Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 PM

30,773 posts, read 18,515,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
If I were OP, I would take the offer.

Just imagine as if he were in the military and were deployed overseas but with -- better pay, less risk, comfortable working environment.

I assume OP is still young. It is nice to add on the resume with international experience.
That's not necessarily true and would depend on a number of factors, including rank, time in service, duty station, education level, etc. Many people look at military base pay and automatically assume that we're not paid very well. But this fails to take into account our tax-free allowances and COLA (for overseas assignments . . . and Hawaii counts as an overseas assignment just FYI ) and free healthcare, which all factor into our compensation.

Take me as an example. My base pay (which is the only pay that I'm taxed on) is about $50,000/year. But when you factor in my COLA, housing pay, food pay, and the fact that I don't pay any state taxes on military income (not every state has this rule, but my state of residency does), my take home pay is along the lines of someone who is earning around $115,000 a year (just from military pay . . . this doesn't count rental income . . . I was able to purchase my condo with no money down thanks to a VA-backed home loan, which is another benefit). And this is before we get into things like healthcare benefits, which only add to my compensation package. Also, because I'm on shore duty (I will never have a true sea duty based on my job), I wager that I have far better hours than someone working a similar job earning what I do.

There are many reasons why I'd be tempted to take the job, but, given Singapore's high cost of living and given that I'd be taxed on my income by Singapore and by the US government, I don't know if its such a good deal. Hence, it would take a lot more money for me to take such an offer as a general matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM

857 posts, read 967,938 times
Reporting live from Singapore...

Will you take a 0K job in Asia and only see family 4 times a year?-img_20180308_141925-large-.jpg

Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 PM

729 posts, read 567,495 times
How's it going?

Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM

857 posts, read 967,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
How's it going?
So far so good. Company gave an allowance to live in hotel for a month, during this time I will look for a place to live and pay for that myself. It's been all pretty smooth.

Office environment is nice, at prime waterfront location overlooking the Merlion Park. Hours are 9-6, with a *2 hour* lunch break. Can't complain.

1st impression of SG: Everything is squeaky clean.
2nd impression of SG: It's perpetual summer here.
3rd impression of SG: People are fit; stunning women are all over the place

Will you take a 0K job in Asia and only see family 4 times a year?-img_20180308_173948-large-.jpg

Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 AM

2,693 posts, read 2,124,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
So far so good. Company gave an allowance to live in hotel for a month, during this time I will look for a place to live and pay for that myself. It's been all pretty smooth.

Office environment is nice, at prime waterfront location overlooking the Merlion Park. Hours are 9-6, with a *2 hour* lunch break. Can't complain.

1st impression of SG: Everything is squeaky clean.
These are my responses based on my single two week visit to Singapore about six years ago or so....

Yes it is very clean in tourist areas and where upper middle class Singaporeans live. Not necessarily true of the modest areas where you might end up living.

Quote:
2nd impression of SG: It's perpetual summer here.
Can't argue with that. Also with a very high humidity.

Quote:
3rd impression of SG: People are fit; stunning women are all over the place

Yes but you are you into Asian women? They are also always in shape, respectful, friendly, helpful, polite, etc. Although most are very short Most also speak very good English though with a bit of an accent and slang words (Singlish?)

In any case, you are better off not noticing this fact since you presumably want to keep your family.

So any plans to visit the first four floors of Orchard towers or Geylang area? If you do, make sure to post some reviews...

Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,582,917 times
Nah. I love my family and it isn't much of a salary change.

And why can't I see my family more than four times per year?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,088,127 times
Haven't you already been living/working there last year?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,837,883 times
Wow that is beautiful! How are the wide and kids handling it?

Old 03-18-2018, 02:22 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,495,782 times
After what I've been through over the past few years...probably not. I try to never say "never"; however, my most recent employer showed me just how important support networks are, and they are pretty necessary for me. So thank you, crappy employer. You illustrated what's important in life and what happens when people value careers over being decent human beings.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:49 PM

7,641 posts, read 5,155,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Nah. I love my family and it isn't much of a salary change.

And why can't I see my family more than four times per year?
Most companies are not interested in paying for moves for family (plane tickets, bigger place, nicer area, etc). Unless your skill set is exceptionally difficult to find.

Also were those pictures humidity and clouds or smog? The smog and over population is why I would never go there .... nasty. I heard China was nice like 60 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment