Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times

Advertisements

I know a few folks in sales who do really well with degrees in things like Arts and Computer Science. Not sure how they got their foot in the door. The ones (I personally know)selling commercial insurance seem to do the best.
My brother does very well trading agriculture commodities. He was mostly an athlete in school and although he has a degree, it has nothing to do with his career.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I know a few folks in sales who do really well with degrees in things like Arts and Computer Science. Not sure how they got their foot in the door. The ones (I personally know)selling commercial insurance seem to do the best.
My brother does very well trading agriculture commodities. He was mostly an athlete in school and although he has a degree, it has nothing to do with his career.
I was going to suggest sales as well. If you have the gift of being a salesperson, you can make a lot of money selling commercial insurance or commercial real estate. You can even make a ton of money selling used cars if you work your way up to owning your own lot and doing the financing.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
High margin sales. Real estate, B2B, auto, insurance.

Some of these guys make bank, and their undergrad degrees where in all sorts of different areas of study. Eventually when they wanted to move up to Sales Director or Regional Manager, they'd go back for a MBA or something related.

Sales is one of the few fields where merit tends to outweigh cronyism and nepotism.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Unfortunately, will sales you have to be BS artist, with a gift to gab, and walk around with a fake smile on your face every day and downright borderline sociopathic or charisma out the wazoo which makes others flock to you. . It is more merit-based with the commissions but we all can't be social butterflies unfortunately. If you're an introvert by nature/nurture, you won't do too well in sales. Most of the skills needed for sales require inherent social ability from birth or childhood

Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
For non sales job, finance that involves investment banking, high level math and statistics, combined with programming knowledge.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Cocaine smuggler.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:16 AM

836 posts, read 774,939 times
Engineering must be in the conversation. Salaries range from $60k to start and can exceed $200k by the time you get to. 25 yrs experience.....more if you are in Management or High level Sales.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Unfortunately, will sales you have to be BS artist, with a gift to gab, and walk around with a fake smile on your face every day and downright borderline sociopathic. It is more merit-based with the commissions but we all can't be social butterflies unfortunately. If you're an introvert by nature/nurture, you won't do too well in sales.
Sales support roles can be lucrative. Supply chain analysts and managers can also be good career jobs.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:35 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Unfortunately, will sales you have to be BS artist, with a gift to gab, and walk around with a fake smile on your face every day and downright borderline sociopathic or charisma out the wazoo which makes others flock to you. . It is more merit-based with the commissions but we all can't be social butterflies unfortunately. If you're an introvert by nature/nurture, you won't do too well in sales. Most of the skills needed for sales require inherent social ability from birth or childhood
Haha sales is a great answer though. It probably works for most people as I think at least in America there are a higher percentage of extroverts than introverts. I’m an INTP personality type though. On one test I took it even came back as 99 percent introvert, 1 percent extrovert (though I think I’m a little more extroverted than that). In other words that would be pretty much torture for me. On the other hand lock me in a closet with a bunch of paperwork for weeks on end and I’ll be fine.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 AM

192 posts, read 131,176 times
Many government jobs don't seem to picking about what degree you have, just that you have a degree. If you aren't a veteran, it can be a bit of an uphill climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment