Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,945,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_Lynn View Post
When I first interviewed they said they may be flexible on a schedule and I have this in mind. Family always comes first and my mother is more important. So if they can’t work with me then I understand.

Unless you have some helpful advice - Please don’t respond. Not looking for judgement.
Evidently, you don't take criticism well. You asked for advice, and that is all people are doing.

It ALWAYS looks bad when a new employee starts off with issues. NO employer wants anyone to come in and start asking for exceptions or accomodations.

Yes, family is important, but so are good jobs. You landed the job,so you should be grateful and find other care for your parent. The flags always go up when someone starts off like this, and it usually goes down hill rapidly.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:44 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,650,581 times
They are probably shocked that you'd request a better schedule already and are contemplating how to respond.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:45 PM

18 posts, read 8,243 times
Well my mother dying is more important. So if they can’t be flexible all they have to do is say so.

I think it’s better to ask now than to wait until after I start.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
always call if you need an immediate response - emails are tended to be viewed as more non-urgent and quite honestly, could be easily overlooked with many emails coming in through-out the day. You certainly want to talk to your new boss and let them know why you're requesting the change

good luck
Thank you. I’m going to call her tomorrow morning.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Evidently, you don't take criticism well. You asked for advice, and that is all people are doing.

It ALWAYS looks bad when a new employee starts off with issues. NO employer wants anyone to come in and start asking for exceptions or accomodations.

Yes, family is important, but so are good jobs. You landed the job,so you should be grateful and find other care for your parent. The flags always go up when someone starts off like this, and it usually goes down hill rapidly.
My mother is more important. If they can’t be flexible - all they can do is let me know

Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Well if it’s that much of a problem - They can let me know and I can look for something else.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,716,248 times
Well your fingers work since you can type so why not CALL? If this is such an important thing, you'd CALL not email and wait 3 days. And YES it looks VERY bad for you that you haven't even started yet and you're asking to change your hours. You may not have a job offer anymore because of this. While you may have discussed flexibility in the interview, clearly you didn't confirm that you needed to leave by 430 during the interview. Flexibility also doesn't mean you get to tell them when you want to work.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:01 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,945,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_Lynn View Post
Well if it’s that much of a problem - They can let me know and I can look for something else.
That would probably be best for the both of you. Terminal Cancer isn't like a one day event, you will increasingly be called upon to take time off and do things. It will start off with you wanting to leave at 4:30, then you will need a day off, and it will go from there.

Companies need to operate on a consistent basis, with people they can depend on. I've been around the block a lot of times, both on the management side and as an employee, and this one has all the earmarks of not ending well.

Sorry about your mom, but you need to make a decision before you waste their time and your time.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well your fingers work since you can type so why not CALL? If this is such an important thing, you'd CALL not email and wait 3 days. And YES it looks VERY bad for you that you haven't even started yet and you're asking to change your hours. You may not have a job offer anymore because of this. While you may have discussed flexibility in the interview, clearly you didn't confirm that you needed to leave by 430 during the interview. Flexibility also doesn't mean you get to tell them when you want to work.
Well my mother was just diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer this past weekend. So that wasn't an option.

Thank you for the compassion.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That would probably be best for the both of you. Terminal Cancer isn't like a one day event, you will increasingly be called upon to take time off and do things. It will start off with you wanting to leave at 4:30, then you will need a day off, and it will go from there.

Companies need to operate on a consistent basis, with people they can depend on. I've been around the block a lot of times, both on the management side and as an employee, and this one has all the earmarks of not ending well.

Sorry about your mom, but you need to make a decision before you waste their time and your time.

I'm going to call tomorrow. If they can't allow it. I will look for something more flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment