Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Asking questions and negotiating in the job interview is fine. Once past the interview, when on the job, it is best not to ask questions when the actual work conditions change or are different from what was described in the job interview. If you ask questions that are out of the box, then you stand a strong chance of being fired. Most companies have a business to run and don't have time for ethics.

During my 35 year IT career, my colleagues and I knew that you could not rely on questions during the interview being answered truthfully. That is just the nature of the business world. Either you put up with it and pretend that you are "interested in your job" or you leave. Many of my colleagues left, many stayed. I stayed in my last IT job for 28 years. Did I like working for that company? Heck no! But the money was good.
But I think you have to be honest about something like a work schedule during a interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 14,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
But I think you have to be honest about something like a work schedule during a interview.
Thank You!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:04 PM

4,976 posts, read 2,716,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
I’m not on the job yet. I don’t start for another week. I asked a few general questions during and after the offer. One of my questions was when did they want me to start after accepting the offer.
I see. I misunderstood, I thought that you were already working there.

That makes it worse. If you haven't started there, then they are being arrogant and think that you have no choice and must accept or that they have so many other candidates then if they lose you it won't matter to them. They may not be pleasant to work for if they are so stupid and disorganized.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,543 times
sounds like they think they have the upper hand

so its either you press them and ask why is it different than what was said in the interview, and hope they relent

or you need to not accept their offer and find a dirfferent employer

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
It happened exactly as I explained it. You come across very hostile. That’s ok. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Thanks.
You didn't explain it very well. You never said how many questions or what questions you had. You never said if they did or did not answer your remaining questions in the second email. You only mentioned two changes from interview - adding a 30-day "trial" and setting hours 9-6. Obviously, they addressed the hours as you requested 5:30 and they said no.

And the "trial" has no relevance to you, that's an internal paperwork item for them. You're always on "trial". They can let you go after 3 days if they feel it isn't working out. Or 60 days. Works the same way in reverse. You can decide after 3 or 30 days if you still want to work there.

In my experience, 80% of the "questions" come from 20% of the people. More often than not, the one who has all kinds of questions where most people have few or none ends up being a problem case.

I hope you still have a job offer tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM

494 posts, read 502,223 times
If you need the job, take it, but don't stop looking. When you find something new and give give notice, request an exit interview and explain why your leaving.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
If you need the job, take it, but don't stop looking. When you find something new and give give notice, request an exit interview and explain why your leaving.
Thanks that is a good option.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Most company's don't want you to feel like permanent employee until they have a chance to see how you do. And, you might not like them so it is good time to see how it works both ways. Also, please remember, they are in charge so if they changed your hours, just smile and say "wonderful". If it really bothers you, start looking again. You can work on the hours after you have proved to them that you are worth being flexible with.

Be careful how and how often you ask questions as it seems your new manager might be a little touchy.
Thank you for the helpful advice.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You didn't explain it very well. You never said how many questions or what questions you had. You never said if they did or did not answer your remaining questions in the second email. You only mentioned two changes from interview - adding a 30-day "trial" and setting hours 9-6. Obviously, they addressed the hours as you requested 5:30 and they said no.

And the "trial" has no relevance to you, that's an internal paperwork item for them. You're always on "trial". They can let you go after 3 days if they feel it isn't working out. Or 60 days. Works the same way in reverse. You can decide after 3 or 30 days if you still want to work there.

In my experience, 80% of the "questions" come from 20% of the people. More often than not, the one who has all kinds of questions where most people have few or none ends up being a problem case.

I hope you still have a job offer tomorrow.

I try not to ask no more than three questions maybe four but that's definitely the limit.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
When an employer is looking for help, they may not know yet exactly what the entire job will be or the hours required. As it comes down to hiring someone and giving them a job offer, that's when the job should be reasonably written in stone. An employer is looking for someone to do a specific job the way they want it done and pay a specific wage for quality work. If there's any part of that you don't like, don't accept the job. Neither party is going to be happy. Doesn't make you an idiot and it doesn't make them a bad company. It's just not a good fit. From what I gather from this thread, you need to turn the job down and find something you'll be a lot happier at. Life is too short for BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment