Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,534,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
The only thing I find kind of odd in the contract, is that resignation requires 3 months' notice... If someone doesn't want to be there, why keep them for so long?! This kind of makes looking for the next job difficult. Typically employers don't want to wait that long, right?

Also, there is no dental insurance....
They can't MAKE you stay. Of course if you are owed any money they might hold that back.

No dental insurance, welcome to the real world. Would you want to use a dentist in asia anyway.

Sounds uglier all the time. Never mind picking income (and not that great) over seeing your little ones grow up. You will never have taht time back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 07:52 AM

251 posts, read 205,179 times
Depends in what country. 150k in Japan is nothing.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,431,286 times
Absolutely.

During my working years, I typically see my family only once or twice a year. And I love them. People are so spread out, and vacations are so tight these days that this is common. Vacations 4 times a year?!?!?! International?!??!?

So I would jump at that opportunity.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,272,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Absolutely.

During my working years, I typically see my family only once or twice a year. And I love them. People are so spread out, and vacations are so tight these days that this is common. Vacations 4 times a year?!?!?! International?!??!?

So I would jump at that opportunity.
The OP was talking about his immediate family, his wife and two toddler age children.

Did you only see your spouse and little children once or twice a year or were you referring to your parents and siblings?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,272,669 times
I was thinking about an acquaintance that accepted a job in China. On paper it looked like a great deal with a huge salary. Once he got there he realized that it was not anything like he expected. The work week was 20 hours longer than what he was told and the benefits far less than he expected.

It ended up being a nightmare. He got sick (severe pneumonia with numerous complications) and needed to be hospitalized and then had a long recovery period. It turned out that not only did he not have paid sick days or disability but because he missed so much work he was penalized by being fired and losing his sign-in bonus and his paid return plane ticket.

I'm not sure how typical this is, but for him it was a huge financial disaster.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:14 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,257,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Depends in what country. 150k in Japan is nothing.
USD 150k in Japan would be great, despite the taxable income. The Bubble 1980s are long gone. Japan isn't expensive at that salary (local salaries are much lower), even in the major cities.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM

251 posts, read 205,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
USD 150k in Japan would be great, despite the taxable income. The Bubble 1980s are long gone. Japan isn't expensive at that salary (local salaries are much lower), even in the major cities.
Yes if you are in Naha, Okinawa then maybe. But in Tokyo it's just as expensive as NYC. Assuming you'll have to work in a high priced metropolitan area for that income and support a Wife and kids (due to gender discrimination against Women and then the whole Gaijin factor) it really is a pittance.

My Wife's Sister in Ibaraki makes 150k between her and her husband and they are pretty frugal. The kids who are all grown now just turned 18 and 19 are going to local University. The equivalent of CUNY here. So yes it can be done but this is Native Japanese so there are a lot of areas where things will be cheaper for them. For a Gaijin that has no clue how local municipal ordinances and policies work you will be spending the first 5-10 years out the ass adapting on how to spend less on the daily basis.

Even though my Wife is Japanese and I know Japan it would cost me more in the beginning. There are hidden costs such as when you get into a mortgage that is not advertised just like in the U.S. etc.

Now if you are a single 18 year old kid with nothing to lose then none of this applies of course. I'm assuming OP is a bit older than that

Old 02-25-2018, 11:08 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,817,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Because you felt he was being "selfish"?
No, not at all. He couldn’t find work locally. He took what he could find. It’s very hard on the spouse who is behind. I do everything, pay the bills, take care of the kids, dog, house maintenance, work full time etc. etc. etc. He is off in another state, living in a hotel, room and maid service.

After awhile it was too much. We are now in the same situation again. It’s incredibly hard on both of us. I just feel it’s harder on me. Of course I haven’t lived in his shoes.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Yes if you are in Naha, Okinawa then maybe. But in Tokyo it's just as expensive as NYC. Assuming you'll have to work in a high priced metropolitan area for that income and support a Wife and kids (due to gender discrimination against Women and then the whole Gaijin factor) it really is a pittance.

My Wife's Sister in Ibaraki makes 150k between her and her husband and they are pretty frugal. The kids who are all grown now just turned 18 and 19 are going to local University. The equivalent of CUNY here. So yes it can be done but this is Native Japanese so there are a lot of areas where things will be cheaper for them. For a Gaijin that has no clue how local municipal ordinances and policies work you will be spending the first 5-10 years out the ass adapting on how to spend less on the daily basis.

Even though my Wife is Japanese and I know Japan it would cost me more in the beginning. There are hidden costs such as when you get into a mortgage that is not advertised just like in the U.S. etc.

Now if you are a single 18 year old kid with nothing to lose then none of this applies of course. I'm assuming OP is a bit older than that
Japan is really not that expensive. I lived in a high-priced metropolitan area there and it was surprisingly cheap if you know how to work the system. Now if you want to live a US lifestyle with a huge house and all the things you would expect in the US, of course you are going to spend out the nose. My sister managed to save a ton of money while living in Japan and only made about $45K a year. She had a transport subsidy and a housing subsidy. They did have food delivery to the office, but you would die of a heart attack if you got that food daily, so she brought her lunch. She did spend quite a bit on her health insurance, but was quite happy with it.

The main difference in living costs Japan is that initial rental costs are outrageous with the reikin and skikikin being up to 6 months upfront that you might not get back. Mortgages and credit are also different since they don’t really have a lot of credit options. However, Japan is a lot safer so you can live in “undesirable” areas for pretty cheap and not have to worry about bad things happening to you like you would here in the US. I knew a lot of people who lived in bad areas of town... heck, I lived in a bad area of my town, and I mean the homeless person who lived in my stairs was annoying, but I didn’t feel like it was unsafe. I had another friend who lived in a different bad area of town that was extremely convenient to everything in town.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:28 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,153,350 times
Your family can go visit you in summer and X,'mas. There is direct flight between Newark and Singapore. About 15 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment