Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,151 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’ve been out of work for about two months because the company I was working for closed down. I went interview for a job a few weeks ago and I was initially pretty excited about the role. When I did receive an offer many of the details were different from what we discussed in the interview. When I went to the interview the initial idea was this role was going to be part time and a 10-5ish schedule and said there was some flexibility. When they made the offer they changed it to a 30 day trial period and if they feel I’m a good fit they’ll offer me a permanent role after the trial. They never mentioned it being a 30 day trial in the interview. They also changed the hours to 9-6 with not much flexibility. I told them I prefer to leave at 5:30 but they said no. I like the other hours better but at the same time I need a job. So I accepted it. Now I’m having second thoughts.

I had some questions for my new manager that I sent her via email. She only answered a few of my questions and either ignored or missed the rest. So I sent a second email with the questions that she didn’t answer. She then wrote me back a snappy email saying “Please consolidate your questions in one email from now on” .. seriously? That really put me off.

Looking for advice

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 04:21 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Most company's don't want you to feel like permanent employee until they have a chance to see how you do. And, you might not like them so it is good time to see how it works both ways. Also, please remember, they are in charge so if they changed your hours, just smile and say "wonderful". If it really bothers you, start looking again. You can work on the hours after you have proved to them that you are worth being flexible with.

Be careful how and how often you ask questions as it seems your new manager might be a little touchy.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
They are probably put off by your neediness. If you aren't interested then fine, keep looking. But don't expect them to cater to your preferences or give you any guarantees. Sounds like you're about an email away from having the choice made for you.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They are probably put off by your neediness. If you aren't interested then fine, keep looking. But don't expect them to cater to your preferences or give you any guarantees. Sounds like you're about an email away from having the choice made for you.
Mod cut. What are you talking about? Most people ask for details before they accept the job offer. I interviewed and we talked about these things in detail and then they switched it up in the offer. Last I checked that’s called bait and switch. That’s not a nice thing to do to someone. It’s dishonest.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-25-2018 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
[snip] What are you talking about? Most people ask for details before they accept the job offer. I interviewed and we talked about these things in detail and then they switched it up in the offer. Last I checked that’s called bait and switch. That’s not a nice thing to do to someone. It’s dishonest.
Mod cut.

You come off as combative with an attitude. Whatever. Your post is too vague for anyone to give you any advice other than do what you feel is best and live with it.

We didn't see any of these emails and people's paraphrasing may or may not be reliable. We don't know if you asked a few reasonable questions in a clear manner or a lot of silly and confusing questions. Either way, sounds like they are annoyed with it.

Bait and switch isn't that common in job offers. It's also not that common that people complain about getting more (paid) hours than discussed. Maybe you misunderstood "possibilities" as promises?

One is almost always on a "trial" period, explicitly stated or not.

We don't know you or this company. We don't know if you're having second thoughts because this company is acting odd or if you just typically having second thoughts about any decision. You might want to consider your lack of other options unless you just don't need the income. You've been out of work a few months and you don't seem that in demand.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-25-2018 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Rude; baiting.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
[snip]
You come off as combative with an attitude. Whatever. Your post is too vague for anyone to give you any advice other than do what you feel is best and live with it.

We didn't see any of these emails and people's paraphrasing may or may not be reliable. We don't know if you asked a few reasonable questions in a clear manner or a lot of silly and confusing questions. Either way, sounds like they are annoyed with it.

Bait and switch isn't that common in job offers. It's also not that common that people complain about getting more (paid) hours than discussed. Maybe you misunderstood "possibilities" as promises?

We don't know you or this company. We don't know if you're having second thoughts because this company is acting odd or if you just typically having second thoughts about any decision. You might want to consider your lack of other options unless you just don't need the income. You've been out of work a few months and you don't seem that in demand.
It happened exactly as I explained it. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-25-2018 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Bickering.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:15 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
[snip]

Bait and switch is very common in job offers. That said, it is best not to ask any unnecessary questions and just work like they tell you. If you ask these questions or act out of the ordinary, they will simply fire you.

I would try working as they say and see if you like it. Give it a few weeks and if you still don't like it, just leave for something better.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-25-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Bait and switch is very common in job offers. That said, it is best not to ask any unnecessary questions and just work like they tell you. If you ask these questions or act out of the ordinary, they will simply fire you.

I would try working as they say and see if you like it. Give it a few weeks and if you still don't like it, just leave for something better.
I have never accepted a job offer without asking questions or negotiating. Especially when they said they were flexible on the shift. I’m very surprised anyone wouldn’t ask questions. I want to have an idea what I’m getting into.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
I have never accepted a job offer without asking questions or negotiating. Especially when they said they were flexible on the shift. I’m very surprised anyone wouldn’t ask questions. I want to have an idea what I’m getting into.
Asking questions and negotiating in the job interview is fine. Once past the interview, when on the job, it is best not to ask questions when the actual work conditions change or are different from what was described in the job interview. If you ask questions that are out of the box, then you stand a strong chance of being fired. Most companies have a business to run and don't have time for ethics.

During my 35 year IT career, my colleagues and I knew that you could not rely on questions during the interview being answered truthfully. That is just the nature of the business world. Either you put up with it and pretend that you are "interested in your job" or you leave. Many of my colleagues left, many stayed. I stayed in my last IT job for 28 years. Did I like working for that company? Heck no! But the money was good.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Asking questions and negotiating in the job interview is fine. Once past the interview, when on the job, it is best not to ask questions when the actual work conditions change or are different from what was described in the job interview. If you ask questions that are out of the box, then you stand a strong chance of being fired. Most companies have a business to run and don't have time for ethics.

During my 35 year IT career, my colleagues and I knew that you could not rely on questions during the interview being answered truthfully. That is just the nature of the business world. Either you put up with it and pretend that you are "interested in your job" or you leave. Many of my colleagues left, many stayed. I stayed in my last IT job for 28 years. Did I like working for that company? Heck no! But the money was good.
I’m not on the job yet. I don’t start for another week. I asked a few general questions during and after the offer. One of my questions was when did they want me to start after accepting the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment