Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:04 PM

334 posts, read 221,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
It is not rocket science. There is a way to get the work done and have family time. Your boss was just a ****ing clown and an idiot and that's really all there is to it!
Well, he really wasn't a clown and I enjoyed working for him. I just wish that they had issued me a verbal or written warning, put me on probation, or something! I was well-liked there and I know that for a fact. They never filled my position, so they probably decided to save money and used my time off as an excuse.

You never know how your boss is going to react to these issues.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:07 PM

136 posts, read 80,824 times
Don't worry OP.....you sound like you are intelligent and organized, an employee that most employers would want. I wonder if your e-mails to the new boss are being filtered automatically into the junk file? That might happen if you have a generic e-maill address from hotmail or yahoo. It's good that you are calling them tomorrow about the schedule...they'll appreciate it.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:44 PM

139 posts, read 101,994 times
We recently lost our son (<1 year, due to health issues), and took a few weeks off. My bosses have so far been understanding. Of course, I work in tech, and allowed to work remotely anytime. However, I did want these weeks off, and did give a heads up by both email as well as text messages (if they didn't respond, would have called), and they were all understanding.

The situation I am in was expected (but not the outcome), so I did actually tell my bosses that if they wanted to let me go, I understand, but I will need the time off based on the situation I was (and am) in. They understood.

Have been with the company for ~3 years (and have gotten 20+% pay hikes in the time here), so I guess I'm valued - but even if not, I will take it as it comes.

Sometimes, life throws meteorites at you, and there is nothing except for you to face it head on - even if takes you down.

Please take care of your mother, but more importantly, take care of yourself / your family - emotionally, psychologically, financially - all in equal order. You prioritize what you want. It is fine if others cannot relate and/or cannot understand and/or cannot sym/empathize. [EDIT] and, many many times, many others (sometimes even within family), many will NOT be able to understand what you are going through, so "take care of yourself" is extremely important.

Last edited by kach1947; 02-27-2018 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: <Add>

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Go to work as planned and when you're there tell the boss...if you see him..that you had sent him 2 e-mails about the sudden need to change the schedule slightly...I'm sure it will not be a problem.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,268,907 times
If you need an immediate answer always call instead of email,even if email is the preferred method of communication. Personal issues like yours require direct communication.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,045,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
just curious is there a reason why you cant leave to see your parent at 5pm instead of 430pm? What is the cause of having to move it up half an hour?
Agree, I'm also wondering why the OP is willing to create a conflict at the start of a new job over a half hour. There has to be more to the store as it's not showing much maturity. As an employer and human, I have dealt with family situations that needed scheduling modifications. It's not that big a deal. BUT, for half an hour before one even starts a new job???? That is going to have a lasting negative impact IF they decide to keep the person on. I can absolutely understand an employer having second thoughts on the person and decide to dump them now.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Look at how many posts , and how long the people who are responding to you have been on this site. Then look at how many posts you have, and you just joined.

You simply wanted everyone to validate what you feel and think, and just because they thought differently than you, you don't like their answers. If you are going to be that thin skinned, you will be driving yourself nuts every time someone posts something you do not like to hear.

You keep beating this dead horse, even though you have gotten enough answers, on both sides of the table, to help you make that decision. Time to let it go.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:01 PM

18 posts, read 8,204 times
My boss has agreed to an earlier leave time.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2018 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Way off-topic.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
always call if you need an immediate response - emails are tended to be viewed as more non-urgent and quite honestly, could be easily overlooked with many emails coming in through-out the day. You certainly want to talk to your new boss and let them know why you're requesting the change

good luck
Exactly. I prefer email too, but if it is important, call. "Hey boss, I am sure you are slammed. I sent you a note regarding a schedule request. I'll reply to it so its on top of your inbox. Let me know if we can make this adjustment, thanks for your flexibility. I'll check in on Thursday if I do not hear back."

Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 AM

30,675 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Evidently, you don't take criticism well. You asked for advice, and that is all people are doing.

It ALWAYS looks bad when a new employee starts off with issues. NO employer wants anyone to come in and start asking for exceptions or accomodations.

Yes, family is important, but so are good jobs. You landed the job,so you should be grateful and find other care for your parent. The flags always go up when someone starts off like this, and it usually goes down hill rapidly.
This is the reality of the situation. Unless I was told this up front at the interview (and specifically told about this issue, not just some general "I may need flexibility in my schedule), as an employer I'd be looking for the quickest way out in such circumstances. This is especially true if you're asking for special treatment/accommodations before you've even had the chance to prove your worth to the company. Best of luck to you, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment