Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:03 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,581 times

Advertisements

You're told that you need to better yourself or you're more disposable and that you need to always keep learning more and always be doing this and that in order to compete, yet I've seen the flip side where people for their 40's to 50's CAN'T get hired (or are grossly underemployed) because they are so skilled and may have higher medical costs for not being in their prime that they can no longer get hired as the employers would rather have a cheap foreigner (legal or otherwise) or some desperate cheap fool out of college who needs a way to chip away at paying off that loan instead.

So it seems you're damned if you do (learn stuff) and damned if you don't, so what the heck are you supposed to do (well, other than riot, obviously. )

Also, I might add, I think the door of public sector is closing as it's getting harder to get in, and even if it doesn't, it will either end in communism where everyone works for the government or economic collapse when there is no private sector and it comes time to pay the piper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 AM

4,998 posts, read 2,730,701 times
Default Work Hard and Learn

Yes, I agree with most of what you are saying. People over 30 are getting to be too old (too expensive) to be hired because of their accomplishments, knowledge, and expertise. So learn all you can and work hard. The better you are at it the faster they will get rid of you and you will become unemployable. Workers now have a short shelf life.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Ha ha. Some people are needlessly bitter. It's only a job/work. People over 30 are doing fine. It's not that deep.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 AM

121 posts, read 106,202 times
Brush up on resume tips - You only show 10 years of work history unless job specifically asks for more experience. Will get GOOD look into employee's behaviors and corporate atmosphere for showing up for interview at very least, can see right into their soul ... Just keep quiet about all your experience unless asked.

Are you in a professional job where you are allowed to move up or are you in survival work where you were told no one moves up here...Latter does exist sadly.

Is there work within sight at your current position and requires a little more computer skills or other skills? Can really benefit to use website like Lynda.com for $35/month to learn almost any computer software you might desire and even some creative jobs training...Can also look for the textbook for that desirable college course and buy the textbook used off Amazon for $10.

State 'retirement' as relative left you some money and just take desirable PT work. Can explore any kind of work you desire using Craigslist and reinvent yourself doing anything...Searchtempest will search Craigslist all throughout the USA. Is excellent source of lots of interesting work, projects and internships even good paying professional employment. Real 'Your money or your life' by Joe Dominguez for some real inspiration if you can do this.

Some colleges are mistreating lots of people and no clue why. Several schools have been in trouble lately for this. - Only worth retraining if you pay for 1-2 classes in cash in your subject of interest and see how staff interacts with students. Some of it is VERY shocking discrimination and student had to repay student loan, pell grant or scholarship for leaving school due to mistreatment by mentally unstable professors. May be worth getting a certification or such at most if you see a positive college environment free of harassment...When I saw the college discrimination in more than one place, I dropped my plans for a master's degree in order to teach college...I know dean was harmed in her home in nice neighborhood to keep quiet about the problems at the college. I no longer even go near colleges. I know multiple friends who could be teaching school who already have degree but screwed out of college getting teaching degree for elementary/middle/high school and forced to repay college for 10 years on s-t work wages after leaving over discrimination.

Small business development training NEVER hurts - University's business develop and Small Business Administration are both EXCELLENT stop for anyone who feels aged out of the market yet may be able to get consulting work or freelance work with some related skills. Can self study to any kind of work you desire in your free time, freelance at home and get projects/internships from Craigslist all over the USA to build a portfolio. Many a friend took in freelance work in evenings while working some kind of toxic workplace situation and they 'caught' themselves on the self employment when things finally went wrong at day job. If some effort, you could take contractor work full-time at these points especially if you have some emergency savings to cushion the firing/layoff or spouse earning enough to pay some bills.

Last edited by misnomed; 02-18-2018 at 03:21 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 03:41 AM

Default Excuse Me, Bitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ha ha. Some people are needlessly bitter. It's only a job/work. People over 30 are doing fine. It's not that deep.
It is interesting that you consider me bitter, not knowing who I am. I am a retired computer programmer analyst who had a high paying 35 year career. I have retired well and am now having the best time of my life. I have my health and youth and vigor to enjoy life. I can still pass as a 30-something. I am certainly NOT bitter. I am having too much fun. So please do not assume things about people that you do not know.

Your comment about "It's only a job/work" is interesting. A job, especially a demanding one, takes up a lot of time and concentration, up to the point that it is the most important preoccupation of a person's life.

Also interesting that "People over 30 are doing fine. It's not that deep." Are you really sure? There is quite a lot of evidence that is not the case.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 AM

901 posts, read 748,649 times
Quote:
This. Looking around my upper middle class neighborhood, everyone is well over 30 and doing fine. Heck, a guy at my company just got poached from us....he's 64. He even mistakenly told the company he wants to retire in 3 years…they still hired him at a much higher salary.
People on this forum with mental issues should really learn to distinguish fiction from reality when reading Internet news. All the doom and gloom headlines are designed to draw your attention

Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Your comment about "It's only a job/work" is interesting. A job, especially a demanding one, takes up a lot of time and concentration, up to the point that it is the most important preoccupation of a person's life.

Also interesting that "People over 30 are doing fine. It's not that deep." Are you really sure? There is quite a lot of evidence that is not the case.
I know quite a few six figure earners (over age 30) who work a 40 hr week and their jobs DO NOT take over their lives. I can only speak from experience but I've not witnessed 30 being the cutoff age for having good employment. Some people are just fear mongering.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 AM

To add: If people over 30 "weren't getting hired" or not "doing fine", society would've collapsed.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I know quite a few six figure earners (over age 30) who work a 40 hr week and their jobs DO NOT take over their lives. I can only speak from experience but I've not witnessed 30 being the cutoff age for having good employment. Some people are just fear mongering.
Of course there are no absolutes. Not every one over 30 is in trouble. That would be ridiculous. People have different experiences.

However, it is progressing that many employers want cheap, inexperienced workers under 30. This is getting more and more prevalent. Employers just don't want to pay well for talent anymore.

This trend may someday stabilize and reverse, but right now young and cheap is in. Older and wiser is out.

My comments are based on research, not fear mongering.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:33 AM

Researchers are people with advanced degrees who are specialized in a field of study...not someone who uses google search or parses pubmed articles. If you're not an expert in the field of specialization, you are not a 'researcher'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment