goals outlined with attainable measurable success, these usually have a 60-day time suggested with a midway progress check and ending date.

The human resources dept gets involved to make sure you are being treated fairly, actually, it can be a good thing. It sounds like you have been given opportunities to prove your worth. After the initial talks and coaching, it would have been a good idea to check back yourself, to inquire on your progress or how to improve if you are not.

You may still have a chance to prove yourself, there isn't any reason to NOT be calm and professional, this really is coming as no surprise, sometimes the job we wanted isn't the right fit. We convince our interviewers and self that we can do it, and will learn the ropes, it doesn't work out every time. Even in the worst case scenario, if you were being told you weren't a good fit for the job and they won't need your services anymore, take plenty of notes for UI!

Good Luck

Old 01-24-2017, 05:03 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I am not sure what you mean by saying the onus is on the employer. It's not like they simply drew your name out of a hat. Some hires simply don't work out for a variety of reasons. I don't think they are calling you in to thank you for your work. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:28 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
Look at yourself in a mirror.

Stick a fork in it.

You're done.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
They would not call a meeting to fire you. If that was happening you'd simply be asked to come into an office with no notice and that would be it; otherwise, many employees would sabotage as much as they could. It's likely a PIP plan as someone mentioned above. I do think, however, it's time for you to start looking hard for a new position elsewhere, this doesn't sound like a good fit for either of you.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,940 times
Whatever the outcome of this meeting is fired/improvement plan, it would be best for you to look for opportunities elsewhere. You days are numbered at this company. If this is not your last meeting, it will be coming sooner rather than later.

FYI, they don't care about your relocation, senior vs non-senior level. Bottom line is you have not been cutting it and they are tired of your admitted sub-par performance.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
It sure doesn't sound good. Keep us updated.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM

86 posts, read 105,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Even in the worst case scenario, if you were being told you weren't a good fit for the job and they won't need your services anymore, take plenty of notes for UI!

Good Luck
Excuse my ignorance but what is UI in this context?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
Unemployment Insurance

Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Maybe Unemployment Insurance? I am thinking. Not sure, I have never been where you are going. Sorry to hear if this is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment