Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:36 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,932,779 times

Advertisements

I'm 36 years old and since I graduated from California State University Northridge in June 2004 my luck with jobs has been horrible. For many many years I have gone to job interviews even for flipping burgers jobs not to get hired. My BA degree is in radio-tv-film.

Most jobs I have had supervisors have bullied me,made fun of me,descriminated against me and even lied to fire me for false reasons that never happened. I have never been hired for a job that isn't a minimum wage job.

It pisses me off that so many you millenials are making Hugh salaries right out of college in their 20s.

I'm lost with my life and don't know what to do for a job. Currently I'm not interested in going back to school at my age.

I live in Seattle,Washington in my own apartment using my savings account to pay rent. I have no credit card debt or car payments.

Currently I have a drivers license but use public transportation to get around and don't own a car.

I hired Washington state DVR which is department of vocational rehabilitation to find me a job. DVR hired me a job coach in August 2017 who hasn't found me a job yet.

At age 36 is it too late to get a carreer job?? I feel that my best bet would be to get a city,county,state or federal job because there is job security and less employment discrimination than in the private sector. Also non profit agencies.

What should I do?

I'm lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM

973 posts, read 917,788 times
To be fair, that field your degree is in is probably not the highest in demand...nor is it a high paying job unless you make it big. The young people making "big money" right out of school are probably computer programmers, data scientists, or some sort of engineer, or maybe got lucky and made it big on Youtube. The economy is also bustling right now so it isn't too hard to find a job, especially if you have an in-demand skill set.

You're not too old to get a career job, but it certainly won't be easy. Seeing as how you can afford to live in Seattle while not having debt nor a decent job shows that you're resourceful and determined. You've been busting your ass, but probably been doing it the wrong way. If you don't want to go back for another degree, I suggest you get some certifications and go work a trade like electrician or plumber. Not glamorous jobs, but it can get pretty lucrative and you'll always be in demand no matter how many jobs get automated in the future.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,265,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
to be fair, that field your degree is in is probably not the highest in demand...nor is it a high paying job unless you make it big. the young people making "big money" right out of school are probably computer programmers, data scientists, or some sort of engineer, or maybe got lucky and made it big on youtube. The economy is also bustling right now so it isn't too hard to find a job, especially if you have an in-demand skill set.

You're not too old to get a career job, but it certainly won't be easy. Seeing as how you can afford to live in seattle while not having debt nor a decent job shows that you're resourceful and determined. You've been busting your ass, but probably been doing it the wrong way. If you don't want to go back for another degree, i suggest you get some certifications and go work a trade like electrician or plumber. Not glamorous jobs, but it can get pretty lucrative and you'll always be in demand no matter how many jobs get automated in the future.
+1.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,731,138 times
When I went to Grad school there were people in my program who just finished undergrad and people who had been in the field for twenty plus years who finally decided it was time to get the higher degree. My point here is, there is no reason why, no matter your age, you should feel like you are too old to begin a new career. I know you said you didn't want to go back to school though.

How much contact do you have with your DVR person? Are there other programs they might be able to help you with? I know several people who have had degrees in RTF and have transitioned into sales. With that said, saying you have ASD sales may be a bit tough, socially. But I don't know much of your background to say. Are there any other groups that may be helpful to you in your area as far as older adults and developmental delays such as yours? Easter Seals comes to mind immediately for assistance.

I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you can find a bit of help.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:17 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,410,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I'm 36 years old and since I graduated from California State University Northridge in June 2004 my luck with jobs has been horrible. For many many years I have gone to job interviews even for flipping burgers jobs not to get hired. My BA degree is in radio-tv-film.

Most jobs I have had supervisors have bullied me,made fun of me,descriminated against me and even lied to fire me for false reasons that never happened. I have never been hired for a job that isn't a minimum wage job.

It pisses me off that so many you millenials are making Hugh salaries right out of college in their 20s.

I'm lost with my life and don't know what to do for a job. Currently I'm not interested in going back to school at my age.

I live in Seattle,Washington in my own apartment using my savings account to pay rent. I have no credit card debt or car payments.

Currently I have a drivers license but use public transportation to get around and don't own a car.

I hired Washington state DVR which is department of vocational rehabilitation to find me a job. DVR hired me a job coach in August 2017 who hasn't found me a job yet.

At age 36 is it too late to get a carreer job?? I feel that my best bet would be to get a city,county,state or federal job because there is job security and less employment discrimination than in the private sector. Also non profit agencies.

What should I do?

I'm lost
Being jealous or 'pissed' at other people's accomplishments is not a good attitude to have.

First off, I am sure you are a hard worker, but so are the people that you are saying have these high paying jobs right out of college. I also have a degree in radio-tv-film and I got hired as a 22 year old right out college.. @ a cable company. I worked my butt off. I hustled to get the job, I hustled to keep the job. I also thought outside of the box. Simply sitting around sending out resume isn't going to get you a job. You need to network, go to job fairs, go to industry events, connect with people on linkedin... get to know people in the business who can help you.

Has nothing to do with your disability. Companies legally cannot discriminate against people who have them. if you are not getting hired, you need to approach the situation differently.

it isn't your job coach's responsibility to get you a job, it's yours.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:52 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,411,531 times
Quote:
A lot of millenials graduated during the Recession Years and could not get anything but unpaid internships.

A degree in radio/TV is not going to be as marketable as STEM degrees. A lot of this has to do with what you chose for your college major. I majored in liberal arts and worked low paid jobs after college, that was just the reality of the type of degree that I had.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM

901 posts, read 748,797 times
You have a crap degree. What business value does it have to get a high salary?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,502,173 times
Quote:

What should I do?

I'm lost
What's the common thread in these jobs you've been fired from?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM

27 posts, read 103,458 times
Getting and keeping a job can be very difficult for adults with autism and/or Asperger's syndrome. It's essential to pick a job that caters to your unique skills. People with Autism often do well working in technical fields, such as computer programmers or engineers. You are not too old to return to school. I know several people who didn't start college in their until their early 40's (they both got married young and raised their kids). If you chose to go back, you'd graduate in your early 40's and still have 20-25 years left to develop a career.

However, since you don't want to return to school, your next best bet is to look for a skilled trade that caters to autistic people. Here's a link to a website where some careers are listed for autistic adults:https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/C...rgers-Syndrome

Working for the government is not a guarantee of anything. Discrimination against autistic adults is, unfortunately, common. It's probably better to seek a career where autism can help you (public or private) rather than trying for a random government job.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,342,595 times
A bachelor's in radio, tv and film, lmao. It would have been better to save the money and skip college if you were just going to waste your time with a degree like that. I would quit telling employers about the degree, you will seem much more credible that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment