Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,825,856 times

Advertisements

All this talk about improving workplace inequality over the years has only accelerated the dependence of contract workers.

I've been consulting for over 10 years now and I honestly can't accept working full-time at any of my clients... They have bought into fixing inequality at the workplace by changing the privileged groups regardless who is productive or valuable... Your future at the job is muddy or expendable if you don't tick some of the checkboxes that companies must tick to show compliance.

I've seen full-time workers frustrated and marginalized by the new ruling priviledge groups..

My line of work as contract consultant work becoming necessary when no capable and devoted employee is left and contingency worker is required to fill the gaps.

The new corporate America is now ruled by ideology not by technology or the most skilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times
Quote:
The new corporate America is now ruled by ideology not by technology or the most skilled.
yes, people grew up with "equality" and to make the work place equal, they have to go for the lowest demoninator instead of encouraging competition

you see that in the education system when they teach for the slowest students instead of moving on without them

they would rather everyone "finish" at the same time, instead of having the top people finish first then moving on to pave the way

Old 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,216,032 times
ho, hum, here we go again....

While this may happen and be tolerated in the public sector, this is very rarely tolerated in the private sector.

Private companies need to be profitable to survive, and they need the best strategies and people to be profitable.

Most private companies realize that diversity brings in new and good ideas, thus have built a strong diverse employee base. But no company (if they will ever expect to survive) will build a diverse base at the expense of knowledge and skills.

If you feel that a private company is catering to the "lowest common denominator" instead of you, I would suggest you really take a hard look at your true value to the company. Again, no company is going to make strategic choices that are not expected to be beneficial to the company.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,825,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
ho, hum, here we go again....

While this may happen and be tolerated in the public sector, this is very rarely tolerated in the private sector.

Private companies need to be profitable to survive, and they need the best strategies and people to be profitable.

Most private companies realize that diversity brings in new and good ideas, thus have built a strong diverse employee base. But no company (if they will ever expect to survive) will build a diverse base at the expense of knowledge and skills.

If you feel that a private company is catering to the "lowest common denominator" instead of you, I would suggest you really take a hard look at your true value to the company. Again, no company is going to make strategic choices that are not expected to be beneficial to the company.
Size, the smaller the company the more agile they need to get things done without headcount increase. The larger the firm the more capital they have and efficiency is not a big deal.

When I consult for a smaller company, there's more accountability for resources and personnel productivity.

At larger firms, I know there's always multiple meetings I have to attend. Usually one that is inclusive that includes a larger cross section of employees. Then follow up meetings that only includes the main players or key people in the end.

So all the talk about bringing inequality is all nonsense, at the end of the day at the real meeting room and drawing table we are really back to the same meeting that only includes people that gets things done.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,569,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All this talk about improving workplace inequality over the years has only accelerated the dependence of contract workers.

I've been consulting for over 10 years now and I honestly can't accept working full-time at any of my clients... They have bought into fixing inequality at the workplace by changing the privileged groups regardless who is productive or valuable... Your future at the job is muddy or expendable if you don't tick some of the checkboxes that companies must tick to show compliance.

I've seen full-time workers frustrated and marginalized by the new ruling priviledge groups..

My line of work as contract consultant work becoming necessary when no capable and devoted employee is left and contingency worker is required to fill the gaps.

Nothing you wrote makes sense without examples of what you mean. Being a contractor has nothing to do with equality as you put it. Please explain who or what you're talking about. Or are you trotting out the old racist idea that all hires outside of white men are all incompetent? If you're going to start a conversation, don't hide behind coded language. That's cowardly.

Last edited by charlygal; 02-15-2018 at 03:39 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 07:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nothing you wrote makes sense without examples of what you mean. Being a contractor has nothing to do with equality as you put it. Please explain who or what you're talking about. Or are you trotting out the old racist idea that all hires outside of white men are all incompetent? If you're going to start a conversation, don't hide behind coded language. That's cowardly.
IIRC, isn't the OP actually south Asian?

Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
IDK but the question still stands. The OP can just explain who and what they means. Even an Asian person unilaterally denigrating all other Asian people is problematic.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
IDK but the question still stands. The OP can just explain who and what they means. Even an Asian person unilaterally denigrating all other Asian people is problematic.
And yet it happens.

What I see as a white female over 40 in IT is pervasive sexism, ageism, and increasingly discrimination based on national origin (in favor of south Asians primarily from India and against Americans).

Thank God I live in Texas instead of Silicon Valley; I'd probably be homeless by now.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
Quote:
Welp, that's embarrassing.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
And yet it happens.

What I see as a white female over 40 in IT is pervasive sexism, ageism, and increasingly discrimination based on national origin (in favor of south Asians primarily from India and against Americans).

Thank God I live in Texas instead of Silicon Valley; I'd probably be homeless by now.
Our personal stats are similar. Are you saying management is making a conscious decision to not hire white people? Or is there just a decision to hire contractors and the bulk of the employment agency has contractors from Asia? Do you believe you would walk into an interview and be rejected just because you aren't Asian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment