Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

So a recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn last Wednesday about some jobs available @ her company that she thinks I could be a good fit for. She asked me when I have time to chat about the open positions.

I replied back to her telling her I had open availability, asked her what's best for her and that I looked forward to connecting.

I haven't heard from her yet to even set up a phone call... like why reach out to a candidate if you have no intention of getting back to them? I think it's highly unprofessional to not respond at all to someone... especially if you work in HR, you're supposed to be 'people-oriented'

I also realize people get sick, go on vacation etc etc, things come up... but I replied to her email about 15 minutes after she sent it. What are the chances she ran out the door for a vacation 15 minutes after she reaches out to me?

Now the work day is over and tomorrow will be almost a week since I've heard from her. I am interested in hearing about the jobs they have open though.

Do I just reach back out to her? No harm in following up, right?

It just kind of gives off a bad impression to not respond to someone when SHE was the one who reached out to me first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 03:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Uh, did you give her your references? That may be all she wanted. Names and phone #s of people to contact for her own business purposes in finding jobs.

Recruiters can dig for all kinds of information from job hunters even knowing they don't have a job to present them to. They often lie.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Uh, did you give her your references? That may be all she wanted. Names and phone #s of people to contact for her own business purposes in finding jobs.

Recruiters can dig for all kinds of information from job hunters even knowing they don't have a job to present them to. They often lie.
I didn't give her references. It's not my job to refer people to any recruiter. That's THEIR job.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:59 PM

62 posts, read 106,812 times
Was this an internal recruiter hiring for her own company or was this a third-party recruiter (Colloquially known as a staffing/temp agency)? If the latter, then Priscilla Vanilla could be right. Many recruiters out there will simply try to collect/stockpile information from prospective candidates by advertising offers that don't exist for the purpose of helping meet their own targets and quotas in the case that a position does arise in the future.

On the other hand if she genuinely has a possible job offer for you, then I would just keep calling/emailing/bugging her. In my experience, most recruiters at these agencies are very unprofessional with regards to timeliness as it pertains to you (Though ironically, when they require some further action on your part, they expect it almost immediately). Just be prepared to be constantly having to remind her of the job position you both previously discussed and the agreed upon salary/location (As often times they will forget this too). Recruiters at these agencies have a large base of client companies and often don't keep good track of the positions they advertise and to whom they advertise them to.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnroc View Post
Was this an internal recruiter hiring for her own company or was this a third-party recruiter (Colloquially known as a staffing/temp agency)? If the latter, then Priscilla Vanilla could be right. Many recruiters out there will simply try to collect/stockpile information from prospective candidates by advertising offers that don't exist for the purpose of helping meet their own targets and quotas in the case that a position does arise in the future.

On the other hand if she genuinely has a possible job offer for you, then I would just keep calling/emailing/bugging her. In my experience, most recruiters at these agencies are very unprofessional with regards to timeliness as it pertains to you (Though ironically, when they require some further action on your part, they expect it almost immediately). Just be prepared to be constantly having to remind her of the job position you both previously discussed and the agreed upon salary/location (As often times they will forget this too). Recruiters at these agencies have a large base of client companies and often don't keep good track of the positions they advertise and to whom they advertise them to.
IT was a recruiter @ the actual co... not a 3rd party/staffing firm

Old 02-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I didn't give her references. It's not my job to refer people to any recruiter. That's THEIR job.
No. What I meant was, did she ask you for your own references from people you have worked for in the past so she could contact them, presumably to find out about your work ethics and such.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnroc View Post
Was this an internal recruiter hiring for her own company or was this a third-party recruiter (Colloquially known as a staffing/temp agency)? If the latter, then Priscilla Vanilla could be right. Many recruiters out there will simply try to collect/stockpile information from prospective candidates by advertising offers that don't exist for the purpose of helping meet their own targets and quotas in the case that a position does arise in the future..
Right.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No. What I meant was, did she ask you for your own references from people you have worked for in the past so she could contact them, presumably to find out about your work ethics and such.
OH. No she didnt.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
I would NOT contact her. She is not acting in a professional manner. Forget her and move on. Don't dance to her tune by crawling to her by contacting her.

If she does contact you later, act incredulously and ask her why she took so long. Then, depending if you are satisfied with her answer, deal or not deal with her.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:59 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I would NOT contact her. She is not acting in a professional manner. Forget her and move on. Don't dance to her tune by crawling to her by contacting her.

If she does contact you later, act incredulously and ask her why she took so long. Then, depending if you are satisfied with her answer, deal or not deal with her.
I wouldn't do the latter - often times you have a good company with lousy internal recruiters (after all, if they were THAT good the company would never need nor accept outside recruiters). You don't want to get a "do not hire, poor attitude" note put in a recruiting record about you by being snarky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment