Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 920,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
What?

Are you suggesting that OP is not capable of interviewing with multiple employers and having multiple job offers to choose from?
Exactly. This is a case of supply and demand though. If you're going for an unskilled position, Willamette City's comment is fair as there is a high if not unlimited source of workers. If you are targeting a skilled position, you have a lot more leeway - and that doesn't just include other offers, but how attractive your personality is, your long-term intentions, your professional experience/qualifications, and how generally USEFUL you are going to be in the position. Even for a semi-skilled position you may be able to negotiate a little if you have a solid background, look presentable and have a head on your shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,750,073 times
See what they offer first and if it's too low then tell them what you need to make. Either they'll counter or they won't.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:28 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Exactly. This is a case of supply and demand though. If you're going for an unskilled position, Willamette City's comment is fair as there is a high if not unlimited source of workers. If you are targeting a skilled position, you have a lot more leeway - and that doesn't just include other offers, but how attractive your personality is, your long-term intentions, your professional experience/qualifications, and how generally USEFUL you are going to be in the position. Even for a semi-skilled position you may be able to negotiate a little if you have a solid background, look presentable and have a head on your shoulders.
Of course. If you interview exceptionally well and stand out significantly from the rest of the candidates, you will likely have some leverage. Only once did I have a prospective employer walk away from the negotiation table and rescind an offer. But it was with a tiny meat processing firm who probably didn't have the flexibility or inclination to negotiate for talent. During my last job searching experience, I had a company roll out the red carpet and offer a big bump in pay from their initial offer. So either I stood out exceptionally well, or the talent pool was sub par relatively speaking.

Last edited by Left-handed; 02-28-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM

139 posts, read 101,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Sure, I get that but I do have one other offer as well (forgot to mention that) so this company has been expediting the process because of that.

Yeah, glassdoor and search history, and I'm pretty familiar with the industry range so I went with a "safe" number.
Given that you have a competing offer (congrats on that as well, btw), you should definitely go higher. Even if B offers less than A, you should ask for more from A, mentioning that you have a competing offer which has higher total comp (or similar words). Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:21 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
There are so many reasons you might change what you originally requested. If you got an offer from A that offers a slightly lower salary but has a much better benefits package overall that comes out to a value that is greater than what you originally requested from B, you can certainly go back to B and say you’re going to go with A unless they can make it worth it for you to come there. Salary is just one part of the overall package, and if you gave a salary ballpark with certain expectations with respect to benefits and hours that turned out to be based on false assumptions, it is absolutely fine to continue to negotiate until you accept an offer.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:47 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,255,606 times
the salary ranges for each band where I work typically span $20k so I would say there's quite a lot of leeway to ask for a little more as long as you don't cross into the next salary band so for a senior manager 70-90k is the range you could possibly ask.

There is a certain degree of overlap so a senior manager could earn more than a director in certain situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment