Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,780,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
IIRC, isn't the OP actually south Asian?
I am not.. It doesn't matter because there are South Asians that agrees with me... People who are talented and skilled aren't getting the opportunities while people who are less qualified gets them through affirmative action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I am not.. It doesn't matter because there are South Asians that agrees with me... People who are talented and skilled aren't getting the opportunities while people who are less qualified gets them through affirmative action.
My bad, I thought I remembered you saying you were.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
What criteria are you using to determine who is less talented?Have you seen all of the resumes? Do you know who is being rejected? Are people being critical because of old ideas and perceptions?

I've worked many years and I've seen a ton of untalented white people. There are threads started here on CD everyday about bad managers and coworkers. Surely, all the allegedly poor workers and managers in the world are not all people of color or women.

What you're saying is that NO person of color or women can be talented. That's simply not true.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Welp, that's embarrassing.

Only if I think it is, which I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Our personal stats are similar. Are you saying management is making a conscious decision to not hire white people? Or is there just a decision to hire contractors and the bulk of the employment agency has contractors from Asia? Do you believe you would walk into an interview and be rejected just because you aren't Asian?

I've seen the following scenario happen on IT teams...I've been a part of some of them, an observer of others.

• Manager is not south Asian...could be either gender and any other race/nationality
  • The team they manage is relatively diverse....about 50% south Asian and 50% everything else
  • Old manager leaves/is promoted and is replaced by a south Asian manager (almost always male and younger than 40)
  • Every single hire under the new manager is south Asian, usually from the same country and even the same region/state of that country, usually male, and usually under 35
  • Team goes 90% south Asian in less than a year through turnover
  • Non-south Asians find themselves shut out of the decision making process for pretty much everything (process, products, standards, etc.)
  • The dominant language of the workplace changes from English to Hindi, Tamil, or Telugu, alienating people who don't speak those languages
  • Said non-south Asians leave the team for greener pastures and are always replaced by more south Asians
  • Team eventually is 100% south Asian, perpetuating the stereotype that there's a skills gap
Rinse and repeat.

I have been interviewed in person & on the phone in situations where it was obvious that I was a "diversity" candidate or that I was being railroaded into appearing "unqualified" by being asked questions that bore no relevance to the position and that people who have been doing this for 20 years would likely have to consult reference materials to answer.

I know that a lot of companies here have relationships with body shop contracting firms whose workforce is almost 100% H1B...and those are the only resumes a hiring manager receives. As you know, many companies do not advertise open positions on Indeed/Dice/LinkedIn/etc...or resumes received via those channels are ignored. I've personally referred people with far more suitable backgrounds for jobs that went to far less qualified individuals...I can only assume because said less qualified individuals had the correct surname or caste.

Discrimination on the basis of age, gender, and national origin is endemic in I.T. All you have to do is open your eyes.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:10 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,061,654 times
Quote:
I think the only places this is the case is in the public sector and in retail. In finance, IT, and the trades not so much to put it lightly

Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,780,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
I think the only places this is the case is in the public sector and in retail. In finance, IT, and the trades not so much to put it lightly
This is somewhat true, in the private sector it takes one or few whistleblower for the firm to be fined for not having diversity. My colleague was joking that a certain race and gender combo is the unicorn in IT, almost all tech firms are looking for this particular race/gender person to check off their checkboxes. Including places like Uber and Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What criteria are you using to determine who is less talented?Have you seen all of the resumes? Do you know who is being rejected? Are people being critical because of old ideas and perceptions?

I've worked many years and I've seen a ton of untalented white people. There are threads started here on CD everyday about bad managers and coworkers. Surely, all the allegedly poor workers and managers in the world are not all people of color or women.

What you're saying is that NO person of color or women can be talented. That's simply not true.
All I'm saying is that today the privileged groups have changed, those older privileged groups still keep their titles but they must now work alongside newer established privileged groups in order to comply with public opinion/perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment