Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 AM

403 posts, read 364,404 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So I just finished a whole interview cycle with a company and they are about to make me an offer. However, I gave my expectations on the "lower end" because I've been passed on in the past by giving out what I really wanted and figured "give a lower number now, then negotiate later".

Any tips or advice? Also, I originally said "market rate" in the first phone screen, and then they asked what I wanted after the on-site interview was done so it's not like I can say "After learning more about the responsibilities of this role..". Or can I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,225,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Hi All,

So I just finished a whole interview cycle with a company and they are about to make me an offer. However, I gave my expectations on the "lower end" because I've been passed on in the past by giving out what I really wanted and figured "give a lower number now, then negotiate later".

Any tips or advice? Also, I originally said "market rate" in the first phone screen, and then they asked what I wanted after the on-site interview was done so it's not like I can say "After learning more about the responsibilities of this role..". Or can I?
Salary is always negotiable, but the employer always has the upper hand. You have one potential employer, they have many potential employees.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 AM

139 posts, read 101,912 times
Yes, you can negotiate - given you know the range for the position. From personal experience, until the paper offer is made, you can negotiate the compensation - with the range offered for that position, as well as how much of a hike it would be compared to your previous/current position that you are moving from.

How do you know your offer was on the lower end? Was it based on glassdoor / search history for salary comps? Or did you actually ask for the range?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Salary is always negotiable, but the employer always has the upper hand. You have one potential employer, they have many potential employees.
Sure, I get that but I do have one other offer as well (forgot to mention that) so this company has been expediting the process because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach1947 View Post
Yes, you can negotiate - given you know the range for the position. From personal experience, until the paper offer is made, you can negotiate the compensation - with the range offered for that position, as well as how much of a hike it would be compared to your previous/current position that you are moving from.

How do you know your offer was on the lower end? Was it based on glassdoor / search history for salary comps? Or did you actually ask for the range?
Yeah, glassdoor and search history, and I'm pretty familiar with the industry range so I went with a "safe" number.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:27 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
You never know what a company is going to do. My brother said he needed X amount of dollars to take a job, and they offered him significantly more than his bottom line to bring him on board.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
What?

Are you suggesting that OP is not capable of interviewing with multiple employers and having multiple job offers to choose from?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You never know what a company is going to do. My brother said he needed X amount of dollars to take a job, and they offered him significantly more than his bottom line to bring him on board.
Haha, let's hope that is the case!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,550,306 times
Be honest and respectful and outline why you want/deserve the salary number you present to them. If they are a respectable company they will at least work with you and not reject you outright for trying to negotiate. I've never had a job offer rescinded due to attempting to negotiate. I have been told no and that their offer is final.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
Fact: It depends on how much value you bring to a company as to the opportunity to negotiate a salary, and how many other applicants can bring as much or more to the company as you appear to bring.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 PM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times
https://theinterviewguys.com/job-interview-salary/

https://cultivatedculture.com/salary-negotiation/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment