Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,728,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I’m always curious to see what’s out there
First, I don't know where you live - salaries vary from region to region.

You can not get your foot in the door with a BA/S. In most cases, the door won't open without one. In some of these fields, the salary is determined by personality and how hard you work.

1. Anything in the insurance industry. My father and uncle were in the insurance field and died multi millionaires. My father majored in American History, and my uncle in physical education. They major insurance industry will not train anyone in any field with out a BA.

2. Government and Civil Service jobs - vary in salary, are secure, excellent health and retirement benefits as well as job security. I know people for the state of Arkansas with a BA in Psych from UAR who is close to retirement age. She's done well for herself. Ditto PA, NYS, OH and PA. Many cities, also.
Most municipalities have a special list of jobs for people with BAs.

3. Parole Officer. - they train you. All you need is a BA and it does not need to be in Criminal Justice.

4. Management Trainee in any industry. No BA. No trainee.

5. Entry level school teacher in most cities. You will teach in the field that you studied - History, Art, English, Sociology, Math, Music, Biology, Political Science and Government. In many states one can begin teaching with only a BA. at the secondary level. For example, in NYS, you can start with a BA and they give you five years to obtain your masters. Some places pay or reimburse you for your masters. There are so many on line masters in education that are really inexpensive. Some as short as a year. Shop around.
Summers off. Great benefits.

5. NGOs, Non Profits - all have entry level jobs for which a BA is essential.

6. Account Manager/ Sales - Nephew works for an institutional food sales company based in PA. It's been three years and he earns over 100K. His major - History Political Science. Eventual goal is law school.

8. Support Staff at Universities. Admissions, Financial Aid, Departmental Management. They may eventually require a masters, but generally, one can obtain a masters at that college or university free of cost or at a vastly reduced rate. Recent grads welcome and often given preferential treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,226,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
They set you apart if you're seeking jobs in journalism...
Have you worked in journalism? They really don’t. You might get the occasional editor who probably majored in journalism themselves that wants a reporter who is 100 percent a reporter and nothing else. The easy way to get around that is to apply to another editor. Editors who want writers to write science articles will be just as happy if not happier with someone who majored in a science, editors for financial papers will be just as happy with someone who majored in economics, etc. The difference is if you actually have a science degree or economics degree you can use that toward a science job or an economics job.

As long as you know how to write and don’t plagiarize or fabricate, your degree could be anything. Once you get past entry level all the other stuff is more based on what your clips, connections, and these days your brand can get you.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your salary has nothing to do with your degree. Your degree gets your foot in the door. After that, everything else is on YOU.
I'm graduating this May, and I really wish someone had said this to me before I went (back) to school. I'll have a double major in I/O psychology and HR after all's said and done but...I've got no clue what I'm going to do.
I work with aquatic pets as of now sooo....fish breeder?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM

12,853 posts, read 15,157,765 times
In my area of southern California, you can mk about $100/day (at times, a little more) being a substitute teacher w/ just the following qualifications:

- BA/BS in ANY field
- Passing of exam called CBEST

Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,486,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl38 View Post
I'm graduating this May, and I really wish someone had said this to me before I went (back) to school. I'll have a double major in I/O psychology and HR after all's said and done but...I've got no clue what I'm going to do.
I work with aquatic pets as of now sooo....fish breeder?
Clearly you’ve set yourself up for a career in HR. Was that not your intent?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,792,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Sales.

Get a degree in underwater basket-weaving, but if you can sell there is always a place for you in most organizations and no one gives a rats *** what your degree is in.
I think sales is one profession that they can give a rats a#* if you have a degree! It’s all about being a people person. You might need a license or certification though.

What comes to mind is a teacher. Not the highest paying job, but the benefits are good and you can almost get some type of teaching job with any type of Bachelors degree.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,806,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
In my area of southern California, you can mk about $100/day (at times, a little more) being a substitute teacher w/ just the following qualifications:

- BA/BS in ANY field
- Passing of exam called CBEST
$100/day? Isn't that about what fast food workers make in California?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,453,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
$100/day? Isn't that about what fast food workers make in California?
For 180 instructional days that comes out to $18,000/year gross. In SoCal (although, to be honest, we don'w know whether "southern Cal." means San Diego or Calexico).

I don't think anyone would consider that "the best paying job you can get with any bachelor's degree".

Reading comprehension, folks!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,369,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I've come up as an INTJ-Architect personality type. And while I do enjoy solitude from time to time, I can also be very social when necessary. I think that you're confusing personality types with lack of social skills altogether.

It's kind of like how I started out not very comfortable around guns early on in life. But once I started taking target practice more and more, I felt A LOT more comfortable around them. And while I'm not obsessed with being around them, if I need or want to, I am more than capable of handling one on my own.
“E” vs “I” has nothing to do with how outgoing you can be, it’s if you are driven internally or externally.

Technical sales has a lot of less-outgoing brainy types, and I’ve seen some earn big money.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,426,524 times
Definitely sales. You can work your way up from a start in sales all the way to CEO (though you may need to tuck in an MBA at some point in the future).

Starting salary can be in the 40-60k territory but will quickly jump to six figures if you're good at it.

Depending on the business line, such as business to business supply sales, it doesn't matter what your degree is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think sales is one profession that they can give a rats a#* if you have a degree! It’s all about being a people person. You might need a license or certification though.
Actually most sales positions require at least a bachelors just to step foot into the interview, but it doesn't matter what it is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment