Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:34 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,488,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_Lynn View Post
Well my mother dying is more important. So if they can’t be flexible all they have to do is say so.

I think it’s better to ask now than to wait until after I start.
I'm in your corner and I think some of the responses were just cold. While I get the idea that a new employee making "demands" can be off putting this is a special circumstances. It sounds as if the need for a new schedule is a recent situation so you could not bring it up in the interview right? Seeing as they did say the hours were flexible, well....

If you are ready to walk away from this job to care for your mom, and major props to you for that, then you have nothing to lose by asking or by simply making that schedule on your first day if you get no response. Again the request is a bit of a risk but the new boss is being unprofessional in his/her non-response.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-28-2018 at 04:50 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 05:52 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,897,649 times
It all boils down that some people only want to hear what they want to hear. If Amber is offended by some of the very mild comments on this thread ( I went back and reread each one, and they are VERY mild) then she needs to toughen up a little.

I guess we should have said " Oh, sweetie, that mean old boss should do whatever he can to help you out, after all, businesses should take better care of their employees, especially ones who haven't even started work yet !"

Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 AM

795 posts, read 1,013,399 times
How many feet do you have?

You have given your opinions, time to let it go.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,588,410 times
Glad they agreed on the time change OP.

Just curious why the 1/2 hour though? To me, this amount of time is so small that I'm not sure I'd have risk losing my job over it. Or I'd just quit to be with my mom. Or ask one of the siblings who have been at their jobs longer to get an adjustment so I could arrive after my 5pm shift ended.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:05 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Glad they agreed on the time change OP.

Just curious why the 1/2 hour though? To me, this amount of time is so small that I'm not sure I'd have risk losing my job over it. Or I'd just quit to be with my mom. Or ask one of the siblings who have been at their jobs longer to get an adjustment so I could arrive after my 5pm shift ended.
Yes I think people are curious to the con text of the situation? Is your mom in the hospital?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,976,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This from a person who sent a DM to call me names? That alone sent your credibility and maturity into the crapper! So sad, So pathetic........

When you play the dead or dying mom card, be prepared for people to call your hand! Don't get upset when we see a flaw in your story that begs an answer.
I find it rather unusual that someone needs 30 minutes to care for a newly diagnosed cancer patient at the end of the work day specifically at 4:30PM. Treatment options still need to be discussed, and when a decision is made that treatment typically occurs during work hours. Furthermore, treatment does not start the same week as the diagnosis. I'm very curious about what sort of care is urgently needed specifically at this time of day for someone who just received bad news from the doctor.

I'm also wondering whether the new employee is running this idea on a forum first to check the believability factor.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,503,222 times
Quote:
Its not about what is said, but about how it is said.
Have you read your responses?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,705,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Have you read your responses?

No kidding. Something not right here. Everyone provided good information. Not sure what else she wanted, if she actually wanted anything.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:11 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,748,005 times
Quote:
My boss has agreed to an earlier leave time.

Thank you again to those of you with the kind words and helpful advice. Unfortunately I will not be coming back to this forum. Kindness seems to be something you can’t find too much of here. This forum seems to harbor many unhappy and bitter people. Life is too short to spend time arguing with people that have nothing better to do. My mother’s life will be ending at the age of 52. Good night.
I am glad it worked out and really am not surprised. Unless you are working on some sort of queue, or your shift has bearing on the next shift most companies dont care. They want to make sure they get their 8hrs out of you. I have many indirect reports (folks who report to my direct reports) that work multiple schedules based on their needs.

I am sorry about your mom.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,490,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That would probably be best for the both of you. Terminal Cancer isn't like a one day event, you will increasingly be called upon to take time off and do things. It will start off with you wanting to leave at 4:30, then you will need a day off, and it will go from there.

Companies need to operate on a consistent basis, with people they can depend on. I've been around the block a lot of times, both on the management side and as an employee, and this one has all the earmarks of not ending well.

Sorry about your mom, but you need to make a decision before you waste their time and your time.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in surmising this is for companies in general, and not something that's absolute. Still, I had to link a shocking story about company loyalty that's almost unheard of this day in age....

https://www.quora.com/What-makes-an-...er-1?srid=dgIM

Mod cut: copyrighted material.

Quote:
Well my mother dying is more important. So if they can’t be flexible all they have to do is say so.

I think it’s better to ask now than to wait until after I start.
I agree. Better to let them know ahead of time, as that helps them to plan for this better. Whether or not both of you (parties) can make it work... at least you can say you tried to do the right thing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2018 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment